Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

This is a discussion on Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NY27 The 20SF is in case I startle a big backie "blackie"?...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    The 20SF is in case I startle a big backie
    "blackie"?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    "blackie"?
    Ya man, that's New England speak for Black Bear. At least it was when I lived in Maine and you'd see the things every morning rooting around in your trash or taking out your bird feeders.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm going to Montana in a few weeks. The biggest caliber I own is .40 so I'll be toting my G 23. I know it wouldn't take down a grizzly but it's better than nothing.

I'll probably buy some bear spray if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I'm going to Montana in a few weeks. The biggest caliber I own is .40 so I'll be toting my G 23. I know it wouldn't take down a grizzly but it's better than nothing.

Gives you something to do while he is ticked off and mauls ya
    Chaplain Scott and hinkleid like this.

Glock 20 with full mags :)
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

VIP Member
    Smith and Wesson 500. at least a 44 mag. read up on bears there are certain things you should and should not do if you have a run in with them.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Wait tell hunting season starts then buy a bear tag & carry a .300 mag or better, & you will never see a bear......

I go fishing a couple times a year in Colorado and have done so for the last 20 years. I have only seen one bear, but lots of scat. I do carry a Taurus Tracker in .44 with hard cast. I keep it in a chest pack that I carry for fishing. I find myself more concerned with some of the 2 legged animals I meet on the trail as we move from camp or fishing spot. I am with the locals and keep the head on a swivel for cats. Stop at a ranger station and talk to them, they will tell you if there has been movement and where it has been. They are also great sources of info on how to keep a clean camp if you are new to camping in cat and bear country. Go and Enjoy!
    Ill be there in 3 weeks for a 10 day hicking, fishing, camping trip and can not wait. This time of year I have more run-ins with Elk that have no concern when they walk up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Just carry someone slower than you.
    I would say a rabid dog....but bait works well I must say.

In eastern ID I have seen many grizzlies (close to Yellowstone). Fortunately, at a distance and not close. Many more grizzlies than the one mountain lion I have seen in my entire life. The cougars are stealthy and you don't even know they are around, yet they are. It is rare to hear of cat attacks. Well at least here.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    I go fishing a couple times a year in Colorado and have done so for the last 20 years. I have only seen one bear, but lots of scat. I do carry a Taurus Tracker in .44 with hard cast. I keep it in a chest pack that I carry for fishing. I find myself more concerned with some of the 2 legged animals I meet on the trail as we move from camp or fishing spot. I am with the locals and keep the head on a swivel for cats. Stop at a ranger station and talk to them, they will tell you if there has been movement and where it has been. They are also great sources of info on how to keep a clean camp if you are new to camping in cat and bear country. Go and Enjoy!
    Ill be there in 3 weeks for a 10 day hicking, fishing, camping trip and can not wait. This time of year I have more run-ins with Elk that have no concern when they walk up on me.
    Excellent advice. Thanks! I'm seriously considering the Taurus Raging Bull for my wilderness defense handgun. While more gun is always good, it seems the consensus of most who live in CO that a .44 is plenty of gun to dissuade a Black Bear or a Mountain Lion.

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post

You'll be fine. Those with big powerful pistols better hope they never have to face down a charging bear. Their epitaph will read "one and I'm done," or "two and I was through." Bear spray is often not purchased by those who fly as it's not allowed on commercial flights, but it's a good investment even if you have to give it away when you leave. Ask around, as there are some outfitter stores that will rent it to you.

Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

I took quite a few trips into bear/bear country around Christmas as my parents live in Colorado Springs. We went on at least half a dozen hiking trips into the mountains. I decided on my G36 loaded with some Buffalo Bore 255gr. HCFN .45 Super rounds. Thankfully no bear/cougar incidents to report but I did have a good deal more confidence than the last time I went hiking up there with naught but a 9mm. Having my dog along was a security too. I trust his sixth sense for danger. Speaking of, I did have a hairy encounter with the largest mule deer I've ever seen. Now to preface I've walked/stalked up on many a mule deer in my day and they're either completely apathetic to my presence or they just move on to less congested sleeping grounds. Anyways, I walked up to this bruiser with my iPhone camera rolling to see how close this guy would let me get. To my absolute surprise, he let me get within 10 yds and then got up, pinned his ears back, lowered his head and started my way. I immediately reached for my G36 and started back peddling. He kept coming. I was in an open meadow with no trees to put between us so I knew I was going to have to shoot it he started moving any faster. I kept about an 8-10 yard buffer the whole time but he could've closed that distance in seconds if he wanted to. He then stopped, pawed the ground and then kept coming my way. This time I drew my gun and started yelling at him. I was with my wife, my brother in law and my dog. I failed to mention my dog was barking his fool head off right at my side the whole time. I was glad he had the sense not to charge (he weighs about 50lbs and is only 7 months old) as that would have only made things worse and I would've been explaining to the game warden why I shot a Pope and Young muley out of season with my .45. After we started yelling this old guy decided we weren't worth his time anymore and he stopped. He then just stared us down as we walked out of the field. Like I said, I've been bowhunting deer since I was 12 and I've NEVER seen a deer (whitetail or muley) be aggressive towards a human. I guess this guy work up on the wrong side of the meadow that day. Glad I didn't have to shoot him or get an antler in the gut. Did I mention I got all this on camera. It was quite the souvenir.

God Bless

Here's a zoomed in screenshot from the video. I couldn't get the video to load because it's too big.
    Attached Images

Where we camp the threat is big dumb cats...that is, young lazy cats not afraid of human kind...there are bears but they really fight shy of human camps and bears dont think your young as prey..and they all get hunted with dogs..all the adults in camp have side arms...wife carrys a p-9 kahr...daughter a Makarov...son-n-law cz 40cal, I like my bulldog, but if we'v got the boys out hunting n Im feelin sporty then I carry a 7" S&W in long colt..I packed meat "pro-hunting" in my youth in Alaska..and carried a old army SA Ruger 44mag (and a screw driver)...but in my old age and with my experience I would not think of "sharing" grizzly country without a long gun, rifle, shotgun whatever, at my side...I think if I was outfitting for a "hike" I'd go with a big bore short barrel revolver..and a single classy tiny silver bell..(its the strangeness of the sound they will hear)...take some bird shot rounds for spruce hens...or noizy varmits..have fun..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links