What's a good home defense round?

This is a discussion on What's a good home defense round? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Taurus 605 (snubbie.357). What would be a good home defense round? The guy at the gun shop was pushing a .38 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good home defense round?

I just purchased a Taurus 605 (snubbie.357). What would be a good home defense round? The guy at the gun shop was pushing a .38 special round which I thought was weird. Anyone have any recommendations???
    Walk softly....

Lead Moderator
    What type home? any others present? Other than next to you? Research over pentration and what works , but typically, the same rounds for carrying work well for HD.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Almost any centerfire pistol round will penetrate the average
    home door or wall.

The only possible exceptions are the frangible/shotfilled types.
    I do not consider them optimal for home defense.

I have a Taurus 651 in .357 , and it is always loaded with
    full power 158gr JHPs

Practice with the load you choose - and follow the rule of
    ALWAYS being sure of your target.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Rule number 4 ~ Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Choose what you think is best and works for you. Just know what is beyond your intended target. Nothing is fool proof coming out of a gun barrel.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Actually, I will carry it more than anything....that is what I meant....but couldn't think of the word...ah well.....
    Walk softly....

Golden sabres is what I use in my Snubbie 357. I shoot pretty good with them, If I do say so myself......
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

Remember The Old Saying...

speak softly and carry a big caliber...any .45 will do!
    Winchester's Ranger SXT Controlled Exansion 45 Auto 230 Gr SXT comes to mind.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Beyond size discussions the best round for any defense situation is the one that you are most comfortable with fired from the weapon you are most skilled with. A shotty in the closet isn't worth much if you "forget" how to use it in the heat of the moment.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Remington Golden Saber .357

I often wear a S&W model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel around the house. I keep it loaded with Remington Golden Saber .357 magnum 125 grain ammo. The ballistics from a 4 inch barrel are given by Remington as muzzle velocity 1220 fps and 413 ft-lbs energy. I figure that in a snubby they probably have 1100 fps velocity. Its not a .357 hunting round, but it has a lot more zip than any .38 special +P. The muzzle flash and recoil are not bad in my gun.

Remington Golden Saber ammo website

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've gone completely to either the Federal Expanding Point FMJ, or Corbon Pow'rball for all of my defensive rounds, especially in my 9mm guns. . While hollow points are great, clothing can clog the hollow point, preventing expansion. Not too big of a problem with a .45,since it's going to punch a pretty big hole anyway, but when you essentially turn your 9mm hollow point to FMJ, it's a problem. As AKsrule said, virtually any centerfire round will penetrate the wall of a dwelling. So, I'm less concerned about that than getting the job done if I fire at someone while defending my home and family.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. If going with a mid-power .357 load, I've had very good luck with the Corbon 125-gr. DPX, followed by Remington's 125-gr. Golden Saber. In full-power, I continue to use the "old technology" Winchester 145-gr. Silvertips.

If interested, here is a related link:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...DPX%20Ammo.htm

Best.

VIP Member
    The best is a 12 GA Shotgun!

I like our S&W 640 .357 loaded with 125gr JHP's. I carry Corbon DPX on the street but being a "deep penetration" round would not choose it for the home as our houses are very close in this neighborhood. A miss with a DPX could conceivably enter the neighbors home.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by CubSmurf View Post
    I just purchased a Taurus 605 (snubbie.357). What would be a good home defense round? The guy at the gun shop was pushing a .38 special round which I thought was weird. Anyone have any recommendations???
    First off - are you an experienced shooter? Are you the only one in your residence who will be using the weapon (wife)? If you have a wife who may use the weapon, is she an experienced shooter? The answers to these questions may have caused the response from your guy at the gun shop. If your not experienced get .38 special +P hollow points until you get experienced and feel comfortable with magnum loads. Hopefully your wife (if you have one) will take the same training initiative. If both of you are comfortable with .357 magnum loads thats what I would opt for.
    My personal preference in this caliber is the old faithful Federal 125 grain JHP, but when your talking about a round with this power, the exact brand of JHP doesn't really matter. Brand names in this case will be debated by men who argue about the number of angels who can dance on the tip of a pen.... useless discussion.

I agree with the gun shop guy. .357 is punishing from a snubbie and the flash and report will not be fun in an enclosed space. You should carry the snubbie but get a full sized gun for home defense.
    "To my mind, it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - The Nuge

Thanks all for the thoughts! I carry an XD 45 which I have become very proficient with! I bought the 357 as a 'fun gun'. I opted for the snubbie, in case I chose to carry it. 357 with a 5 inch barrel would be fun, but not easy to carry per say......I plan on going to the range once a week to get proficient with the snubbie. Was just looking for some good carry ammo, for when I decide to carry it. Thanks again all!
    Walk softly....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links