Range Report: S & W 360PD

This is a discussion on Range Report: S & W 360PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had one sold it the recoil was more than I cared to endure. I have a 475 Linebaugh that I could shoot 350 grain LBT ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Range Report: S & W 360PD

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Ramjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    601
    Had one sold it the recoil was more than I cared to endure. I have a 475 Linebaugh that I could shoot 350 grain LBT full house rounds and they did not hit like that little gun did. Great concept but poorly initiated IMHO might make great BUG though.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array 357and40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    2,282
    I own a S&W 360. Deadguy & I bought them the same day. Discovered very fast that if you keep your shoulder and elbow loose & your wrist & grip firm it resolves a decent amount of recoil.

    I suggest getting used to firing it DA. Shooting it SA (if yours is anything like mine) it has a trigger that could be set off by a gnat fart.

    I either carry it in an uncle mikes #4 pocket holster, a desantis ankle rig, or a comp tac 2 o'clock. I have a Desantis Tuck This 2, but it just isnt my favorite. IT is not bad, just not as good as the others.

    GREAT gun!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Good question. Supposedly this statement refers to .357 magnum rds only. Magnum bullets weighing less than 120 grains will exit their cartridge before the cartridge charge has a chance to completely burn. This charge will leak out onto the cylinder and frame while still burning, causing damaging oxidation to the gun's exotic materials over time. This was my source for this information.

    Genitron.com: Handgun Reviews-Smith & Wesson 360PD Revolver
    The REAL reason for this is because of the inertia from the first shot or second shot, pulling the bullet loose from the case, and causing it to protrude enough forward of the cylinder to tie up the cylinder.

    If this happens on the right side of the cylinder, it is a time consuming pain in the ass to clear. It renders the piece inoperable.
    It has nothing to do with powder on the frame. And, if you notice, just under the topstrap, forward of the forcing cone, there is a protective shield that is meant to protect the scandium material from " flame cutting", which is a common occurrence in magnum loads.
    All magnum revolvers fired with full house magnum loads, even solid steel ones will show some flame cutting with use. It only goes so far and stops.
    What concerns me about this model is I have seen flame cuts that are almost as deep as the thin little piece of steel they are using to protect that topstrap.
    It's your gun, but I think it's meant to be shot very sparingly with magnum loads.
    ctr likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  5. #19
    Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I own a S&W 360. Deadguy & I bought them the same day. Discovered very fast that if you keep your shoulder and elbow loose & your wrist & grip firm it resolves a decent amount of recoil.

    GREAT gun!
    right there.

    This method made a world of difference in felt recoil. Sounds crazy but it works with these little cannons.

    IMO you have the best pocket/deep concealment/versatile SD platform available. Love mine.

    For those sweating the price on the PD model, the plain 360 can be had for a few hundred less.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The REAL reason for this is because of the inertia from the first shot or second shot, pulling the bullet loose from the case, and causing it to protrude enough forward of the cylinder to tie up the cylinder.

    If this happens on the right side of the cylinder, it is a time consuming pain in the ass to clear. It renders the piece inoperable.
    It has nothing to do with powder on the frame. And, if you notice, just under the topstrap, forward of the forcing cone, there is a protective shield that is meant to protect the scandium material from " flame cutting", which is a common occurrence in magnum loads.
    All magnum revolvers fired with full house magnum loads, even solid steel ones will show some flame cutting with use. It only goes so far and stops.
    What concerns me about this model is I have seen flame cuts that are almost as deep as the thin little piece of steel they are using to protect that topstrap.
    It's your gun, but I think it's meant to be shot very sparingly with magnum loads.
    I'm sure you're probably correct. Thanks for taking the time to share the information. It makes me wonder where Dan Smith got his information though. Like you, I don't think it's made to take a lot of magnum loads. I don't really think it's made to take a lot of loads period. But for its intended purpose of deep concealment self defense (that's what I bought it for anyway), it's a pretty dandy little gun.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  7. #21
    VIP Member
    Array ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Really? I've been doing it with snap caps and don't find it to be all that much of a problem. Why is it dangerous?
    Add adrenaline and stress to the mix. Cock the hammer, but thumb slips and round goes somewhere other than intended. It would suck to be you at that moment, right?

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Add adrenaline and stress to the mix. Cock the hammer, but thumb slips and round goes somewhere other than intended. It would suck to be you at that moment, right?
    Thanks for the advice and I can see your point. That's something worth considering. But then, you had to add something else, that "sucks to be you" remark. I don't know about you, but I'll just bet that in every instance where a gun is involved, it's pretty much going to be a "sucking" situation. You shoot somebody, it's justified, it's a minority teenager with a cute sixth grade photo, and your life will suck. So, a sixth grader shoots you because you're hesitant to draw, once again, that sucks right? You draw, misfire, and hit a pregnant woman killing both her and the unborn child. Two counts of negligent homicide. Hell, that sucks too..doesn't it?

    I practice. I read this forum. I learn. Tossing in the condescending remark after you have made your point doesn't strengthen your argument, it diminishes it. But sincerely, thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and I can see your point. That's something worth considering. But then, you had to add something else, that "sucks to be you" remark. I don't know about you, but I'll just bet that in every instance where a gun is involved, it's pretty much going to be a "sucking" situation. You shoot somebody, it's justified, it's a minority teenager with a cute sixth grade photo, and your life will suck. So, a sixth grader shoots you because you're hesitant to draw, once again, that sucks right? You draw, misfire, and hit a pregnant woman killing both her and the unborn child. Two counts of negligent homicide. Hell, that sucks too..doesn't it?

    I practice. I read this forum. I learn. Tossing in the condescending remark after you have made your point doesn't strengthen your argument, it diminishes it. But sincerely, thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.
    There was no condescension in my post. The question was asked and I answered. No elaboration on why because so many bad yet predictable outcomes can happen in that situation.

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    There was no condescension in my post. The question was asked and I answered. No elaboration on why because so many bad yet predictable outcomes can happen in that situation.
    Sorry. Perhaps I misread your remark or read more into it than you intended. Either way, my apologies. Thanks again for the advice. However, it still begs the question...if it was never intended to be fired that way; why did Smith & Wesson leave the hammer fully exposed?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  11. #25
    Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lower hudson valley ny
    Posts
    849
    personally.....a 442 with 158 grain +p lswhp....plenty for me...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

  12. #26
    VIP Member
    Array ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Sorry. Perhaps I misread your remark or read more into it than you intended. Either way, my apologies. Thanks again for the advice. However, it still begs the question...if it was never intended to be fired that way; why did Smith & Wesson leave the hammer fully exposed?
    The design is close to seventy years old. Back in the day they 1) may not have known any better as far as stress and accidents goand 2) might not have cared about cocking the hammer to shoot a fleeing suspect who committed a violent crime.

    The hammer has its place, but I would say not on a draw, and not to shoot a distance shot for the civilian. My thoughts anyway.

  13. #27
    Member Array GunByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Really? I've been doing it with snap caps and don't find it to be all that much of a problem. Why is it dangerous?
    The short answer, if you want to save some money on training or buying a book on the defensive use of a handgun, is that when you practice at home or on the range you are not under the tremendous stress of life and death which diverts your blood into your large muscles, dumps more adrenaline into you then you ever experienced before and makes it difficult to do things that require fine motor skills, no matter how many times you practice them in safety and at your own pace, time and place of choosing.

    BTW, your post sounds more of a challenge than a question due to starting it with "really" which is kind of surprising as what you ask is basic knowledge easily found in many gun forums and articles by recognized experts and trainers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

357 magnum 360 pd revolver review
,

360pd

,

360pd review

,
model 360 .357 magnum
,
s & w 360pd
,
s and w 360pd
,
s&w 360pd
,

s&w 360pd review

,

smith 360pd

,

smith and wesson 360pd

,
smith and wesson 360pd review
,
smith wesson 360pd review
Click on a term to search for related topics.