What to do.... What to do

This is a discussion on What to do.... What to do within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did something I'm regretting "I think".... I had a Sig p238 (loved it) for about a year and used it as my carry gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What to do.... What to do

I did something I'm regretting "I think".... I had a Sig p238 (loved it) for about a year and used it as my carry gun. I had the opportunity to purchase the new Sig P938 Extream.... so I didand love that as well. my thinking was it would allow me to pack a little more punch, if needed. So, i got to thinking, why do you still need the P238, I could sell it and offset the cost of the new one... So I did. I figure they were close in caliber, so why keep two of the like style guns. Now its been about two weeks and i can't get the little ******* out of my mind... so now i'm thinking..... well, you know, maybe I will just pick up another one, is that crazy

Tom

It is a little unusual, in a new relationship, to remain fixated on a previous love. Perhaps a greater emphasis on fully developing the new relationship would help get you through this.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    What it really depends on is your financial situation. If you can afford to buy another one then it's not crazy. It's eccentric.

If you need the money then , yes it's crazy.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    I did something I'm regretting "I think".... I had a Sig p238 (loved it) for about a year and used it as my carry gun. I had the opportunity to purchase the new Sig P938 Extream.... so I didand love that as well. my thinking was it would allow me to pack a little more punch, if needed. So, i got to thinking, why do you still need the P238, I could sell it and offset the cost of the new one... So I did. I figure they were close in caliber, so why keep two of the like style guns. Now its been about two weeks and i can't get the little ******* out of my mind... so now i'm thinking..... well, you know, maybe I will just pick up another one, is that crazy

Tom
    Well, it's not practical, especially if you like the one you have and the one you sold the same. I'd keep the money and wait tll something completely different comes your way. Maybe a S&W Model 19 revolver in .357 Magnum, an older heavier one - (don't get a lightweight!) - anyway, something like that.

Maybe a wait a bit til you're clearer on what you want/need the most.

My view anyway...

Welcome to the forum Tom.

Its not crazy, get another one when you are able.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have the P238 and want the 938. I have regretted every time I sold a gun. Here's list.

In order if regret.

Glock 30
    Sig P230
    Winchester 1300 Defender
    S&W Model 60 38

All were sold durring hard times.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Another thread to confirm my philosophy on selling any of my guns - NEVER!!
    stancehold likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

^^^^AMEN^^^^

VIP Member
    Guns are kind of like a good woman. Once their gone, you realize how much you miss them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    What it really depends on is your financial situation. If you can afford to buy another one then it's not crazy. It's eccentric.

If you need the money then , yes it's crazy.
    That pretty much sums it up. From a practical standpoint, if you now have a gun that does the same job even better than the P238, then you don't need the P238. Of course, if financially money is no object, then it's like atctimmy said.

I sold my 1911 and have regretted it. I have yet to buy another but I keep my eyes peeled. Then I sold my Buckmark 22 ans regretted that also. I have since bought another Buckmark. Lesson learned for me, don't sell guns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the advice..... I think i should wait to see how i feel after i break her in. i have also had my eye on a bretta 85 cheetah in 380.. we will see.. And i have sold more darn guns over the years then i care to think about. I done doing that as well... too many regrets.

Fellas, fellas....

Guns are tools. There are thousands, or tens of thousands made for each "special" gun we may own. I have been given walking papers from 3 companies in the past 7 years, and every time it was because of the economy - not my performance. In each case I had no choice but to sell some guns in order to make ends meet. Guns are as good as gold or silver when it comes to liquidity and maybe better when it comes to increased value over time.

I was glad I had some quality guns that I could sell quickly when I needed money. I have had no trouble buying the guns back once my financial issues (found a new job) improved. I think that's the main reason my better-half never complains about my gun "collection". She knows they are a good investment and can be converted into cash if needed. Now if I was into X-box or Playstation and put money into games and accessories I would probably have a hard time justifying it since those things don't maintain any cash value...

Do I really need another gun? No...but if it's a quality firearm and likely to increase in value, it's a good business decision!
    atctimmy likes this.

Been shooting close to 50 years inherited a few weapons ,had some presented, a few gifts and bought some.
    I have gotten rid of one in all that time I destroyed it because it was an R&G peace of junk and I did not want anyone ever trying to use it.
    Two items you will always have second thoughts about once it is gone.
    And good weapon and a Harley

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Fellas, fellas....

Guns are tools. There are thousands, or tens of thousands made for each "special" gun we may own. I have been given walking papers from 3 companies in the past 7 years, and every time it was because of the economy - not my performance. In each case I had no choice but to sell some guns in order to make ends meet. Guns are as good as gold or silver when it comes to liquidity and maybe better when it comes to increased value over time.

I was glad I had some quality guns that I could sell quickly when I needed money. I have had no trouble buying the guns back once my financial issues (found a new job) improved. I think that's the main reason my better-half never complains about my gun "collection". She knows they are a good investment and can be converted into cash if needed. Now if I was into X-box or Playstation and put money into games and accessories I would probably have a hard time justifying it since those things don't maintain any cash value...

Do I really need another gun? No...but if it's a quality firearm and likely to increase in value, it's a good business decision!
    You are right - guns are tools. But the problem is the owners are human! Some of us have irrational attachments to our possessions.

I'd never part with my old Remington 581 that I bought when I was 14. I hold that gun and I think of that kid walking around in the country woods in the early 1980's, looking for squirrels and crows. Or my Dad's Colt Agent. First .38 I ever shot. Not an especially valuable gun to anyone else, but it means a lot to me.

I have a *few* guns I would part with, but most I won't.

(Of course, if time were tough, and I needed to make ends meet, pay the mortgage or feed the kids, that's another story....but I'd find a way to still hang on to the 581 and the Colt...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links