Rethinking my RETHINKING !

This is a discussion on Rethinking my RETHINKING ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted weeks back that I'd like to transition to carrying my G19 most of the time and Colt Gov't Model in winter,as opposed to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By Thunder71
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71

Thread: Rethinking my RETHINKING !

Rethinking my RETHINKING !

I posted weeks back that I'd like to transition to carrying my G19 most of the time and Colt Gov't Model in winter,as opposed to my Colt OM. WELL, I think I CHANGED my mind. As it stands now, I have more accessories(extra mags,holsters etc.) to support carrying the OM over the larger Series 70 Colt. Now, my OM is a 1st Gen(1985 vintage)and has been worked by some of the best(Wilson,Heinie,Dino@the old Siles in NYC)and is extremely reliable. So my question is this: at ranges(15 yards and IN)that most confrontations occur with a handgun....am I giving up anything with the OM compared to the larger,heavier,more difficult to carry/conceal Gov't Model? I run Wilson Combat mags and she can handle everything from "full-choke"type rounds(CCI 200gr.'Flying Ashtrays')to easy-to-digest 230gr hardball. The gun works! My mind says the OM at those type ranges gets the job done. Interested in what my friends here at DC have to say(especially OM owners). THANKS!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    At those ranges, I don't see anything that the OM can't do just as well as the Gov't. I also don't see anything that G19 can't do either, with close to 3X the capacity as well. Caliber and capacity aside, all three would be fine chioces. Flip a coin.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm in GA..so 80% of the time my old duty-gun,the G19,will be on me...with my SP101 nearby. I LOVE my Colts and want to give them some holster time,so figured in the "GA winter" the Colt OM can get some use. Thanks for the input...you are correct Sir!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Once you figure it out, it'll all change again. :)

As for me, I decided there's nothing to figure out - I take it day by day... and trust me, you don't know what winter is.

VIP Member
    "GA winter" ... Right! That's funny, right there.

Northern Michigan in February, now THAT is winter!
    Thunder71 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

What do you give up? If you look at just exterior ballistics, about 20% of muzzle energy compared to the full-size 1911. That leaves you with still about a 20% advantage over a short-barrelled .38 Special, and there are plenty of us here who don't feel under-gunned with a .38 snub. Not to mention the bigger holes the .45 will make! I doubt there is any convincing hard evidence that says an OM-length 1911 just isn't a fight-stopper compared to the full-size.

I think it was wise to re-re-think your decision. Sounds like you've got a winner there - reliable, you have all the stuff to go with it, plus - you're comfortable with the gun. I'm not a small guy, and I carried a 5" 1911 for years when it was the only defensive gun I owned, but I really appreciate the 1 inch shorter length of the 4-incher I carry frequently now. I can easily see your reluctance to carry something longer. You're already ahead of the curve since you carry a gun.

Stay safe, brother.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Whatever you think best. I like carrying a 45ACP especially in winter. What's your Officer's Model going to lack over the full size anyway? Winter in GA? That means a frost right? Higher prices for peaches.....etc.

I'd say you are good to go!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Once you figure it out, it'll all change again. :)

As for me, I decided there's nothing to figure out - I take it day by day... and trust me, you don't know what winter is.
    With you on that brother...but I'm a NY'er(til 6 years ago)so I do KNOW snow....just NOT Minnesota snow!(LOL)
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

That "GA winter" quote is biting me square on the....(LOL)
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

cooler months give me a chance to carry a few of my larger guns OWB under a light windbreaker (my winter clothes). Otherwise, its a G19.

...and Florida "snow" is something that comes into Miami on an unregistered Cuban Fishing vessel.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    IMO the difference in ballistic at that range, aren't enough to matter. If the OM works for you, then by all means use it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links