Suggestions for my new carry gun with light??

This is a discussion on Suggestions for my new carry gun with light?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Logistar, have you seen the Sig GSR??? Originally posted by logistar I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for my new carry gun with light??

Logistar, have you seen the Sig GSR???

Originally posted by logistar
    I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you guys could help. Here is what I am thinking:

.45 (would consider other calibers)
    MUST have Picatinny/Weaver light rail
    Must be DA/SA
    Must be able to find holster for it and light
    Thinner is better
    Longer barrel is good (around 4in maybe)
    Short grip is OK.
    Lightweight is good...

Any suggestions??? Holsters seem to be hard to find for any gun with a light attached.

2. Remove Ads

Originally posted by APachon
    nf9648, I just got the 2005 Catalog of Para offerings. The LDA will also be availabel with a rail. If you do go the Para route, you will be very pleased with the purchase. The PXT extractor is completely reliable, and rips brass out with authority...

~A
    Thats good as long as it doesnt rip the brass...Im cheap and like to recycle.;)

I hope it\'s not to late but go look at a Glock 23 .40 S&W excellent carry weapon w/ light rail and many holster options. I carry one daily and refuse to go out w/o it.

:(You guys go ahead with you bullet magnets.....oops lights. I will wait here. Sorry, I would not have one if it were free.

IMO, flashlights are much overused, and can create almost as many problems as they solve. Do you want to point a firearm at everything you wish to light up?? Yes, they are needed, but must be used with care.

I am still looking and with all the suggestions this might take a while but that\'s OK. I am fine at the moment.

I wasn\'t going to bring this up but why not....

Last summer I rented a cabin in the mountains. After a night downtown I returned to the cabin to retire for the night. The cabin was completely dark. There seemed to be no sign of anyone or any other vehicles around.

While I was assuming an innocent power failure it did seem kinda odd. I did have a flashlight (although not a great one) with me. - My \"good\" flashlight was in the car at home.. not in the rental I was driving. Also, my full-size Beretta was at home with a nice bright attached light.

If I\'d had the larger Beretta, I likely would have slipped the light off and used it by itself. It makes a nice compact and powerful light. I DO have a \"flashlight\" that I carry a lot but it is one more thing to have to worry about carrying. Since I carry MOST of the time with a shoulder rig... the attached light should not really be a problem.

Should I lose the bulb in my primary flashlight (or should it otherwise malfunction).. again I would have the gun-mounted light for backup.

IMHO - a weapon mounted light is mostly positive. You don\'t HAVE to turn it on while it is attached to the gun. I like options and I like being able to grab one \"item\" and know I have both a gun AND a light should I need one.

BTW - there HAD been a local power outage and power was returned 2 hours later. I found out the next day that 2 other cabins were affected.

Also had an incident last year where I ran into Cougar after dark on a trail. The light would have stayed ON the weapon if I\'d had one. I didn\'t like having to use the flashlight AND have a gun drawn AND try to slowly retreat.

If pics were allowed I would show you the thousands of rds worth of brass my wife and I have been saving for when I start reloading. Brass has no dents what-so-ever. Perfect for reloading.

~A

Originally posted by nf9648
    Originally posted by APachon
    nf9648, I just got the 2005 Catalog of Para offerings. The LDA will also be availabel with a rail. If you do go the Para route, you will be very pleased with the purchase. The PXT extractor is completely reliable, and rips brass out with authority...

~A
    Thats good as long as it doesnt rip the brass...Im cheap and like to recycle.;)

Sig Sauer P220ST

Your requirements are also MINE exactly. I did the research and settled on the P220. I intend to get a SureFire X200 to put on the rail. This will become my dedicated \"House Gun.\"

Your requirements are different than mine (I like a full sized autoloader). That is why I have relegated my 3\" Kimber Ultra Carry to the safe and now carry my FN Five-seveN on a 24/7 basis. When it is my dedicated \"House Gun\" in the evenings, it wears a Streamlight M3X tactical light. During the day for CCW, the light comes off and stays on the night stand. If I need a light while CCW, I use my Surefire E2D.

Works for me,
    MadDog :D

Why would anyone want their CCW gun to have a light? Sitting by your bedside, I can understand, but for everyday carry? No thanks.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

I actually have a full-size Beretta and the light works fine on it but it is a bit large for me to carry.

There are several reasons I want the light. I know many of you are critical of ANYONE mounting a light on a handgun for any reason.

Consider this situation and tell me if I am wrong. (Please)

It is DARK. I am returning from a trail. I (and others with me) hear a cat. I see eyes peek over a cliff. I have a hand held light AND I have a handgun (9mm at the time). I would have felt better right then with a weapon mounted light. I didn't like having to use one hand for the light and one for the 9mm. I kept everyone behind me as they headed out and I stayed between them and where I saw the cat.

Other than telling me I should not have been there in the first place :) why would the weapon mounted light have been a problem? I am not trying to flame anyone. It just seems like a good idea to me but I'd like to hear why this might not be such a good idea. It wouldn't be the first time that someone told me something I didn't think of! - (Putting on flame retardent suit!) ;)

Thanks!

I see where Puppage is coming from, but I think that if you have a handheld light as well you're in good shape as long as you don't mind the weapon being that much more cumbersome. Having just a weapon-mounted light to illuminate things is not good.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Springfield Make a 3inch 1911 45 that takes a light granted not Da/sa but.. i carry 3 guns that can take a light but never carry with the light on it and usually dont carry the light i have prefer hand held flashlight ... Guess im not tactile mall ninja enough .. :comeandge
    Last edited by Bud White; January 24th, 2005 at 07:23 PM.

There is IMHO only ONE carry gun which meets your requirements, and is "prosecutor proof" in case you actually have to use it for a hostile encounter: Sig P220 RT (I think that's the sig with integral light rail). This is going to be MY next purchase. I'm going to make it my dedicated HOUSE gun, since my standard carry gun is the little brother (also a 45): The P245. I like the Sig for a number of reasons, not the least of which is a DA trigger pull of 10.5 pounds and a subsequent SA trigger pull for every shot thereafter of 6.5 pounds. It's "prosecutor proof" because one of the most infamous "stupid lawyer tricks" used in going after private citizens who use deadly force in self defense, is to attempt to say that the gun actually "went off" by accident, thereby securing a conviction of negligent manslaughter in court. The prosecutors are able to assert this by allowing a jury composed specifically of twelve people of extraordinary ignorance on the topic of guns to dry fire the gun in court. A 1911 with a five pound pull and an over-travel stop will nonetheless "feel" like the proverbial "hair trigger" to the juror. But the long take up and steady pressure of the Sig leaves NO question that you knew the shot was coming and had nothing but specific intention to send said round exactly where it went, even several times. This negates trick number one, concerning hardware. I also like the Sig because it is exactly like a revolver in that it has no external safety to wipe off like the 1911's and other pistols so this saves a bit of time under extreme stress. It might even save your hide if for some reason you go into brain lock and totally forget your external safety and can't get your piece to fire. It does happen, even to pros. The only firearm that has an equal in this area is the Glock, with the safe action trigger.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

You do NOT have to shine/point a weapon mounted light at what you want to illuminate...bouncing the light off of the floor or the walls will light up an entire room. I have a wepon mounted light for the house at night.and a handheld Streamlight Scorpion for out and about. I carry IWB.and theres no way to carry with the light attatched. Not that I would in a CCW situation...too bulky. I just wanted to comment about the "you dont wanna point your gun at everything you wanna light up" type of comments that come up in these threads...

My choice is the Glock 23 with 15 round mag, with a Streamlight M3X weaponlight....thats the bedgun to get me to the 12 gauge.
    Brad B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links