Suggestions for my new carry gun with light??

This is a discussion on Suggestions for my new carry gun with light?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you guys could help. Here is what I am thinking: .45 (would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for my new carry gun with light??

I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you guys could help. Here is what I am thinking:

.45 (would consider other calibers)
    MUST have Picatinny/Weaver light rail
    Must be DA/SA
    Must be able to find holster for it and light
    Thinner is better
    Longer barrel is good (around 4in maybe)
    Short grip is OK.
    Lightweight is good...

Any suggestions??? Holsters seem to be hard to find for any gun with a light attached.

Not sure what gun to suggest but Blade-Tech makes Kydex holsters for about every gun with a rail and light mounted on the market. They make holsters for railed lights both IWB and OWB.

As far as a gun goes, Para makes a few Commander length 45\'s that they call LDA (light double action) but these are double action only and you mentioned DA/SA. Still they are worth looking at as they are the smoothest double action 1911\'s I have ever seen.

Just my .02
    MadDog :rock:

MadDog beat me to the punch. The ParaOrd LDA is getting rave reviews. I do not have one and have oly gotten to cress one but if it fires nearly as well as the Para\'s I own, you will be pleased with the purchase.

PARA-ORDINANCE, PXT Semi-Automatic Pistol

The 14.45 LDA model has the same features as the standard 1911 with the
    exception of the tac rail mount that has been added as well as the
    Power
    Extractor Technology.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Type: Semi-Automatic Pistol
    Caliber: 45ACP
    Action: Double Action Only
    Safety: Thumb Safety, Grip Safety & Internal Firing Pin Safety
    Mag Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel Length: 5\"
    Sights: Novak Three-Dot Sights
    Overall Length: 8.05\"
    Height: 5.75\"
    Weight: 40oz
    Grips: Black Plastic Grips
    Finish: Black Stealth, Stainless
    Receiver: Steel, Stainless

CQC (blackHawk Indust.) is making a holster for the 1911 Govt, and Commander with lightrail.

I have been in talks with one of the VP\'s of marketing and we exchange e-mails pretty regularly.

Logistar if you are interested I can find out a time frame.

~A

Logistar, Kimber is coming out with a TLEII/RL concoction coined the Warrior for the MEUSOC/MARSOC community as per GSA Contract. I tried to find a pic of it and came up short. I know I saw it in a mag but can\'t recall the mag right now.

It should hit the civie market sometime early next year. I think that might also be a good place to look. I do not nor have I ever owned a Kimber, but I am sure Bumper can give you any and all insights into Kimber as I am sure he has a few.

~A

pics of the Kimber

The current holster for MEU/MAR, there are concealed versions in the works.

~A

MadDogDan and APachon....

EXCELLENT RESPONSES GUYS!

I\'ll check out Blade Tech!

I didn\'t think about a Para-Ordinace for some reason.

APachon, the Kimbers and I guess most all of the 1911s are SA. Call me a sissy but I still prefer DA/SA. When I did speed drills with \"replica\" guns I found that a DA pull does not affect my accuracy that much but once in a while I failed to disengage the safety under stress. :O

I\'ve got some thinkin'to do!

Thanks again!

Given your criteria of a DA/SA .45 w/ rail and 4 inch barrel, I think either a SIG P220ST w/ rail or an HK USP .45 w/ rail adapter would fit the bill.

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=83&cat=29&page=1

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=84&cat=29&page=1

Both are hard to beat. The SIG P220 is a durable, supremely accurate jewel of a gun. The HK takes 12 .45 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe for 13 total, has VERY light recoil and like the 1911s, can be carried cocked and locked with the right variant. The USP also has ambi mag releases and the safety/decocker can be ambi or reversed.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    Logistar, Kimber is coming out with a TLEII/RL concoction coined the Warrior for the MEUSOC/MARSOC community as per GSA Contract. I tried to find a pic of it and came up short. I know I saw it in a mag but can\'t recall the mag right now.

It should hit the civie market sometime early next year. I think that might also be a good place to look. I do not nor have I ever owned a Kimber, but I am sure Bumper can give you any and all insights into Kimber as I am sure he has a few.

~A
    I have two Kimbers right now but I think I need at least one more. :P I love mine and have only had one minor extraction problem on my Eclipse which I caused myself. They are awesome handguns but since he is wanting DA/SA, they don\'t meet the criteria.

Bumper I do not know much about the Kimber line and I figured you would know more than I. Thanks for chiming in.

~A

Originally posted by Bumper

~A
    I have two Kimbers right now but I think I need at least one more. :P I love mine and have only had one minor extraction problem on my Eclipse which I caused myself. They are awesome handguns but since he is wanting DA/SA, they don\'t meet the criteria.

MadDog beat me to the punch. The ParaOrd LDA is getting rave reviews. I do not have one and have oly gotten to cress one but if it fires nearly as well as the Para\'s I own, you will be pleased with the purchase.

PARA-ORDINANCE, PXT Semi-Automatic Pistol

The 14.45 LDA model has the same features as the standard 1911 with the exception of the tac rail mount that has been added as well as the Power Extractor Technology.
    I had a airsoft like that about 2 years ago, the only reason I never bought a para was because I couldnt find a model with the integral light rail like that. Glad to see theyre finally coming around, its ptobably worth buying one now.

Carry gun

XD 40 with light. Comes in 3\", 4\", and 5\" I have the 3\" sub works great. Great gun

nf9648, I just got the 2005 Catalog of Para offerings. The LDA will also be availabel with a rail. If you do go the Para route, you will be very pleased with the purchase. The PXT extractor is completely reliable, and rips brass out with authority...

~A

I can see this is going to take me a while! I have a lot to check out but then that\'s why I asked!

Many Thanks!!!!!!!

You said \"Picatinny/Weaver light rail\". If any rail style will do, look at the H&K UPS .45 full size or compact. Also look at the S&W SW99 .45. You just but a light to fit the rail.

If you need the standard rail, consider the new Ruger P345 .45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links