Nite Hawg/Ultra Carry II feedback

This is a discussion on Nite Hawg/Ultra Carry II feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying either a ParaOrdnance NiteHawg or a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I currently own a P14/45 and am very pleased with it, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nite Hawg/Ultra Carry II feedback

Nite Hawg/Ultra Carry II feedback

I am considering buying either a ParaOrdnance NiteHawg or a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I currently own a P14/45 and am very pleased with it, but don't feel it is something I can carry well. Any experience with or comparison between these two would be appreciated. Mostly as regards the functionality/reliability/accuracy. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome...

from Central Florida!
    Let me also add...my Kimber CDP II in .45 is the 'best' of ALL my weapons for CCW. It is light and easy to conceal...night sights...and 'dead on accurate' right out of the box. I've put about 500 rounds through it in the last month or two with NO problems...nice weapon...getting to be my favorite!
    OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the Ultra Carry's as being the best all around sub between the two. I roll with an UCDP also and it's a really great little gun, very accurate at 15 yards and less. I did have a reliability tune done cause of some minor feeding problems, but that and Wilson or Tripp Cobra mag's fixed the problem. 1000 rounds and zero problems.

The Night Hawg is a bit different in that it's a double stack so 10+1, but I think the fat grip is a deal breaker and defeates the purpose of having a small gun to CC. I even went with slim grip's on my Ultra just to cut the grip width down and it made a hugh difference on mine. I am not sure I'd carry a double stack in a 3" bbl gun.

If you do go Kimber there is no need in paying extra for the CDP IMO. The Stainless Ultra Carry with night sites if you want is the way to go. I got mine used so I spent about the same and at the time all that was available was the external extractor models and I wanted the internal extractor, the CDP had it so that is what I bought.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    FEATURES !! With 1911's there are many. Take a look at different weapons and see what you want/need in a CCW.

I have found that what I needed/wanted in a CCW came in the form of a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II.

Do yourself a favor. Handle one before you buy. You just might stop right there.(and don't let that 3" thang worry ya) --------

JD
    Administrator
    If you have a p14 you can use that mag in a NiteHawg

I liked having a 10rd mag in the gun and a 14rd reload, alas the grip was a little to fat for my liking, I have had 4 Para's and loved them all, but I like my Kimbers better, then again, I've had to replace parts and /or mags in both Kimber CDPs that I have, I can't say the same about my Para's, I've found many horror stories over what we pay for a Kimber and right out of the box it has to go back to the factory,
    None of my Para's ever had so much as a failure to feed, no matter what I put throught it.

Also Para offers lifetime warranty....not bad.

I have, carry and love a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I handled a Para Hawg and found the grip to be too fat and too short. (Kinda like me.)
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Another happy Kimber Ultra CDP owner here. Great carry gun. Very accurate, reliable and easy to conceal and carry. What more could you ask for. Here is my Ultra CDP with VZ grips and an Ed Brown MSH. The holster is a Brommeland Max Con V.

i have an ultra carry II and it shoots great. Not a bad gun.

Wow, lots of support for the Kimbers. I may have missed something in their brochures however. I didn't see a difference in extractors by model. Is that an earlier feature change. What do the Ultra Carry vs CDP use now. Don't know enough about 1911s to know the difference between internal vs external extractors. What are the tradeoffs.

I have held both the Nite Hawg and the Ultra. I couldn't effectively tell the difference between the 2 as far as grip. The Para I held had the mag extension on it. Seem to remember that the actual width measurement difference wasn't that much.

Kind of wondered if the P14 mags would fit the Hawg series. That's awfully attractive. I really like the P14 I have, and shoot it very accurately. Grip has never been a problem, but of course I haven't shot the Hawg.

So basically I want both of them.

JD
    Administrator
    next time your at the guns shop look at the Smith and Wesson 1911s, those have external extractors, your newer Para's(like the Hawg) have internal, actually they have a modified internal dubbed the "Power Extractor"which is twice the size of a normal extractor that gives more surface area of the extractor on the spent casing.

Kimber never got the external working right and customer demand forced them back to going internal, S&W apparently got it right as I have not heard any complaints.

Also, I forget the manufacturer but they make a sleeve to cover the excess mag when using the P14 mags and prevents you from pushing the mag in to far.

Bought the Kimber

Bought the Kimber Ultra Carry II. What a great little gun. Shot very well for right out of the box. Good accuracy, easily controlled. 2 feed problems in the first 25 rounds. Will need to put a bunch more through it to see what happens.

Pretty amazing difference in size and weight between it and the P14.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Congratulations on the new Kimber! Hopefully the two problem rounds are just break-in problems and won't repeat themselves. All you need now is a Max-Con V and you're ready to go.
    Jack

Toss the Kimber mag or replace the gut's with Wilson or Tripp Cobra component's along with picking up some Wilson or Cobra mag's for it. Feeding problem's in the Kimbers are usually attributed to the mag's.

Nice choice, I am guess you got the blued/black version? I second the Max-Con V also.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

My Ultra CDP needed a good 500 or so breakin rounds to be fully reliable. It has now ran it's last 600 or so rds without a hiccup. Some of the Kimbers really do need to be broke in like Kimber says.

I did get a Wilson mag when I bought this. Now that you mention it, the problems I had were with the Kimber mag, and none with the Wilson. Had considered ordering more Kimber mags, but looks like Wilsons are the way to go.

I did get the black version. Just really liked that from a looks and concealment perspective.

I checked out the Max Con V. Looks nice. Any thoughts on comparing that with a Galco SOB?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links