New Snubbie S&W 642 or Ruger LCR what I decided.

This is a discussion on New Snubbie S&W 642 or Ruger LCR what I decided. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Ruger LCR in 357 magnum, I used to have a S&W 642 and was wanting a snubbie back, I found that ...

Thread: New Snubbie S&W 642 or Ruger LCR what I decided.

I just purchased a Ruger LCR in 357 magnum, I used to have a S&W 642 and was wanting a snubbie back, I found that the difference in weight between the LCR 357 and the 642 is 2 oz.

I have fired 160 rounds 10 or so 357 magnum and the rest some target loads, I must say the LCR is not bad at all even with the 357 loads. The grip on the LCR makes it a little bigger than the 642, but the grip makes the LCR easier to shoot due to recoil.

I went with the LCR in 357 and I know it is 4oz heavier than the 38sp LCR, I wanted to share loads with my GP-100 and did not want to be caught with only 357 load and a snubbie that could only shoot 38sp.

The trigger on the LCR takes some getting used to, at 7 yards if I do my part it shoots to the point of aim and a very good group, I did some multiple target shooting and was able to hit a paper plate every time with a 4-5" group at 5-7 yard.

I purchased some Critical Defense Hornady 125 grain for carry, I wanted to try the Critical Duty but the LGS did not have any.
    I was wondering what others carry in 357mag for the short snubbies?

So far very satisfied with the purchase of the Ruger LCR 357.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    MichSteve, I have heard a lot of positive comments on the LCR. Although I don't own one, it is on my short list. I hope you enjoy it. Recoil on regular .38 is mostly like the S&W 642, 637, 442 etc. .357 I suspect to be a hand full. If you are going to carry .357, shoot some for practice so as to know what to expect before the SHTF. .357 in these small frame revolvers can be tough on the hands and arms.

Best of luck with your new firearm!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have had my LCR 357 for about 2 years. 3000 rounds later (2500 357JHP 125G.) I have NO complaints. This gun is fun. Everyone who wines about shooting 357 out of a small gun, never shot this one. I shoot the LCR more than my Four inch guns. It is not for everyone I guess but, it is painless. You just have to strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

I have 357 KLCR also. I got about 1500 rounds through it. It got scratched a bit from wear out.... than I have refinished it in duracoat.
    Also I have added a front night sight. It is fun to shoot it, even my teenage son likes it?????
    But.... I still would like to have Smith 642. I own Smith 640 Pro all steel, LCR, 357 KLCR. Love snub nose wheel guns.
    Vodek

Sponsored Links