S&W J-frame range report

S&W J-frame range report

This is a discussion on S&W J-frame range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took it out today on my lunch break. Met my dad at the indoor range and ran 135 rounds through it. 50 125g Blazer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: S&W J-frame range report

S&W J-frame range report

I took it out today on my lunch break. Met my dad at the indoor range and ran 135 rounds through it. 50 125g Blazer brass, 75 125g Dads reloads and 10 158g Winchester +p. My thoughts are as follow (in no particular order)

- I forgot how much of a pain in the arse cleaning a revolver is

- It shot / I shot it a LOT better than I thought I was going to. At 10 Yards I was able to group all rounds inside of the 9 ring. It spread out a bit at 15 yards. At 25 yards I was able to consistently connect with with a large steel silhouette. I don't know what size it was.

- I think I am going to go for a standard pressure carry load. My second round accuracy with the +p 158's was pretty bad. Hard to control. On the upside, the rounds produced a good deal of smoke and massive flash which was was kinda like having a backup team with me that was throwing smoke grenades and flash bangs at my target every time I fired. They should market that as a feature.

-I already knew this but it's not a range gun. The first 50 rounds were great and I was on target. From 50 on though my accuracy got worse and worse and I started hitting more and more low left. The last 25 would have probably been more accurate if I had thrown them at the target. This is the type of gun I could see myself running 5 cylinders through every time I go to the range to stay proficient with it and then putting it away although those first 50 rounds were fun.

- The trigger is not as bad as I thought but not as good as it could be. It's loosened up a bit since I have been dry firing the snot out of it. Still haven't made my mind up as to whether there is a trigger job in it's future.

- Would it be that hard for Smith to re-design the cylinder latch to a lower profile so that my thumb knuckle isn't bleeding
    from three spots when I am done shooting it?

The verdict? One hell of a carry gun for 350.00 bucks. Not high capacity but light, amazingly concealable and more shootable then I would have gave it credit for. No buyers remorse here.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Glad you're enjoying the gun. Pretty much the experience I had with mine, except I quit shooting long before you did. About thirty rounds at a time will be enough for me.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I came away with similar conclusions after my first j-frame encounter.

I keep mine stoked with standard pressure 158 grain variety from Buffalo Bore.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good report. Nice job. By the time I get through one box of ammo, my hand hurts.

Go Hoosiers! Bloomington born and bred....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I took it out today on my lunch break. Met my dad at the indoor range and ran 135 rounds through it. 50 125g Blazer brass, 75 125g Dads reloads and 10 158g Winchester +p. My thoughts are as follow (in no particular order)

- I forgot how much of a pain in the arse cleaning a revolver is

- It shot / I shot it a LOT better than I thought I was going to. At 10 Yards I was able to group all rounds inside of the 9 ring. It spread out a bit at 15 yards. At 25 yards I was able to consistently connect with with a large steel silhouette. I don't know what size it was.

- I think I am going to go for a standard pressure carry load. My second round accuracy with the +p 158's was pretty bad. Hard to control. On the upside, the rounds produced a good deal of smoke and massive flash which was was kinda like having a backup team with me that was throwing smoke grenades and flash bangs at my target every time I fired. They should market that as a feature.

-I already knew this but it's not a range gun. The first 50 rounds were great and I was on target. From 50 on though my accuracy got worse and worse and I started hitting more and more low left. The last 25 would have probably been more accurate if I had thrown them at the target. This is the type of gun I could see myself running 5 cylinders through every time I go to the range to stay proficient with it and then putting it away although those first 50 rounds were fun.

- The trigger is not as bad as I thought but not as good as it could be. It's loosened up a bit since I have been dry firing the snot out of it. Still haven't made my mind up as to whether there is a trigger job in it's future.

- Would it be that hard for Smith to re-design the cylinder latch to a lower profile so that my thumb knuckle isn't bleeding
    from three spots when I am done shooting it?

The verdict? One hell of a carry gun for 350.00 bucks. Not high capacity but light, amazingly concealable and more shootable then I would have gave it credit for. No buyers remorse here.
    I shot one of my buddies snubbies the other day, and it all came rushing back to me why I carry a semi-auto. Snubbies suck to shoot! ......... I know the big trend on DC these days are lovey dovey snubbies, but I will keep what I got. I love the simplicity and reliability, but that is where it ends. Enjoy, it's a great choice for many, but not me. I like my wheel guns big!
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

hard to beat a j-frame. i shoot my m60 at lease once a month.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Did you try any speed loads or were you just out to get use to shooting it?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I grew up shooting revolvers, so I love shooting wheel guns...especially snubbies. I have very thick hands and wrists, so recoil isn't an issue. I've swapped out my boot grips for old school S&W wood grips and I shoot it all day with +P rounds. I've put as many as 250 rounds through it in range session and just love it. It's somewhat of an acquired taste...I acquired my taste for them over a period of about 30 years. To me, revolvers are fun, have style, class, and character. Semi-autos are kind of boring to me. Keep practicing with it and ease into it and you'll acquire the taste for them also. They are so easy and versatile to carry you'll love it. Practice reloads with a speed loader too and you'll find after a little while that you can reload as fast as you can with a semi from last shot fired to next shot fired.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My favorite defensive ammo for my J frame (S & W 642) is Speer Gold Dot .38 special Short Barrel 135 gr +P JHP. It is by far the most accurate for me at the range compared to all other types I have tried.

You've just about convinced me to pull the proverbial trigger on a snubbie myself.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You've just about convinced me to pull the proverbial trigger on a snubbie myself.
    Dude, you've gotta do it. Everyone needs a snubbie. The steel ones have a little better shootability because ofthe extra weight, but the airweights are so easy to carry you almost forget you have it. Solution...get at least one of each.
    Attached Images
    stancehold and Secret Spuk like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You will get used to it, and when you do, you may find it the one gun in your battery that you can't live without.

Bugdude, I do agree on the point that semi autos are boring, unless we are talking the classics like the 1911, BHP, or PPK. But the plastic stuff is pretty much ho hum to me these days.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member

Cool!

Glad you had a fun time

How did dad shoot?

I miss shooting with my dad.

We have two snubs in the household.
    442 & Taurus 85.
    Both are stoked with GD Short Barrel 135 +p for SD.

You shoot the dang thing better than I shoot one.
    Heck, my 16 y/o shoots it as well as I do.
    Kinda scary
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    I'm looking for an air weight or a J-frame. You all have made them sound great. I want one to pocket carry in a holster I can just grab and go. Thanks all for the good feedback on these fine guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links