Ever Leave Your BEST Handgun...at home?

This is a discussion on Ever Leave Your BEST Handgun...at home? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a nice, professionally built custom handgun that's my idea of the "perfect" fighting pistol. I'll spare y'all the details because I don't want ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Ever Leave Your BEST Handgun...at home?

I have a nice, professionally built custom handgun that's my idea of the "perfect" fighting pistol. I'll spare y'all the details because I don't want this to be about my choice. It was relatively expensive (~$2300) and build completely to my specifications. The only remaining "factory" parts are the slide & the frame, all the other components were picked, bought & fitted especially for this single pistol. As you can guess, it's a peach as far as I'm concerned.

My question is, do any of y'all ever carry a less-capable EDC instead of your "best" fightgun over the concern of losing a costly, favorite handgun for weeks/months to an evidence locker should you ever have to use it in a defensive shooting? I've never been fond of the idea of owning a "gun safe queen" but the thought of a case number being vibra-engraved across that slide makes me cringe. It's not a collector's item. It's never going to be worth more than it cost me.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

IMO its a tool. I use it as such. So my EDC is viewed in that manor....So to answer your question, No
    Brad426 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    If my gun is in an evidence locker for months, getting it back will be the least of my worries.

Seriously, my carry guns are stock. If they are ever siezed and not returned, but I remain a free man, I would get a new one. I would hope that I would never find myself charged with a crime for a self defense shooting...I have not given the loss of a gun much thought, just survival and freedom....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    IMO its a tool. I use it as such. So my EDC is viewed in that manor....So to answer your question, No
    +1 on that... every gun I have is a tool, not a collector's item.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    your term--less capable has me to wonder

train and a gun will do its job. hardly in life is anything perfect. i carry many different guns. each is better for my needs at the moment--not the best but on balance--fits my current needs.

besides, cost of the courts if it came to that will put the cost of the gun in perspective
    that being, except for the bullet-- its the least costly expense for the event.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

It might be a question of perspective. To me, the best fighting handgun says "Glock" on the slide. No amount of money spent on custom parts for another platform can make it a more effective fighting handgun than my stock Glock 21 Gen 4 with tactical light and night sights. Accurate, powerful, 14 rounds on tap, proven reliability. More capable than any custom $2300 pistol that I can think of, unless "capable" means an ability to empty your wallet on a fighting pistol that will never fight. Essentially, an expensive paperweight.

Funny how the professionals that DO fight with their handguns never need a custom shop pistol.

I don't worry about such nonsense. If my Glock ends up in the local PD property room, I'll carry my other Glock. I have no use for safe queens.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I guess I've never really considered it, maybe If I had a gun like you have I would, but my "best" gun is either my G19 or G26, which are both carried regularly.
    Fitch likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

no.i take my gun with me everywhere everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I have a nice, professionally built custom handgun that's my idea of the "perfect" fighting pistol. I'll spare y'all the details because I don't want this to be about my choice. It was relatively expensive (~$2300) and build completely to my specifications. The only remaining "factory" parts are the slide & the frame, all the other components were picked, bought & fitted especially for this single pistol. As you can guess, it's a peach as far as I'm concerned.

My question is, do any of y'all ever carry a less-capable EDC instead of your "best" fightgun over the concern of losing a costly, favorite handgun for weeks/months to an evidence locker should you ever have to use it in a defensive shooting? I've never been fond of the idea of owning a "gun safe queen" but the thought of a case number being vibra-engraved across that slide makes me cringe. It's not a collector's item. It's never going to be worth more than it cost me.

My "best" handgun is whichever one I'm carrying.
    jbum likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Yes. My Colt 1911 is my best and favorite semi auto handgun. My other best handgun is any one of my Smith&Wesson revolvers not on me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My EDC is a glock 19 a very worthy fighting pistol and can be bought for around $500
    Fitch likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    It might be a question of perspective. To me, the best fighting handgun says "Glock" on the slide. No amount of money spent on custom parts for another platform can make it a more effective fighting handgun than my stock Glock 21 Gen 4 with tactical light and night sights. Accurate, powerful, 14 rounds on tap, proven reliability. More capable than any custom $2300 pistol that I can think of, unless "capable" means an ability to empty your wallet on a fighting pistol that will never fight. Essentially, an expensive paperweight.

Funny how the professionals that DO fight with their handguns never need a custom shop pistol.

I don't worry about such nonsense. If my Glock ends up in the local PD property room, I'll carry my other Glock. I have no use for safe queens.
    I have others that are nice and special, but when the rubber meets the road it's a Glock or M&P..........
    bigdogtx likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I always figure if my pistol gets deposed, it will take me about 30 minutes to go buy another Glock just like it, and I'll never even know the difference.
    zonker1986 likes this.

What makes you think your $2300 uber-wunder pistol is "more capable" than a stock Glock, M&P, etc? Does it fire laser-guided heat seeking armor piercing explosive bullets?

I'm just funnin' you a bit. I find the idea of a "more capable" pistol a bit funny - since all handguns suck, compared to the long gun that any sensible person would wish they could have in the event of a defensive situation.

I understand not wanting a beautiful or heirloom gun ending up in an evidence locker. But you state yours is neither. Seems for the money you could outfit your whole family with capable guns, and have money left over for training.

Of course, folks can spend their money as they wish. With the exception of night sights and lasers, all my sidearms are stock and in the $300-600 range. They are tools, and if needs be, can be replaced.

I guess if you built this uber pistol to be a carried sidearm - then you should carry it.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The more expensive gun may be a better fighting pistol for you than a run of the mill item because, and probably only because, you will shoot it more, and handle it more because you like it so much. I have found from my own experience, that I have a tendancy to shoot guns better that I take pride in over generic items.

Now, that's not to say a Glock or one of it's many copy's would not serve you wonderfully. There is just really nothing about them that gives one the pride of ownership that a nice revolver or 1911/BHP gives you. And with these I'm talking Colt, Browning, or S&W, or a custom job.

A utilitarian gun is nice for it's purpose. But there is something special about classic looks and decorative personalization that is also functional. Few people may be able to appreciate that. And some never will.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links