EMP light strikes & p238 falls apart

EMP light strikes & p238 falls apart

This is a discussion on EMP light strikes & p238 falls apart within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background first: I carry a ppq 9mm. Love shooting it, but it is a bit on the big side for concealed carry. Even with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: EMP light strikes & p238 falls apart

Question EMP light strikes & p238 falls apart

Background first: I carry a ppq 9mm. Love shooting it, but it is a bit on the big side for concealed carry. Even with the best posture, it doesn't quite disappear. Bend over or sit down, and forget about it!

So, I've been in the market for something that would pass for deep concealment. So, I picked up a rental p238 at the range. I really like the feel of this little shooter, and with the great strikes and good trigger I am able to to throw lead through a doorknob at 7 -10 yards. I can do the same with a 642 wheel gun, and frankly I *really* like shooting the 642.

So, I had the wonderful opportunity to take the entire family (me + wife + 5.5 y.o. daughter) to the range today. It was my daughter's first time shooting, and she had a blast shooting the Chipmunk (which is a tiny .22lr rifle). She was super-safe, too.

Then it was my wife's turn with the p238. I suggested that she get a feel for the trigger by dry firing it a couple of times. I go back to my daughter, and shortly thereafter hear my wife call for me. I came over and she's saying that something just hit her in the face! No blood, no holes... but no explanation either! We were trying to figure out how a shell from another booth could have bounced over, when I took a look at the gun and noticed that both the firing pin and the piece that the hammer drops on were no longer in the pistol! I found both pieces, and returned the gun.

My question is what on earth could have caused such a failure?

(As for the EMP, which is also a 1911 style gun, I took that out the other day and had three light strikes failure to fire problems in the first mag...)

Me thinks that the stars are lining up in favor of a 642.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    You didn't say if the EMP was a rental gun. In either case, range rentals are for the most part overly abused and under maintained. Just the nature of the beast.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

emp = rental
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

If you are happy and familiar with the PPQ, and are looking for a smaller but utterly reliable EDC, check out the Walther PPS. I have over 4,000 rounds through mine without even a hiccup.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If you are happy and familiar with the PPQ, and are looking for a smaller but utterly reliable EDC, check out the Walther PPS. I have over 4,000 rounds through mine without even a hiccup.
    I'm feeling rather inclined to follow you're suggestion.

4,000 rnds... It comes with 2 mags, right? One flush and one ???
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    I'm feeling rather inclined to follow you're suggestion.

4,000 rnds... It comes with 2 mags, right? One flush and one ???
    Mine came with two mags, a 7 and 8 rounder. I bought a six rounder for CC purposes. FWIT, at 21 feet slow fire, it shoots almost as well as my competition S&W M&P 9.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

I'd have to say the P238 rental was seriously abused. I've put a couple thousand through mine without a problem and it's one of the originals.
    Based on how well it preformed I bought a p938 without hesitation and it shoots and works just as well and makes a great 9mm CC BUG.
    But that's just my opinion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a .45 because having to shoot twice is just silly!
    Warning Shots Will Be Center Mass!

ARMY '56 to '65 SFC
    Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!

The sad truth is anything can go wrong with any mechanical device. What you have to do is choose based on the strengths and weakness of each one, and hope you have the good one of it's type.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

What Glockman said is right (he usually is...). In truth most high quality firearms will perform very well. With semis, the vast majority of failures are caused by a mag problem. Second, probably poor ammo. Fire enough rounds out of a mag and sooner or later it going to show some wear. As to ammo, well if you cannot read the language that the ammo is boxed in, in my experience, you probably want to avoid it. (Ask me how I know...)
    aznav and gatorbait51 like this.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member
    Agreed that the range guns were obviously ridden hard and put away wet. I'd be wary of using guns owned by that range... they apparently don't G.a.S.

Also... what kind of ammo were you using? Was it "range" ammo purchased from the range? reloads?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Whoppo, I was using range ammo - their rules. (and great signature line, btw)

I've had a number of conversations with the gun smith operating out of the same establishment. We talked about the PPS, and he explained how the rental pps had ceased functioning because it became so filled with crud, that the striking pin could was compromised from operating in the full range of motion.

The P238 firing pin was so filthy I could carry it with one finger - literally... the thing was sticky with old decomposed grease.

I could see poor cleaning/maintenance being at the root of the EMP problems as well.

I guess I shouldn't take these failures very seriously since I give my pistols a good bath and lube after every use.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

Distinguished Member
    Several years ago I was enthralled with the P238 and thinking of trading of P232. I was on a Sig forum. Yumpin' Yimminy but I got an earful from members on the P238. I have also heard that Sig has fixed some of the earlier issues. In an earlier thread I was again going to sell my 232 and have a "full 9mm lineup". Went to the range to unload a bunch of .380 ammo and, surprise, the 232 outshot my two other favorite handguns. Guess he heard I was going to sell him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I'd much rather try out a abused gun knowing it goes bang then find out its high maintenance.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    When I first read the title, I thought an electro-magnetic pulse light strike had destroyed your gun!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So are you saying that while dry firing the firing pin came out and hit your wife in the face with enough force to draw blood?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links