I think I broke my J frame :(

This is a discussion on I think I broke my J frame :( within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... I've got my snap caps in and I am doing some dry firing trying to smooth out the trigger a bit. All is well ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I think I broke my J frame :(

So... I've got my snap caps in and I am doing some dry firing trying to smooth out the trigger a bit. All is well and then I randomly try to pull the hammer back and it wont pull back. Strange. I then try to pull the trigger and the trigger is bound. Also, the the cylinder isn't locking up. I can just spin it. I find a you tube video that shows how to detail strip it and figure I'll take it apart and see if I can see anything. During the course of the detail strip I end up with a loose part that doesn't seemed to be talked about in either of the detail strip vids I watched. A picture is attached. What is this thing? And how screwed am I?
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Got Glock?

All kidding aside, sorry for the issue. Dude you have bad luck with firearms.......... You may be the only person to break an M&P and a Revolver in the same year....
    Rollo and oneshot like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Got Glock?

All kidding aside, sorry for the issue. Dude you have bad luck with firearms.......... You may be the only person to break an M&P and a Revolver in the same year....
    You crack me up Hawk! Last year you would have said," got M&P?", lol. I love it. You are as bad as I am!
    NY27 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You crack me up Hawk! Last year you would have said," got M&P?", lol. I love it. You are as bad as I am!
    It's called evolution...... We never quit growing and changing. I still love M&P, Colt, Sig, S&W, I guess I have too many guns? LOL!!! I think Tangle is in our little group too!
    glockman10mm and NY27 like this.

VIP Member
    Turn your gun upside down and look at the hollow in the back of the trigger. There should be a tiny rod there. It appears that the tiny rod may have fallen out. The tiny pawl that comes up and catches the cylinder may not be able to come up as a result.

It should not fall out. Unfortunately you will need to send it to Smith. They will send you a mailing label and fed ex will pick it up.

Sorry man, that sucks. Don't let it ruin your impression of j-frames and airweights...

At the end of the day, you're not screwed at all... at the worst, your new piece gets an expense-paid trip back to the factory, and they will make it right.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I feel for you man.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Turn your gun upside down and look at the hollow in the back of the trigger. There should be a tiny rod there. It appears that the tiny rod may have fallen out. The tiny pawl that comes up and catches the cylinder may not be able to come up as a result.

It should not fall out. Unfortunately you will need to send it to Smith. They will send you a mailing label and fed ex will pick it up.

Sorry man, that sucks. Don't let it ruin your impression of j-frames and airweights...
    Yep. Thats it... :( Ive almost got it reassembled now but cant get the side plate on. The pin on the trigger asembly doesnt appear to be lining up with the whole on the side plate.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Agreed. Looks like part #49.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Got Glock?

Right!!?? What the heck. But I guess I shall learn from this. The only 3 fire arms I have ever owned that have NEVER failed are my Ruger SP101, and My Glock 26 and 19... I'll give you one guess as to which I'll continue carrying...

The side plate can be tricky to put back on. I remember a video on you tube showing the easiest way to get it back on with out breaking any thing.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    The side plate can be tricky to put back on. I remember a video on you tube showing the easiest way to get it back on with out breaking any thing.
    I can actually see that it's not lining up with the pin on the trigger. I think it may be because the trigger is jacked because of the broken. Or, who knows...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Right!!?? What the heck. But I guess I shall learn from this. The only 3 fire arms I have ever owned that have NEVER failed are my Ruger SP101, and My Glock 26 and 19... I'll give you one guess as to which I'll continue carrying...
    Honestly it's just a 1 in a million random occurrence with the S&W snubbie. They are very very very reliable, don't let that throw you off. S&W will take care of it asap.

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. It's almost like someone died. You broke a Smith, and now you broke a Wesson. They'll fix it. Cheer up, I'm working on an intermittent failure to reset problem right now. Maybe I ought to send it to you for some dry fire work. Those extra loose parts sure make troubleshooting a breeze.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links