How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I can see the reasoning here, and I agree. It just seems counterproductive to the NRA's mission to only tell of ...

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can see the reasoning here, and I agree. It just seems counterproductive to the NRA's mission to only tell of incidents that happen with less than 5 shots only. I have been looking over some old crime folders involving all different types of shooting in this area, and so far have not turned up anything over 5 shots, and this includes police involved. There was one drive by where a murder took place at a red light, but that was with a rifle and point blank style shoot consisting of at least 10 or more shots fired.

^^^^I wonder^^^^^^^^

About that as well, and could it be that a thug, when confronted by the police, could subconciously think after being shot, that they are basically busted, whereas when in a confrontation with an average Joe, they may feel emboldened to keep fighting.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

I wonder what an overzealous DA (not to mention the media) would make out of a person involved in a SD shooting that was carrying a 15+1 and 2 extra mags for 46 total rounds? Throw a BUG in there with a reloads for it. Now we're in the 55-60 round range. I don't know, I'm just wondering. I'm sure if that were the case in the current high profile SD case the media would be tossing that information around trying to make something out of it...regardless of how irrelevent it actually was to the situation. Just one more possibility to ponder while we are talking about what ifs.
    Hopyard and wmhawth like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I wonder what an overzealous DA (not to mention the media) would make out of a person involved in a SD shooting that was carrying a 15+1 and 2 extra mags for 46 total rounds? Throw a BUG in there with a reloads for it. Now we're in the 55-60 round range. I don't know, I'm just wondering. I'm sure if that were the case in the current high profile SD case the media would be tossing that information around trying to make something out of it...regardless of how irrelevent it actually was to the situation. Just one more possibility to ponder while we are talking about what ifs.
    I am sure that there are some out there who would say that it was proof that you were looking for trouble.

Michael

my thoughts on five shots, if four center mass doesn't stop the threat you put the fifth right in the guys face. that being said i carry 13+1, want to order the +1 floorplate, and i have considered carrying a spare mag.

fortunately i do not have any real world data to contribute here.
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 16th, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: unacceptable language
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

this subject has been brought up many times, and I've seen this topic covered by Massad Ayoob.

Response: "I carry the same amount of ammo as my local police department. One mag in the gun, and two spares."

Being prepared does not show intent that you are looking for trouble any more than our local LEO goes looking to shoot someone because he carries 60 rounds of ammo.
    BugDude and 40Bob like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    this subject has been brought up many times, and I've seen this topic covered by Massad Ayoob.

Response: "I carry the same amount of ammo as my local police department. One mag in the gun, and two spares."

Being prepared does not show intent that you are looking for trouble any more than our local LEO goes looking to shoot someone because he carries 60 rounds of ammo.
    I agree with you 100%. I'm just pointing out that the potential is there for a DA or the media to twist it and hype it up. They are typically far less interested in truth and facts as they are ratings and exploiting a situation to further a career or reputation. It's all about sensationalism it seems. And someone with 53 rounds of ammo involved in a SD jury trial is certainly fodder for sensationalism by types so inclined to further their own agenda. I don't agree with it at all, I'm just saying it's there.

If nothing else this thread has made me feel better about not always carrying a spare mag.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Given your luck Rollo, you should carry a spare gun...maybe several spare guns.
    oneshot likes this.

Given your luck Rollo, you should carry a spare gun...maybe several spare guns.
    Valid point
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Apparently, 8 shots were not enough...

Bear Attacks Dog In West Hartford, Gets Shot At - Courant.com
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Not enough for what? To kill the bear? It seems he was successful in saving his dog's life and running the bear off. He was also successful in getting himself a charge for carrying where it was not legal to do so, another charge(s) for discharging the weapon, and perhaps another one for not having the dog on a leash. Looks like 8 shots were plenty.

Not enough for what? To kill the bear? It seems he was successful in saving his dog's life and running the bear off. He was also successful in getting himself a charge for carrying where it was not legal to do so, another charge(s) for discharging the weapon, and perhaps another one for not having the dog on a leash. Looks like 8 shots were plenty.
    Here in MI, you would get charged even if you were carrying legally. You have no right here to use deadly force to protect property.

Scott, only the hits actually count. I have yet to be in a gunfight that was terminated by noise olone.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    Scott, only the hits actually count. I have yet to be in a gunfight that was terminated by noise olone.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"
    You mean all those time playing cops and robbers and going "bang,bang,bang" do not count????
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I had 5 good shots at the end of the game and we still lost.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Links