How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming you get enough advance notice to put your hand on your gun, I may agree with you. I've never seen anyone I know who ...

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

Assuming you get enough advance notice to put your hand on your gun, I may agree with you. I've never seen anyone I know who pocket carries walk around constantly with their hand on the gun.

If you have to try to draw from the same pocket while busting offline to keep from taking rounds, not so much...

Edge goes to a holster-carried gun.

2. Remove Ads

While walking through a parking lot or other area that makes ones " spider senses" tingle, you are going to look just a little bit stupid walking around with your hand under your shirt or/ and on the hip.

I have been doing this for a long, long time, and as much as I prefer my 1911 or full size revolver, it doesn't get any faster than a hand already on the gun, regardless of incoming rounds or anticipation of assault.

Advantage; j frame, with hand on it ready to fire
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Assuming you get enough advance notice to put your hand on your gun, I may agree with you. I've never seen anyone I know who pocket carries walk around constantly with their hand on the gun.

If you have to try to draw from the same pocket while busting offline to keep from taking rounds, not so much...

Edge goes to a holster-carried gun.
    I don't think it's about being able to constantly walk around with your hand on your gun. I think it's more about being able to walk around with your hand on your gun if the situation warrants it without looking suspicious.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I was walking to a restaurant where i had to park a couple blocks away. I had to pass the bus station, the one that Greyhound and such leave from. i pass some seedy looking thugs, walk a little further and notice they are now following me. At next street light, i stop, place hand in pocket of jacket, and wait for "gentlemen" to pass me, so i dont have anyone at my back. Damn right hand was on the revolver for the rest of the walk to the restaurant. Another good option, and is why a small j frame 5 shooter is so versitile. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

When I lived in the mountains of Virginia, we spent a goodly portion of the year wearing heavy coats usually zipped up. Try to get to your IWB with layers of clothes covered by a long winter jacket zipped up. That's when I also put my 442 in my coat pocket. I could walk through parking lots with my hands in my pockets and on the snub and it could be fired from inside the pocket without any problem. That's the ultimate in ready access. When I got inside (mall, wally world, wherever) and removed my coat, I descretely eased it in my weak side pants pocket where my pocket holster was waiting for it. Now that I live in Florida, I don't think I've worn a jacket since I've been here.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I just wonder if those that feel the need to have a large mag and extra mags also have 4 spare tires in their vehicles just in case all 4 tires go.... Just asking..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I just wonder if those that feel the need to have a large mag and extra mags also have 4 spare tires in their vehicles just in case all 4 tires go.... Just asking..........
    The Ad Hominem attack is inappropriate and unwelcome.

5 cans of Fix-a-Flat I do have in my car's trunk.
    Rollo and TN_Mike like this.

No matter what I carried over the years. One or Two back up 5 Shooters were always in a available pocket for my hand to rest on if need be.

In response to the original question - have we ever been in a situation where 5 shots weren't enough?

One case I was personally involved in. May not be directly relavent, but a suicide bomber driving a truck in Iraq was struck 17 times by 5.56 rounds from multiple M4's. At least 3 (non-penetrating) head shots. And he survived the attack - no %#it!

Luckiest man alive. Or unluckiest - no 72 virgins for him. We referred to him as "Matrix Man"
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness"
    Annonymous

When 5 shots was not enough.....

WWI
    WWII
    Korea
    Vietnam
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Guest1 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The reason for carrying a spare magazine isn't because anyone thinks they may get into a protracted gun fight as those statistically nearly never happen. The reason a person who carries a semi-auto should carry a spare magazine is because with any modern semi-auto firearm the magazine is the single most common point of failure. Base plates break, magazine lips bend, magazines jam. The onject is to be able to clear a malfunctioning magazine and be back in whatever is left of a fight.

With a platform like a semi-auto, that is so easy and quick to reload or clear a failure of a magazine, one would be foolish not to carry a spare magazine.
    sparkykb likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I was involved in an incident (I'm a civilian). Fortunately, drawing my weapon was all it took to defuse the situation. At that time I carried a G19, and a spare magazine. I did not, however, feel like I ever needed to shoot 30 times. I carried extra in case of malfunction or failure, and that spare magazine really just served as a safety blanket for me.

Most often, every encounter you will hear about will be different from the next. In a typical, commonly reported situation, 5 rounds will be plenty. You may encounter failures, both in bullet or firearm, or you could find out the person you just stopped with 3 bullets has 2 friends hiding that now want to rough you up for your actions.

You could also find yourself at the mercy of a hyped up prosecutor who wants a better understanding on why you're loaded down with 45 rounds. Being outgunned and or outnumbered is a chance that even police officers take, so I think the answer to the question is.. If you feel 5 rounds is enough, then 5 rounds is enough.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
    If you feel 5 rounds is enough, then 5 rounds is enough.
    Good answer. I feel much of this has to do with risk assessment and management, so it's partly psychological. Which caliber should we carry? .32? .380? 9? .40? .45? Or maybe we should move up to 12 ga? Not enough? 10 ga fired from a converted Saiga-12 with drum magazines all around your waist!? RPGs? The answer depends on what threats you think you're likely to face, and how well do you want to prepare for them. A lone mugger or a whole armed gang? You decide, because it's a decision that you'll have to live with. Or die with.

Statistics helps, but at the end this is up to you. Sure, 98% of all violent incidents end in five shots or less (this is a made up stat). But maybe you want to prepare for the 2%. Some people stock a year's worth of food, others a week's worth of water, and most don't prep at all.
    cz75luver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While walking through a parking lot or other area that makes ones " spider senses" tingle, you are going to look just a little bit stupid walking around with your hand under your shirt or/ and on the hip.

I have been doing this for a long, long time, and as much as I prefer my 1911 or full size revolver, it doesn't get any faster than a hand already on the gun, regardless of incoming rounds or anticipation of assault.

Advantage; j frame, with hand on it ready to fire
    I'm not the least bit worried about looking stupid if it means my safety especially considering it'll be people I don't know and probably will never see again. Even if I did, I don't really care what they think. The only opinions that matter to me are those of my family and my employer and even then, my opinion overrides.

True story:
    Georgia, out late one night and I'm carrying my P89 (first gun I ever owned) in a shoulder holster while walking through a parking lot. Two guys come from around a building staring and walking directly to me. My hand goes through my unzipped jacket onto the butt of the gun. Guys see the motion, but not the gun, turn around, and walk away. So in review, full size gun, holstered, and with hand on gun. Trouble avoided simply by appearance equals win-win in my book.
    TN_Mike likes this.

If five shots is not enough I hope at least they are hitting the BG or a backstop and not some poor bystander
    Guest1 likes this.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Links