How many times were 5 shots not enough? - Page 14

How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mb1900 Statistics helps, but at the end this is up to you. Sure, 98% of all violent incidents end in five shots ...

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Statistics helps, but at the end this is up to you. Sure, 98% of all violent incidents end in five shots or less (this is a made up stat). But maybe you want to prepare for the 2%. Some people stock a year's worth of food, others a week's worth of water, and most don't prep at all.
    That's exactly it IMHO.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Wow! 14 pages of posts! As is my usual practice in such cases, I'll only post once here, with a few semi-random thoughts. At one time, there was a statistic circulating that we Americans all have a one in five chance of being the intended victim of a violent assault sometime in our lives. (I know, lies, damn lies, and statistics... I do not know if this figure comes only from questions asked of living persons.) If we assume that to be true, however, then the odds have already gone against us if we need to have a gun to defend ourselves. Therefore, I have always carried a gun with at least 8 rounds onboard, along with spare reloads for my primary and often, a backup gun. If the odds have already gone against me once, why should I bank on the ones that say I'll only need two rounds? Does that mean that I think I'm likely to need all those rounds? No; of course not. Anyone who carries a J-frame and no reload is banking on the odds, just as are those who choose not to carry at all. Nonetheless, a carrier of a 5-round gun with no reload is far better off than someone who doesn't carry at all, and in terms of "who's the smartest?" between those two choices, I think the answer is a no-brainer.
    zonker1986 and oneshot like this.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    The more ammo you carry the less likely you will always carry because of the bulk & weight. Then again those that carry lots of ammo are probably more inclined to always carry for a number of reasons. Hmmmm

Your right this probably won't end well.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    The more ammo you carry the less likely you will always carry because of the bulk & weight. Then again those that carry lots of ammo are probably more inclined to always carry for a number of reasons. Hmmmm

Why is it either "lots of ammo" or none? It sounds rather polarizing. I advocate a reload for a semi and two for a revolver, I do no see that as "Lots of ammo". I would much rather carry a mag I never have to use, than need it and wish I had it.
    TN_Mike likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post

I carry a Glock 17 and/or 19 with extra mags all day, every day, for a very simple reason. Much better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Now that the Colorado shooting happened and this is a fresh little reminder of what can happen. Anyone here want to step up and be the first and say that five rounds would have been enough with 100% certainty to take this whacko out?

Heck this has me rethinking the days in which I go light with a 9mm pocket carry and spare mag. Even then it's still 14 rounds and I am rethinking my carry routine. I guess I will carry the Glock or M&P more even in the summer.
    Bad Bob, zonker1986 and F350 like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Now that the Colorado shooting happened and this is a fresh little reminder of what can happen. Anyone here want to step up and be the first and say that five rounds would have been enough with 100% certainty?

Heck this has me rethinking the days in which I go light with a 9mm pocket carry and spare mag. Even then it's still 14 rounds and I am rethinking my carry routine. I guess I will carry the Glock or M&P more even in the summer.
    I could not say with 100% certainly that one hundred rounds and a hand grenade backup would have been enough.

Michael

People need to take into consideration the number of misses possible. For those of us that train in shoot houses or on ranges with moving targets, we know that we can never guarantee the same hits we can on a static range against stationary targets.

Considering the fact that the national average for law enforcement is one hit for every four or five rounds fired, we can also assume that number fits for the average firearm carrier with little training. So, the question is, are you comfortable with your training that you are a better shooter in an active gunfight than your average police officer? If you are, then by how much? Can you guarantee two rounds hitting their mark for every four or five fired? Again, this is an average… I know there are cops landing every shot and others that have landed none, just using it to make a point.

I guess the other question is, what advantage does a 5 shot revolver have over a semi automatic that holds more rounds and reloads faster? Is it reliability? If so, have you not trained properly in dealing with a malfunction or have you not tested your firearm enough to be completely confident in it and your ability?

For me, I just don't see any advantage that would make me choose a handgun with fewer rounds and considerably slower reloads. I do understand the average defensive encounter will only require a couple shots, but who's to say that YOUR encounter will be average?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If the guy that was laying at his feet while he was shooting would have put 5 shots straight up between his legs, then it may have been enough. On the other hand, a shotgun, AR15, 2 pistols, and body armor...there may not be a CCW on the planet that would have been enough. IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts...truth is no one there had anyting, so the world will never know what may or may not have been "enough."
    sheepdog37 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I know these are extremes, but it proves that it does happen on occasion, no matter how unlikely it is.

This guy took 17 rounds of 45acp before he stopped what he was doing...

He had fatal woulds to his vital organs and continued to shoot at police. It took 3 fatal gunshots to the head to bring him down.

Shots Fired: Skokie, Illinois 08/25/2008 - Article - POLICE Magazine

Both Det. Reston and the scumbag both took more than 7 rounds before the bad guy finally expired. I think only one bullet that hit Reston impacted his vest or PC. Reston was shot with a 45 and he was carrying either a 40 or 45, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.policeone.com/police-hero...-Jared-Reston/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    This guy took 17 rounds of 45acp before he stopped what he was doing...

He had fatal woulds to his vital organs and continued to shoot at police. It took 3 fatal gunshots to the head to bring him down.

Shots Fired: Skokie, Illinois 08/25/2008 - Article - POLICE Magazine
    Here's one right in my hometown where the police fired 59 rounds at an armed assailant. Forty three gunshot wounds were found by the medical examiner but it was uncertain if some were exit wounds. The caliber used by the four officers? .45 ACP.

http://newsone.com/280847/police-sho...-in-tennessee/
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Here's one right in my hometown where the police fired 59 rounds at an armed assailant. Forty three gunshot wounds were found by the medical examiner but it was uncertain if some were exit wounds. The caliber used by the four officers? .45 ACP.

Police Shoot Man 43 Times In Tennessee | Breaking News for Black America
    That's freaking scary...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Is it reliability?
    My recent luck with a J frame says no...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If the guy that was laying at his feet while he was shooting would have put 5 shots straight up between his legs, then it may have been enough. On the other hand, a shotgun, AR15, 2 pistols, and body armor...there may not be a CCW on the planet that would have been enough. IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts...truth is no one there had anyting, so the world will never know what may or may not have been "enough."
    From what I've heard the theater was posted "NO GUNS" Besides that fact that the sign did not stop the crazy guy; I'm wondering if that will be a "key" point in the theater's liability in the upcoming legal actions by the victims.

I Wisconsin you give up and legal protection from liability for injury if you post "NO GUNS"
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

If it's your time, it's your time - I'd rather have my name on the news saying the gunman wasn't stopped, but thanks to him more people are safe; than be the schmuck on the news who layed his baby on the floor and ran out leaving his fiance and 2 kids behind.

Does anyone know if the fire door alarm reg applies to businesses, I've only seen the part that applies to schools.

Sponsored Links