How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was only in one situation when I had to draw that was not duty related. That was about 2 years ago right down the ...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

I was only in one situation when I had to draw that was not duty related. That was about 2 years ago right down the road. I made a quick trip to the store, threw the j in my pocket.

While preparing to leave, a vicious fight broke out in the parking lot. 2 guys were beating this one up, and one had a big piece of wood. I broke it up, but when the guy with the stick refused to put it down and advanced, out came the j frame. It ceased all hostilities.

But I know that doesn't count. Ya gotta shootem dead before it means anything.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Currently the smallest gun I own is my G26. So I can't even be tempted to just stick the J-frame in my pocket for the quick trip to the store.

I once was surrounded by 6 or more storm troopers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SWIll, Rhcmlc and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    However, you must do what makes yourself the most comfortable since you are the one having to live with the decision.
    Or dying.
    C hawk Glock and 40Bob like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

...since you and your loved ones are the one having to live or die with the decision.
    Fixed your post for you
    Erick46590 and 40Bob like this.

Wow is right.......I have an LCP with Hornady CD loaded. If I hit someone 7 times center mass and that did not stop the treat I would turn and run like I never ran before. In my shape I hope I would make it 200 feet or so before I dropped dead myself.
    Brad426 and baren like this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I once was surrounded by 6 or more storm troopers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^
    No fair, you're the Master.
    They were all dead before You knew it.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    Wow is right.......I have an LCP with Hornady CD loaded. If I hit someone 7 times center mass and that did not stop the treat I would turn and run like I never ran before. In my shape I hope I would make it 200 feet or so before I dropped dead myself.
    I'll clarify my friend's fight for you guys:

It was night, in a parking area around several vehicles. Distance was less than 10 feet, and both parties were moving. Attacker had a knife.

Every round hit, but not every round was COM (I know one was a shoulder hit). As his incident typifies many real gunfights, do you still want to bet on merely having 5 or so shots in the gun?

It was a lot different than shooting at a stationary target on the range.
    Spirit51 and 40Bob like this.

It all boils down to four things,1 the bullet placement where you hit your target either you hit the vital zone or you don't it makes all the difference , 2 caliber the larger the more damage, 3 distance you are shooting from which can change the performance of some calibers and the performance from a short barrel , 4 and what are you shooting it from a 1 1/2 inch barrel J frame? the longer the barrel the more energy it will gain, it has more time to gain energy with a longer barrel increasing the damage it will do...And also remembering that using a revolver you do lose some gas pressure between the cylinder and the barrel. The most important part is your placement the next is the bullet performance the longer the barrel the larger the caliber increases your odds and also that longer barrel give you a longer sight radius increasing your accuracy

Sounds to me you are looking for justification to carry a five shot gun and if that is what you want do it but as for me I choose to carry a gun with a little more fire power. I don't anticipate trouble but if it comes I want to be ready and to bring less to fight more is foolish.

What good is a gun with no ammo?
    sgb, CDW4ME and 40Bob like this.

I didn't need more than five shots even having fired my weapon sevaral times as an active duty LEO. Vietnam, well, that was different.
    LouisianaMan, rdpG19 and Tayopo like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I did read of one account where a revolver was emptied, but the fight continued hand-to-hand until the defender wrestled the attacker's shotgun away, and ended the fight with that. The account did not say how many hits were made with the revolver.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with only 5 shots. That's why my LCR is backed up by my LCP. At times, I will carry my G26. On duty, my primary is my Glock 30.

You can find accounts of folks not being stopped with any number of handgun rounds, of any caliber. Handguns suck. If your first few shots to the torso do not end things, try for the head. Continuing to shoot the torso when you do not see an effect is stupid - maybe the perp has a vest on?

I'll get the popcorn going...

oneshot likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Not directly answering your question, but: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings (avg. (and median?) number of shots fired: 2)
    Very nice. The Author is a member here.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    So far, I have needed 0 shots in an SD situation. Does this mean I should stop carrying altogether?

The only civilian I personally know involved in a gunfight (co-worker) emptied his LCP into his attacker and the guy lived to face trial. Said co-worker traded for a higher capacity 9mm after his fight.

But did the 6+1 rounds of the .380acp of his LCP stop his attacker ??? If so then the LCP did its job and why why is he looking for more rounds ??? To *KILL* his attacker ?? If so then that may be murder in my opinion. God Bless

***Sorry saw your added reply about it not completely stopping the attack.
    Last edited by VBVAGUY; July 15th, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Saw added reply

Barrel length is BS at SD distance. A 158 weight swc at 800fps is very adequate, has awesome penetrating quality, and is not dependent on speed or becoming a pretty flower petal to work.
    msgt/ret, mlr1m, wmhawth and 6 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links