How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something else; the " you carry a spare tire" argument is weak bs that is always regurgitated by people who find it easier to follow ...

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

Something else; the " you carry a spare tire" argument is weak bs that is always regurgitated by people who find it easier to follow the philosophy of others rather than think for themselves.

Most everyone has had a flat tire, and probably more. Very few people have been in a real SD situation where they had to use DF. The statistics are not even close.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From article;

If the defender fires any shots, most likely it will be 2 rounds.
    The shooting distance in the vast majority of cases was slightly in excess of arm's length.
    At this distances, even .22s and .25s are highly immediately lethal.
    A revolver, even J-frame, is perfectly capable of dealing with almost all of the incidents.
    The ones which were beyond the capabilities of a five shot revolver would be best deal with by a shotgun, anyway.
    For those who do not practice, a revolver is far preferable to the autoloader because of the revolver's simpler manual of arms

^^^^^^^All we are doing here folks^^^^^^^^^^

is making a case for the anti-gun polititians to pass legislation which mimmicks Mexicos BS laws, which state all you can have is these many firearms, and in these calibers.

From Wikipedia:
    Gun politics in Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos (Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives)[3]

Generally, citizens are restricted by law to:
    pistolas (handguns) of .380 Auto or .38 Special revolvers or smaller (.357 Magnum, .357 SIG, and 9x19mm Parabellum or larger are restricted)[4][5]
    escopetas (shotguns) of 12 gauge or smaller, with barrels longer than 25 inches, and
    rifles (rifles) bolt action and semi-auto.

Handguns in calibers bigger than those mentioned above are forbidden from private ownership without a federal license and restrictions similar to the U.S. National Firearms Act (NFA).

Examples of firearms that are legal for citizens to own include .380 ACP pistols, .38 Special revolvers, 12 gauge shotguns (no short-barreled shotguns are allowed) and rifles in any caliber with exceptions such as .30 Carbine, 7mm and 7.62 mm Carbines.

End quote;

I say, lets quit helping the very people who wish us left to defend ourselves with the resources that David had back in Biblical times.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

So far of our 1st hand accounts of this population sample, we have 1 person (LEO in civilian capacity) who has had to draw in SD and no shots were fired. One LEO that has fired shots on duty, and they were all less than 5. Still not a single SD situation out of 59,000+ members necessitating more than 5 shots. While anything is possible, and you can always find examples on the interwebz (or stories of a friend someone knows, etc.), I am simply asking for 1st hand accounts out of this particular 59,000+ population. I'm just curious. I have numerous 5 shot revolvers and numerous high capacity auto-loaders and I carry both at different times depending on attire, circumstances, etc. I'm not married to one over the other.
    MisterMoo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    So far of our 1st hand accounts of this population sample, we have 1 person (LEO in civilian capacity) who has had to draw in SD and no shots were fired. One LEO that has fired shots on duty, and they were all less than 5. Still not a single SD situation out of 59,000+ members necessitating more than 5 shots. While anything is possible, and you can always find examples on the interwebz (or stories of a friend someone knows, etc.), I am simply asking for 1st hand accounts out of this particular 59,000+ population. I'm just curious. I have numerous 5 shot revolvers and numerous high capacity auto-loaders and I carry both at different times depending on attire, circumstances, etc. I'm not married to one over the other.
    Given the infrequency of non-LEO shooting by law-abiding citizens, your criteria was rigged from giddy-up. I see you chose to ignore my previous post completely.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    This will not end well.
    Theoretically, it should just be posts of those 1st hand accounts. I'm not debating the merits one way or another, just interested in those examples of when it occurs. Let the examples speak for themselves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Theoretically, it should just be posts of those 1st hand accounts. I'm not debating the merits one way or another, just interested in those examples of when it occurs. Let the examples speak for themselves.
    Another theory, equally valid, is that those who found their low-capacity response capabilities lacking aren't alive to answer here.
    kmagnuss, Cuda66 and Bad Bob like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Given the infrequency of non-LEO shooting by law-abiding citizens, your criteria was rigged from giddy-up. I see you chose to ignore my previous post completely.
    I can look up any number of examples on the interwebz myself. I'm only interested in 1st hand accounts of this 59K+ population.

Another theory, equally valid, is that those who found their low-capacity response capabilities lacking aren't alive to answer here.
    Perhaps not. There are plenty of examples out there one can look up of 1 shot being plenty or 6 not being enough. Choose what you are comfortable with and hopefully none of us ever have to find out how many is truly enough.

WHen your gun goes bang people dont want to stay around and hang. 5 rounds is plenty
    KoB likes this.

????! Am I the only one here that can't find the logic here. Ill give it a try;

So what you are saying then, is that of the hundreds or thousands of documented SD shootings in which it took less than 5, hell, less than 3 shots for a citizen to defend home, hearth, and family, that there may be a number greater than the successful ones we read about that perished due to lack of fire power?
    Or possibly a number so small it's not even a blip on the statistica radar?
    MisterMoo and BigJon10125 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Anticdotes may be found to statisicize (if you will) any point of view. How about the stopped threats with zero shots fired. How many unarmed victims disarm the attacker and turn his gun against him? I doubt there are examples of people getting killed because they had too much ammo on board.

In 18 years, 3 students each fired one shot to stop the attack, and 5 students fired none. Thankfully, a host of other students have reported that their mindset and awareness allowed them to avoid a confrontation altogether.

Does that mean a single snub is sufficient? Does that mean SA alone is good enough? Need more butter on the popcorn?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2, 5, or full standard .45 magazine, a full 9/40/.357 who knows how many shots it will take. Hopefully if any of us get into a shooting our shots will be center mass above the nipple line and centered between the shoulders but no hit on the shoulders.

If we have the right Aim with the right bullets we should be fine.

We all will carry different guns into battle with different capacities, some will have one, others will have many. Some are bringing a rifle/shotgun to bear and backed by up their pistol.

The outcome will be dead or seriously wounded thugs, if we go down also let it be after all threats have been eliminated by how ever many shots it takes.

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I think all these 5 rounds guys are secretly FEDS and work on the Obama campaign......I can just see it now.........

"We aren't just going to limit them to ten rounds mags, lets make them all carry snubbies!"

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

These type of of posts are what I love to read but it seems like a "pot stirring" to me. Everyone is going to have their own theory's. I mean on another post a guy was car jacked with a gun to his head. He gave up his vehicle and of course someone says they wouldn't of rolled over that easy. My point is I don't know enough people personally who like firearms like I do so I frequent this place, it's garage talk to me. Must of us aren't experts and few us have thankfully never had to stop a threat. Everyone has a opinion on this one you just have to take it with a grain of salt. I'd much rather have 5 shots then 2, I'd much rather have 2 then a rock. Limited capacity to me means more research is needed to maximize the those 5 shots.
    blitzburgh, miller_man and baren like this.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links