How many times were 5 shots not enough? - Page 4

How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This won't settle the debate, but I will commend three relevant books to all contributors to this thread: Thank God I Had a Gun - ...

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This won't settle the debate, but I will commend three relevant books to all contributors to this thread:
    Thank God I Had a Gun - Chris Bird
    Guns Save Lives - Robert A. Walters
    The Ayoob Files: The Book - Massad Ayoob

Each book details incidents where the presence of firearms in the hands of armed civilians made a difference in the survival of innocents or the apprehension of criminals.

Seems to me that very few here are on the fence about whether a 5-shot snub or a G17 with 2 spare mags are "enough" to tote around. You make your decision based on the information available to you and hopefully a fair dose of intelligence. After that, you don't need to justify your decision to anyone but yourself. As stated in a related post, there will always be some situations where even a crew-served weapon is inadequate, and lots more where the mere display of a firearm was enough to bring hostilities to an end. The simple act of having a gun on you puts you well ahead of the unarmed when it comes to defending yourself and those around you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Honest to goodness SD shooting situation here!!!! I head shot 5 zombies last night, reloaded with my quick strips, and then was ready for more. If it is good enough for Zombies, its good enough for daily life. Ha ha.

Carry what you want, who cares what the rest think. For me, it IS a 5 shot snubby... S&W642 OWB. I am pretty good with that little bugger, and if i cannot defend within 5 shots, i am in deep doo doo. Bunker
    wmhawth and glockman10mm like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Something else; the " you carry a spare tire" argument is weak bs that is always regurgitated by people who find it easier to follow the philosophy of others rather than think for themselves.

Most everyone has had a flat tire, and probably more. Very few people have been in a real SD situation where they had to use DF. The statistics are not even close.
    Not weak at all. It simply says to be prepared. I carry both a spare tire and a weapon. I hope I won't need either. Sorry off topic.

Michael

The whole point of this thread was to cull out opinion, theory, anecdotal examples, etc. and get down to real life 1st hand experiences of this specific population. I carry a 5 shot snub 50% of the time and a XD40sc 50% of the time. About 10% of the time I carry both. I'm not married to one over the other. My thoughts were that if the 5 shot snub were so woefully inadequate then there had to be AT LEAST 1 member out of 59,766 that carries a high capacity pistol that actually had to use (in a non-LEO non-military capacity) it in excess of 5 shots. We have yet to have one posted.

Like I said, I'm not married to one over the other. I'm just curious. I don't really care what anyone else carries or why and I don't need any validation of my choices. In the "decide for yourself" camp, some real experiences from a first hand account would be beneficial. That's all.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Location may play more of a roll in selection. If, and when I travel to an area, such as a big city, such as Los Angelas, or Chicago. or other area where civil unrest or riots are a possibility, or going out of town into an unknown environment away from my " stash" I would possible up my carry piece, and probably supplement it with a long gun.

In my own town or areas around it, 5 or six shots with a reload in the pocket will make me feel well armed against even several thugs. However those types tend to not hang around these parts long.
    kmagnuss and sinzitu like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Another theory, equally valid, is that those who found their low-capacity response capabilities lacking aren't alive to answer here.
    What is your issue Mike, seriously. The op asked a question with the parameters based on what he wanted to know. Seems like you have a real issue with either the op or the question. You can make your points and suggestions without coming across in a bad way.

Is the number of shots fired during a typical shooting influenced by the number of rounds you have available? Does a person who has 15+ rounds available to him without reloading shoot more than a person with only five? Does he use the fine art of spray and pray more than the person with limited ammo?

Michael

I agree G-man. I carry a variety of handguns depending on where I'm going, what I'm doing, etc. Sometimes it's a revolver, sometimes a semi, sometimes both. I have practiced reloading with a speed loader to the point where reload times from last shot to next shot (with reload in pocket for both) with either a revolver or semi are negligible difference. One advantage I see with the semi (that doesn't have mag disconnect) is you can reload with one in the chamber before your mag goes completely dry and still be able to fire your weapon. This does not necessitate manipulating the slide. I can't do that with the cylinder of a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Is the number of shots fired during a typical shooting influenced by the number of rounds you have available? Does a person who has 15+ rounds available to him without reloading shoot more than a person with only five? Does he use the fine art of spray and pray more than the person with limited ammo?

Michael
    Another cause and effect question: Does having 19+1 rounds in your gun and 2 more 19 round mags in your pocket give a person a sense of confidence or otherwise embolden them to go into a situation or stay in it rather than avoid it or get the heck out of dodge? I dont' know. Not much of a way to scientifically measure it.

When I was looking at a j- frame .38 spcl I asked LEO. He said their great and pretty much what he carriers concealed, he did say he traded his .38 spcl in when he went a call that had all 5 in him and lived. He got a similar model and but in .357.

The "more is better" mentality is a good one IMHO, but I think what BD was trying to say,without stirring up a hornet's nest, was can you get away with a 5-shot revolver in MOST cases based on real examples from DC members. Nothing more,nothing less. Do I feel more comfortable with more rounds?...YES, but I won't feel "naked" taking my SP101 for a spin out on the streets either.
    glockman10mm, mprp, ctr and 2 others like this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    No personal experience with defensive shooting, but my guess would be 5 shots would be sufficient in 99% of defensive situations. Life is a gamble, you can plan for different contingencies but that doesn't mean it will go the way you have planned for.
    87% of statistics are made up on the spot, and 92% of people believe them whether they are accurate statistics or not.
    helderberg likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Location may play more of a roll in selection. If, and when I travel to an area, such as a big city, such as Los Angelas, or Chicago. or other area where civil unrest or riots are a possibility, or going out of town into an unknown environment away from my " stash" I would possible up my carry piece, and probably supplement it with a long gun.

In my own town or areas around it, 5 or six shots with a reload in the pocket will make me feel well armed against even several thugs. However those types tend to not hang around these parts long.
    So you DO think that more capacity is probably better in a more densely populated area. Maybe now you get the point that I was trying to make in the other thread. Not all of us live in the sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if just ONE of my old patrol districts has a bigger population than your entire county in Kentucky.
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 15th, 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: insulting comment
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    This!^^^^^^^^ may just be the true question at hand. And it's one I have secretly wondered, but did not bring up because it may stir up an emotional hornets nest.

If we couldanswer this question it would not only answer BugDudes, but have long reaching fundamental and financial repercussions in the firearms community.

Maybe it's time to challenge ourselves to think beyond the current ideology of the day. After all, it is, driven by the market. How much of the market, by this I mean product and training, is really necessary to your particular needs?
    mprp, Hopyard, baren and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think the assumption that 59,000+ members will read this thread and comment on firsthand knowledge of defensive encounters is just silly. There are currently 381 members logged on, 35 of them browsing this particular thread. The most members logged in at one time on this forum in the past has got to be, what, 1000 or 2000 at best? Registered members and ACTIVE members are entirely different numbers.

I wouldn't put much stock into the responses received from a tiny, tiny minority of DC members, which in itself represents an extremely tiny minority of gun owners in this country. This is a great forum, but there are much better ways to choose a defensive arm than casting a net for anecdotes on a gun forum.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links