How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Is the number of shots fired during a typical shooting influenced by the number of rounds you have available? Does a ...

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Is the number of shots fired during a typical shooting influenced by the number of rounds you have available? Does a person who has 15+ rounds available to him without reloading shoot more than a person with only five? Does he use the fine art of spray and pray more than the person with limited ammo?

Michael
    Best Post yet!!! Every round comes with a lawyer attached. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Location may play more of a roll in selection. If, and when I travel to an area, such as a big city, such as Los Angelas, or Chicago. or other area where civil unrest or riots are a possibility, or going out of town into an unknown environment away from my " stash" I would possible up my carry piece, and probably supplement it with a long gun.

In my own town or areas around it, 5 or six shots with a reload in the pocket will make me feel well armed against even several thugs. However those types tend to not hang around these parts long.
    This is why I call Tacoma a two magazine town! When I have to go there I am on high alert! haha......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

No personal experience, but here's some thoughts about the thread and the first article. The thing about averages is that there are always the outliers & my G23 is only 6 ozs heavier/.5" taller/.8" longer than an airweight snub. At my size, I'd probably have to wear a holster anyway vs pocket carry. WRT the first article: Did the "average" include the 28% of incidents where 0 rounds were fired?- that would skew things a tad. I think the authors bias is showing in that first article - he goes straight from 5 shot revolver to shotgun, I don't buy the simpler manual of arms (when the full regimin of sight alignment, trigger pull, reloading, etc - see recent thread on complexities of shooting a snub ), not buying the bit about praising revolvers b/c less likely to be involved in an ND - more likely b/c DA trigger which can be found on semi's as well, and the 80% figure for self-inflicted wounds is a setup for the ND "logic" but that includes suicides. Here's another look at the article.

I've heard it said that a big problem with gov't is they always prepare for the last war that was fought - another problem with averages. According to the 1st article 30% of the encounters were home invasions and we keep hearing reports that multiple assailants are becoming more the norm.

While we are all familiar with CC, it isn't anywhere close to being the norm. We hear about LEO's getting into gunfights where multiple rounds are fired - maybe the number of rounds fired average will trend up as CCW #'s increase and there are more carriers present in the population with the option to deal with those threats instead of only having running as an option. Not saying they should confront, but the option would now be there as running isn't always the best option.

Well, I'll only make one follow up point, whatever happens..... I 've learned from experience.... I always want to be in the situation of having more rounds on me than I need, than running out and needing a few more.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My dad can beat up your dad..... so there........
    marcclarke likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Well, I'll only make one follow up point, whatever happens..... I 've learned from experience.... I always want to be in the situation of having more rounds on me than I need, than running out and needing a few more.
    When I carry my 442, I typically have a pocket holster in my left pocket with 3 speed loaders in it and 2 speed strips. That's 30 rounds total. When I carry my XD40sc with 2 extra mags I only have 28 rounds. My G36 with only 1 extra mag is 13 rounds total. FWIW, carrying a snub doesn't automatically mean you are carrying less total rounds.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    When I was AF police back in the 80's I carried 180 rounds of ammo, 1 30 round magazine in the gun and 5 on my belt. This was not combat just regular police security patrol duties. The more the better. I used to think 5 was enough, not anymore with all these mob attacks.
    Basic load was 120...jus sayin
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

What, when and where. I bounce between my g27 and 442 depending on what, when and where. If its just myself running to the corner store I grab the jframe to go. If I'm with the wife and kids I arm up a little more with the g27 with g23 Mag's. Carrrying morso depends on weather/clothing/threat leval combos here in az. Major threats here are methheads, illegals and now bathsalt zombies. Ever heard the saying "dress for successes "? Well, do the same with your gun choice. 442 might be just fine for your situation...

On a side note. Was leaving a buddies house mid evening and was followed then chased by two guys in a minivan. All I had was my 442 on me. I def felt outgunned. Luckily I was able to shake them. The minivan couldn't keep up against my wife's lil corolla at 85 mph! Haha goes to show that you never know what you might be up against. I wished I had my glock.

I know someone that had to use a gun defensively. He'd never post any part of it in a public forum. He considers it Bad Karma.

How many times were 5 shots not enough?

When more were needed.
    pgrass101, sgb and CDW4ME like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Now, most people know I am a big fan of larger calibers, I too also like full sized guns. But I cannot always carry one. And I doubt that anyone here that is being truthful, carrys one all the time, everywhere. And if you do, that will change over time.
    I'm 59, got my first carry permit in Indiana at age 19, first carry gun was a 2 1/2 S&W 19, traded up to a 4" S&W 66, traded up to a 5" 1911, traded up to a long slide 1911, cut back to 5" with the cut off front turned into a comp (and yes I carried it every day it had every bell and whistle available). Then went to a GLOCK 19 for a few years and for the past 10 years or so have carried a 5" double stack Para-Ordnance P-14 .45 everyday. There may a quick dash to the hardware store while I'm working on something when I drop a 10 shot .380 in my pocket, maybe when I'm old and decrepit I'll go small, but not for a long time (hopefully).

When I carry my Ruger SP 101 I carry a additional two reload strips. Total 15.

When I carry my Ruger LCP I carry a extra magazine. Total two magazines 12...one in chamber brings it to 13.

I don't feel this makes me "over prepared".

I also carry a folding knife (Spyderco), pepper spray and a small flashlight. I feel all is reasonable.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

G'morning Scott: in response I would suggest that your friend invest in a better shot placement training.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Not directly answering your question, but: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings (avg. (and median?) number of shots fired: 2)
    There's another study out called 'Tough Targets' and they came up with the same finding - 2 shots was the average.
    Tayopo likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

The 9mm proponents use the extra mag capacity of a G17 (17 rounds) compared to a G22 (.40 cal) which holds 15 as an advantage. That's absolutely laughable. If you're not man enough to control the .40 you won't survive long enough in a gunfight to need that 16th round!

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links