How many times were 5 shots not enough?

This is a discussion on How many times were 5 shots not enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the last few days there have been some points debated regarding j-frames and 5 shots not being enough. This has had me thinking. Currently ...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: How many times were 5 shots not enough?

How many times were 5 shots not enough?

In the last few days there have been some points debated regarding j-frames and 5 shots not being enough. This has had me thinking. Currently there are 59,776 members on this forum. That's a pretty good sample size. How many people here have personally needed MORE than 5 shots in a civilian SD (non-leo or military capacity) situation? Not something you read, or someone you know, but you personally. I'm just curious because this debate seems to pop up every couple of months and is heavily argued by both sides. It just got me thinking out of such a large sample size of people carrying, how many have actually been in a situation that necessitated more than that number of rounds. If you have a personal experience, please describe the circumstances surrounding it. This is a great educational opportunity to study the debate with real situations.
    Hopyard, baren, KSP and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not directly answering your question, but: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings (avg. (and median?) number of shots fired: 2)
    ericb327, KSP, mano3 and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Man, this is right on point of what I've been REALLY pondering lately. If I had more time and pretty much no life - I would want to research all the civilian shootings and see how many shots are fired. I have almost no doubt 5 shots were plenty most of the time. I've been REALLY kicking around the idea of dumping my carry set up right now for a good ol 642 with crimson trace grips and call it good. Just dump it in my pocket and forget about it. I wonder sometimes that when I started looking at carry options if I wanted a semi to carry just cause I like them so much. I think I would enjoy just a simple carry setup with no more "options" or upgrades to consider. Been really close to just making the switch
    Rockymonster, JerryMac and rdpG19 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

So far, I have needed 0 shots in an SD situation. Does this mean I should stop carrying altogether?

The only civilian I personally know involved in a gunfight (co-worker) emptied his LCP into his attacker and the guy lived to face trial. Said co-worker traded for a higher capacity 9mm after his fight.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    In the last few days there have been some points debated regarding j-frames and 5 shots not being enough. This has had me thinking. Currently there are 59,776 members on this forum. That's a pretty good sample size. How many people here have personally needed MORE than 5 shots in a civilian SD (non-leo or military capacity) situation? Not something you read, or someone you know, but you personally. I'm just curious because this debate seems to pop up every couple of months and is heavily argued by both sides. It just got me thinking out of such a large sample size of people carrying, how many have actually been in a situation that necessitated more than that number of rounds. If you have a personal experience, please describe the circumstances surrounding it. This is a great educational opportunity to study the debate with real situations.
    This will not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Not directly answering your question, but: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings (avg. (and median?) number of shots fired: 2)
    Very interesting link, thanks for sharing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    So far, I have needed 0 shots in an SD situation. Does this mean I should stop carrying altogether?

The only civilian I personally know involved in a gunfight (co-worker) emptied his LCP into his attacker and the guy lived to face trial. Said co-worker traded for a higher capacity 9mm after his fight.
    Did the LCP stop the threat? Seems immaterial if the guy lived. What is material is if the attack was stopped.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    This will not end well.
    You are likely right. This is like a 9mm/45 thread. If one looks hard enough, there are outliers. Some dudes have been shot 15+ times and still persisted. On the other hand, Bernard Goetz fought off four attackers with a Model 60. Comes down to doing what you are comfortable with. Respect the decision either way.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Sorry, but my lack of personal victimhood won't disqualify me from responding to your statistically-loaded question. I mistakenly said this guy's .380 didn't get it done. It was his .45, with seven shots technically stopping the threat. The perpetrator's five shots came up way short against an armed response.This author of this account works in Marion:Welcome To Saved By a Gun
    Spirit51 and 40Bob like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Did the LCP stop the threat? Seems immaterial if the guy lived. What is material is if the attack was stopped.
    Actually, no, it didn't stop the threat completely.

He still had to go hands-on with the perp.

VIP Member
    I hear what your saying BugDude, but I not vounteering to be the postor child for the{5 shots ain't enough} crowd, if and when something goes down.

How many of you guys pack extra clothes when going on vacation/business trips etc ,etc?

Got a spare tire?........4 should be enough, right, the're in great shape huh.

Got more food in the pantry/basement than you can eat in a few weeks to a month?
    Why'd you do that, your going back next week right?

Too each their own
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    No personal experience with defensive shooting, but my guess would be 5 shots would be sufficient in 99% of defensive situations. Life is a gamble, you can plan for different contingencies but that doesn't mean it will go the way you have planned for.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Actually, no, it didn't stop the threat completely.

He still had to go hands-on with the perp.
    Wow.

Better to have five than none! Since most of us are not going into combat I would say that the article is probably correct in pointing out two shots. However, you must do what makes yourself the most comfortable since you are the one having to live with the decision.
    rdpG19 likes this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    While I don't agree with the fantasy mindset that one's life is like a scene from Resident Evil whenever one leaves the house, I do believe in being prepared for reasonable scenarios. And in this day and age multiple opponents is a likely scenario. Multiple opponent scenarios in which one, or both, opponents is also probably armed with more than a five shots.
    Badey likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Links