Anyone ever shoot a Taurus PT911?

Anyone ever shoot a Taurus PT911?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever shoot a Taurus PT911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just looking for people with firsthand experiance, or know someone who has handled one. I'm not looking for this to turn into a anti-taurus thread ...

Thread: Anyone ever shoot a Taurus PT911?

Question Anyone ever shoot a Taurus PT911?

Just looking for people with firsthand experiance, or know someone who has handled one. I'm not looking for this to turn into a anti-taurus thread like it already has on another forum. The gun has all the features I want, hi-cap(15rds), concealable size, external hammer, and frame mounted safety/decocker. I'm considering a couple others, but I have already shot those.

So anyone have anything to share on this gun?
    Last edited by Matto4785; September 18th, 2006 at 12:38 AM. Reason: .

I own and have fired this one.

What do you want to know?

Lead Moderator
    Can't speak for the 911, but the 945 a buddy had was junk. it woyuld fail to feed quite often.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Maybe he was limp wristing it?

My 911 has never jammed, nor has it failed to fire, and it's VERY accurate.

I have a PT911. It has worked flawlessly so far and I've put around 1000+ rounds through it. And it actually looks pretty nice too. With that said, now that I have my 1911, it has been relegated to being a house/target gun. Couple of things to consider if you are getting it as your primary CCW gun: it's a double stack mag configuration, so concealability can be a factor. There are two ways you can carry it since it's a DA/SA weapon. You could carry it cocked and locked in SA fashion, but I never felt comfortable doing that because it does not have a grip safety. The other mode would be decocking it (it has a decocker that functions well)and carrying it in double action first shot with following shots in SA. Since the trigger pull is very heavy in that mode you could also consider carrying with safety off. But I've never had a reliability issue with it and accuracy was very acceptable.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

My 945 when I got it failed to feed, had bad magazine, the slot for the mag release has piece of metal sticking inside and dragging on ammo. Replaced magizine with Meggar and gun functions perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by exposurecontrol View Post
    I have a PT911. It has worked flawlessly so far and I've put around 1000+ rounds through it. And it actually looks pretty nice too. With that said, now that I have my 1911, it has been relegated to being a house/target gun. Couple of things to consider if you are getting it as your primary CCW gun: it's a double stack mag configuration, so concealability can be a factor.
    With the exception of my Taurus 617B2, and the Bersa Thunder .380, all the pistols I carry for CCW are double stackers, and concealability is NOT a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by exposurecontrol View Post
    There are two ways you can carry it since it's a DA/SA weapon. You could carry it cocked and locked in SA fashion, but I never felt comfortable doing that because it does not have a grip safety.
    Grip safety? We don't need no STEENKING grip safety!

I carry all of my primary weapons cocked and locked. The only safety I really need, sits between my ears.

Well I was mostly wondering what your impressions of the gun was? Any issues or anything you dont like about it? Any particular ammo that it doesnt like.

I'm seriously considering one, I haven't found many people who own one, but everyone that does, stand strongly by it. Like I said earlier, it has all the features I want, and it seems to be the right size. And the price is great.

Oh, I do have one specific question. How do you like the grip angle, and the grip in general? I've fired my friends glock, and I just dont like the "feel" of it. It doesnt feel natural or something. And the trigger, how's the trigger feel? I've fired a few DA/SA guns, and the transition never bothered me on any of them, though the one had a extremely long pull, even in single action, that I really didnt like.

Thanks

Matt

It points very naturally. I LOVE the big sights, they're easy to pick up. I've not had a problem with any ammo so far. The only thing is, I wish the grip was a little bit longer. The extension on the magazine helps, but I'd still like it a bit longer. Then again, I have large hands.

I don't have issues with the trigger, then again, 99% of the time, I carry it cocked and locked. That's what I like about Taurus pistols. You can do that with them, without worry.

Taurus

I've never had a PT911, but I used to own a PT92-AFS. I had it for about 10 years and had one malfunction, due to ammo. I got rid of it only because it was in Katrina and spent some time under water.
    I didn't trust it, even though I cleaned it up and ran a couple of mags through it as fast as I could pull the trigger.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna have to call up some places, and see if anyone has one in stock.

If you can't find one in a gun store, and if you don't mind buying used, AND if you don't mind shiny with gold accents, let me know.

As much as I don't want to, I might sell mine, if you're interested, and if we can agree on a price.

But I think you should be able to find one.

Good Luck,

Sponsored Links