Wanting a snubby

This is a discussion on Wanting a snubby within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got rid of my little Kel-Tec P32 a while ago because I don't care for pocket carry and I saw no need for carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Wanting a snubby

Wanting a snubby

I got rid of my little Kel-Tec P32 a while ago because I don't care for pocket carry and I saw no need for carrying it IWB. I am currently looking for a snubby revolver to replace it. For the most part, this will be carried as a BUG or summer carry gun IWB when wearing clothes that don't work well with the G19. I would also like for this to be a fun range gun. I've also though about picking up a Glock 26 since they are about the same size as a snubby, but it weighs more than the lighter snubbys.

My current choices are, in no particular order, all in .38SPL:

1) Ruger LCR
    2) S&W Model 36 (used)
    3) S&W 642/637

The Model 36 will definitely be more fun at the range, will last a lifetime and be more durable than the others, and will have less recoil. The only downsides are that the gun weighs more than the others and it cannot shoot +P defense loads. I like the trigger on the LCR and the 642/637, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lock mechanism on the Smiths. I haven't decided if I want a snubby with or without a hammer. I like the aspect of being able to fire in SA mode at the range and I don't forsee a hammer getting in the way of IWB carry.

Any thoughts on these revolvers? Any others to consider around or under the $500 mark?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    S&W 442/642 are classics. They are available without the lock.

Jim

First off, they are all good choices. 2nd, the M36 will fire defensive loads and even +p loads.

The idea of firing a snubby in SA mode is not the way it should be fired. The revolver carried for SD should be fired in the DA mode, so that's the way you should practice. And practice alot. It is not an easy gun to shoot well.

To take advantage of one of the major strengths of the snub revolver, I recommend one with a fully enclosed hammer, or hammerless model. To be able to quickly, shoot thru a pocket repeatedly at close range, or quickly draw it because you already have a firing grip on it without noone being the wiser are two very real world tactical application that no other firearm can even come close to.

Above all, which ever way you go, practice, practice, practice.
    gasmitty, BugDude and grouse like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

How about the Ruger SP101?
    DanielC likes this.

I'm planning to buy a S&W 442 as an alternate to my M&P Shield 9mm. What is the concern about a lock? I've seen this mentioned in other threads too, but I don't know why that is a factor in the decision.

Have a LCR and it is fantastic. Light weight and disappears in a pocket or waist band. A little bit snappy in the recoil department but it seems to be well made and engineered for +p rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I'm planning to buy a S&W 442 as an alternate to my M&P Shield 9mm. What is the concern about a lock? I've seen this mentioned in other threads too, but I don't know why that is a factor in the decision.
    Some people have a fear that the lock will activate during firing and render it inoperable in the time of need. I have never had this happen and have had several of those with locks built in on them. I personally believe it's way overblown, and nothing to worry about. But some do.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

S&w 642

Of the three guns you mentioned, I have the two S&W models 36 and 642. I find the 642 to be the most useful because of its enclosed hammer and aluminum frame, making it lighter weight than the all steel model 36. The 642 will conceal in a pocket or IWB very easily. I use +P ammo in my 642, for which it is marked on the barrel. It is not a target gun by any means, but is good enough for close range use. Mine is old enough not to have the internal lock, so that isn't an issue for me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Hammerless or shrouded hammer would be more practical from a carry standpoint. I have a 442, 49, and 649.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Anothe vote vote for the LCR.

But go for whichever snubbie feels best in your hands.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    LCR hands down. I have had a J frame for over 30 years but the LCR has taken it's place.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Just HAVING a snubby is the most important part. IMHO, which snubby (among the ones you mentioned) is a completely subjective jump-ball. They're all well-respected, reliable & capable. But since you didn't specify a J-frame and set a $500 budget, I've gotta' mention the S&W snubbies Model 10 & Model 12 (K-frame, 6 shot). I also very much like the Ruger SP101 & the now discontinued Ruger Speed Six. Enjoy picking your favorite!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

There are those hot summer days when only a snub will do and, of course if pocket carry is among your requirements a snubby is just the ticket. Thumbnail pics here are of my S&W438 and my LCR .357. These are my only ultralights.
    Attached Images

I'd also think of S&W Model 19, 2.5" - can shoot .357 or .38 - and a Colt Detective .38SPl or its lighter identical twin: the Colt Cobra 38. The former is for many who know it the quintessential snub (shoots 6). Problem with them is they've gotten pricey like all Colts.If you buy a 38spl look at Buffalo Bore's ammo in 38spl. They make 3 very good and very powerful varieties in standard 38, no need for +P.
    (Two of them have them have penetration of around 18")

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Voted

But the model 36 is also a great pick.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links