M&P Shield 40 -- New Gun, New Problem...

This is a discussion on M&P Shield 40 -- New Gun, New Problem... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the same magazine problem with my 40 shield. However, I have a Crimson Trace (laser) on mine and was convinced the trigger guard ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: M&P Shield 40 -- New Gun, New Problem...

Same problem

I had the same magazine problem with my 40 shield. However, I have a Crimson Trace (laser) on mine and was convinced the trigger guard mount was the cause for the dropped magazines. I will update as soon as I attempt more range time. I am VERY concerned about the problem and will track accordingly. Be aware that the trigger guard mount is very close tolerance around the magazine release button, and if you do have the same weapon and laser you may need to relieve the area around the magazine release or possibly be looking at your magazine at your feet when you should be on the front sight.....

2. Remove Ads

I picked up a Shield in .40 this evening. I completely lucked out - I was in a local gun store picking up a few rounds of 9mm, and I heard the nice lady behind the counter saying "I can't believe that I'm holding one in my hands -these always sell as soon as they arrive." I of course wandered over, asked to "try it on", thought about it for 30 seconds, and offered to plunk down my money.

I haven't had the chance to get it to the range yet - just gotten it home for a field strip, clean, and lube. So far, I've noticed that it does not "feel" like a top-end pistol. Lots of plastic that feels like plastic, mag insertion is a little clunky, there's a gap between the plastic bottom plate on the mag and the bottom of the grip. None of this bothers me, since I bought this as a compact carry pistol, and it still feels very good in my hand. Provided that it shoots the way I think it will (I also own a full sized M&P) I think that I'll be perfectly happy with it. If I'm not, well I'm sure that somebody will be happy to take it off my hands for very close to the same price that I paid for it, even if it has been gently used.

Okay, I got out to the range today. 100 rounds of Winchester 180GR JHP, and 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot.

My impressions:

Yes, it's a small single stack, firing .40 - there is definitely a sharp "snap" of recoil....but that's what I expected. It's not truly objectionable or unpleasant after 200 rounds, but I can see how someone that is recoil advers might find it a bit much. I will admit that the back side of the web of my right hand (the part opposite from the palm) did start to smart a little bit, but nothing worth complaining about. The recoil does seem to come with a reasonable amount of muzzle rise, , but again....what do you expect in a sub-compact .40? Overall, I like the pistol. I don't see it being as enjoyable to shoot as a full size, but overall I do like it.

But here's my problem.

During those 200 rounds, I had 1 FTF (slide stayed to the rear after bolt face caught on the rear of the next round in the mag), 1 FTE (casing was 1/3 of the way out of the chamber, not engaged by the extractor, but with the bolt resting against the rear of it), and one of the dreaded mag-drop stovepipe stoppages. The stovepipe happened when I had just loaded the pistol 6+1 (put a 6 round mag in the pistol, racked the slide, dropped the mag, added 1 round, re-inserted the mag). I will admit that it's possible that I did not quite get the magazine completely home, since I did not physically check to ensure that it would not pull free...but I'm not generally timid or gentle when inserting a mag into a pistol.

I guess the question is this - Do I call S&W customer service, or give it one more session at the range to see if it will mend it's evil ways? Given that I purchased this as a carry gun, I don't think that I'm being unreasonable in saying that I'm a long way from happy with the current reliability. 3 stoppages in 200 rounds is not my idea of happy.

Update:

I had a customer that had the issue of the mag dropping while shooting his .40 Shield. He said another guy at the range said he had the same problem. I called S&W for him and told the customer service rep that a customer was "having a problem of his mag releasing while shooting his shield". The rep immediately replied: "Is it a .40? I'll send a call tag for it and we'll get it taken care of."

So apparently it is happening on more than one, but I've sold many more that have had no issue.

Well, it's good to know that they're aware of the issue....but I"m still a little concerned, because only one of the three stoppages that I had was the of the "mag drop" flavor.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sorry I can't help with the problem you're having. I have noticed however....that a few weeks after everyone went ballistic over getting one of these M&P Shields here......they started showing up for sale on Armslist and Guntrader. Maybe they are not that big of a hit they were portrayed to be? Me? I steer clear of the newest and latest stuff until I've gathered plenty of intel. I'm not laughing or rubbing it in anyone's face......just that I kinda figured this would start happening. I truly sympathize with the restless, and I dislike to see others throw away good money for nothing simply because they are never truly satisfied with what they have. 'New guns shouldn't have new problems'. I'm not even going to offer the 'I told you so' at this point. The M&P is S&W and I figure most of you here already know where I stand with S&W. They've never made a gun I'd want to have. Be that as it may....or it is what it is. If you're new and riding on the hype..........hope you can sell your Shield for what you've got in it and use the money more wisely in the future.

Forum shut down suppressing my earlier response.....odd how thing happen isn't it. But I copied it all before the crash. I'm getting older and wiser.
    Just curious what brand of guns do you like?

Thumbs up S&W 40 Cal Shield problem

I have about 400 rds thru mine so far. It shoot everything I can load into the 2 factory mags without a problem, However The sights are way off. First run of shot were 4 inches left and 5 inches low. I drifted the front sight over some, about to the limit and it still shoots 2 inches off center and low on the paper at 15 yards. I have tried every load from 180 gr to 130 gr loades, reloads and new same deal. I have noticed and it seems maybe linked to the sights being so far off, the brass head area is really beaten up, even factory new stuff. Like some one hit it with a claw hammer or repeated reloaded ammo. The breach face seems smooth enough, the barrel threat as well. I am an avcid shooter and I can keep most of my guns on the center mark without a problem. Even had a range guy put it in a ransom rest, same deal low to the left even with the front sight driven to the extreme? Groups are also about 3 inches at 15 yards as well. My Glock 27 will just about shoot one hole through the other, same deal with my Kar PM40. I have started the process to send it back to Smith for a fix. I will post the results when it comes back, if they tell me what caused the problem. Oh and by the way a friend has a 9mm shield, it shoot awsum right out of the box, right on the money? Never had any problems with S&W guns. But this one just seems like it was made on a saturday night or something. Any suggestions before I send it off would be swell. Thansk everyone for this great forum! XGUNNR

M&P Shield 40 -- New Gun, New Problem...

I love my Shield 40! Got about 300 rounds through it now and no problems. Third mag through the gun was the 7 rounder and I thought I had a drop issue after the first round. But after some investigation I found my left hand was gripping to tight over my right hand and activated the mag release mid cycle. I know this because I recreated the issue. I have since adjusted my grip and grip location and no issues since.

I as well noticed my shots were landing low and to the left, but I hadn't fired a gun in a while and chalked it up to handling issues. I will focus on dialing it in next trip. My friends 40 shield and his wife's 9 shield fire on target. Maybe I'll have him shoot mine since he is a competition shooter he may have different results.

I love my Shield 40

No bobbles.......... Eats everything
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

200 rounds through my Shield in .40 since my last report, and no further issues - it has been much better behaved. I'm still going to want a couple hundred more before I am confident carrying it - but it seems to be well on the road to redeeming itself.

Oh no! Not the M&P mag drop problem all over again????

I thought this was cleared up with the regular M&P line a couple of years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that this vexing issue has resurfaced in the Shield line.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links