I'll admit it I'm a Glocktard...but but its because its all ive ever experienced

This is a discussion on I'll admit it I'm a Glocktard...but but its because its all ive ever experienced within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so here's the deal I have only ever owned Glocks and only shot Glocks and one XD .40. I feel as though I should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I'll admit it I'm a Glocktard...but but its because its all ive ever experienced

I'll admit it I'm a Glocktard...but but its because its all ive ever experienced

Ok so here's the deal I have only ever owned Glocks and only shot Glocks and one XD .40. I feel as though I should experiment around a bit and see if there
    is anything you would recommend for rent or if I should just rent and try out everything.

2. Remove Ads

I've tried pretty much everything, but still carry Glocks. Only gun that could replace my Glocks are Smith & Wesson M&P's. You might give 'em a try.....good guns and great shooters.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My thought would be to try shooting something significantly different than what you're used to. Shoot a revolver or a 1911.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

try a revolver & a shotty!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Same here. Then I took some XD, XDm, Sigs, etc on trade just to try out before I traded em off. They were all good guns but just not for me. I'm back to owning all glocks and couldn't be happier. I do love trying and shooting new guns though, hate being gun prejudice but I do like what I like and it happens to be a boring, simple ole Glock. Now the M&P's do feel good in the hand and would be my second choice as far as a fighting/combat handgun go......

Not sure what your goal is, but for pure plinking pleasure you gotta try a .22-cal pistol like a Browning Buckmark or the Ruger Mark II/III. I fired a Buckmark yesterday for the first time I ever fired a .22 handgun, and it was so damn fun I didn't want to put it down. It has the same recoil as a water gun. With muffs it was as loud as dropping a dime on concrete. You feel like you just shot a BB gun but then a 1/4" hole opens up in the paper downrange the instant you pull the trigger. I'm a guy who thinks 9mm's are for sissies as far as SD goes, but for pure fun at the range try a .22 pistol. I hope to buy one soon. I have my eyes on the Sig 1911 model.

I have a Glock 23. I frequently rent range guns just to try something new and had been considering buying a 1911. In comparing those other brands to Glock, I found that none of them were better IMO. Last range trip I shot a Glock 21 and a Sig 1911. The Glock matched or beat the Sig in every category except looks. The Glock was at least as accurate, more reliable (the Sig jammed), and held more rounds. The Sig's mag didn't drop free when ejected, the Glock did. Long story short, with the exception of looks, I have shot many pistols that cost up to three times more than a Glock, and none of them could beat the Glock.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Glocks are ok. I've owned many, but yeah- it's time for you to sew your oats with some other brands. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice it is to have a gun that doesn't look like a Swingline office stapler lol. Seriously, hold up a stapler like a gun, and pretend you're looking down the sights. Then, pick up your Glock and do the same thing. Yup, it'll be clear to you how boxy they are. It's more than just looks, of course. A blocky gun is harder to conceal

bmcgilvray likes this.

Thanks guys I think I'm definitely going to try some M&Ps. And I'm looking for defensive purposes and range purposes hole defense etc. I have a Glock 22 and a Glock 26 now. I am also in favor of larger calipers for defensive purposes. I may give some Sigs a shot. I like the idea of the shield as well so I may try and shoot some of that. If I end up with Glock I'll be happy just looking to branch out and see if there is anything I like equally or maybe more so. Thanks for all the responses.!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrjunkie View Post
    Ok so here's the deal I have only ever owned Glocks and only shot Glocks
    oh boy?

VIP Member
    If you want to try something that is hammer fired, check out the CZ75 P-01 (9mm) or P-06 (.40).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I also should have mentioned this obviously this is for handgun purposes when it comes to rifles and shottys I've in the realm of ARs, AKs, 870s etc...

Ok so here's the deal I have only ever owned Glocks and only shot Glocks and one XD .40. I feel as though I should experiment around a bit and see if there
    is anything you would recommend for rent or if I should just rent and try out everything.
    To suggest some choices:

Try a metal-framed gun
    Try a single-action auto (e.g., 1911 or Hi-Power)
    Try a traditional double-action auto (e.g., Sig 220, 226, pre-M&P Smiths)
    Try several different calibers, from .22 to .45
    Try a snub revolver (J-frame or equivalent)
    Try a standard-size revolver (K-frame or equivalent)
    Try a single-action revolver (Ruger Blackhawk, Colt Single-Action Army, etc.)

And when you try these different guns out, don't just crank out rounds for the sake of launching lead. Try to gain the "feel" of the gun, the differences in trigger, how the gun reacts in your hand with recoil, how quickly you can regain a sight picture for a follow-up shot, and so on. Gain some critical insight into each weapon, so you can make an informed comparison with your Glocks.
    bmcgilvray and mwhartman like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glocks are world-class guns, but somehow they don't fit me well and tend to be hard on the heel of my firing hand. It wasn't really obvious until I fired the guns (Mods 22 and 27) & my natural hold wasn't working out with the recoil--felt like sandpaper!

As you explore options, concentrate on how the gun seems to fit you & yes, shoot it first if you can rent it.

I agree with Eichorn, personally. Seems like it would be the most fun to try something quite different. Oldrwzer is also correct--for volume practice & shooting pleasure, it's hard to beat a nice .22 auto or revolver.

Now, if your Glock(s) & this new gun are all intended for serious carry use, decide whether you really want variety or really need uniformity/consistency.

In any case, enjoy! It's a nice problem to ponder.

There is nothing else,you are wasting valuable time looking,just buy another Glock and satisfy that craving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links