Help - I've fallen in love with the wrong gun (a tragic love story)

This is a discussion on Help - I've fallen in love with the wrong gun (a tragic love story) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a problem. Lately I've been spending a lot of time & ammo, shooting a Vaquero .357 that I got last month. I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help - I've fallen in love with the wrong gun (a tragic love story)

VIP Member

Help - I've fallen in love with the wrong gun (a tragic love story)

I've got a problem.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time & ammo, shooting a Vaquero .357 that I got last month.

I can understand why some people believe in reincarnation, because ever since the first time that I shot it, it felt like I'd been shooting it all my life. The fixed iron sights are perfectly true. The weight and balance is such that shooting even the most stout .357 load is plain fun.

Until now, my most accurate handgun is the SA 1911 'loaded'. However, I can shoot the Vaquero with just one hand, just as accurate. If I go to two-hands and thumb the hammer with my support hand, my splits are as fast as any semi-auto (shooting .38 spl). It's even a natural point-shooter. If I ever needed to defend myself with a handgun, capacity be darned - this is the gun I want with me.

I know, there's no such thing as a quick reload with a single-action revolver. It's also big and heavy. It OC's perfectly in a western drop-loop holster rig, but that's not exactly the thing I can walk around town with (even if OC was legal in SC and it's not). I even tried IWB'ing it in some old holsters from 'the box', but that big ol' cylinder starts wearing on the hip bone pretty quick.

Alas, my true love is destined to hide in the safe while I carry a Glock day in and day out, waiting for the day when we can sneak off into the country again to OC and shoot with abandon. Truly tragic.
    bmcgilvray and stancehold like this.

2. Remove Ads

Talk to Mr Mernickle of Mernickle Holsters Whec. You can carry and conceal it. I'm glad you have discovered something people have always thought I was wrong about.
    There is nothing as natural at pointing as a SA. And no surprise, it was designed that way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I too, am fond of the SA revolvers. Wish Ruger would chamber the Bear Cat in something other than rim fire. Would be a great carry gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Good pick!

I'd love to grap up a birdshead model, or maybe the matching CAAS set.

You might want to try a shoulder holster to conceal that revolver (when the weather is cooler). I am very happy with the one these folks made for me: Black Hills Leather - The best custom gun leather western holsters & rigs.

I got this model customized for my 3-1/2" barrel SAA - Black Hills Leather - Only the best custom gun leather western cowboy police holsters rigs with an extra holster for a S&W j-frame. It works great.

Good luck and stay safe.

Ken
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I too, am fond of the SA revolvers. Wish Ruger would chamber the Bear Cat in something other than rim fire. Would be a great carry gun.
    Go check out what Gary Reeder does with Ruger single actions (Gary Reeder Custom Gun - for 30 years a leader in custom handguns and rifles.). He's always up to something new and I wouldn't be surprised if he's ginned up something like a .32 magnum in a New Bearcat.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    You might want to try a shoulder holster to conceal that revolver (when the weather is cooler). I am very happy with the one these folks made for me: Black Hills Leather - The best custom gun leather western holsters & rigs.
    Good luck and stay safe.

I got this model customized for my 3-1/2" barrel SAA - Black Hills Leather - Only the best custom gun leather western cowboy police holsters rigs with an extra holster for a S&W j-frame. It works great.

Ken
    Thanks. I'll check 'em out. I'm not sure it gets cold anymore in the winter here in SC. I wore a jacket just a handful of days last year, but I've been thinking about a good shoulder rig for under the leather when I'm on the motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Talk to Mr Mernickle of Mernickle Holsters Whec. You can carry and conceal it. I'm glad you have discovered something people have always thought I was wrong about.
    There is nothing as natural at pointing as a SA. And no surprise, it was designed that way.
    I found some good OWB options on his sight, but with a barrel close to 5", I think I'd have to IWB to properly conceal without wearing a jacket. I think I will give him a call though. I'm envisioning a traditional high-ride forward/aft clip or loop that has a steel-reinforced mouth with a leather hammer thong for retention. I'll have to experiment with the possibility of butt-forward cant, as I prefer a slight barrel-forward cant on a single action, but don't envision that concealing well. Finally, there's the issue of the large cylinder - IWB is just too thick, but in a high-ride may make it top-heavy. It would definitely have to be a custom job... 'Certainly worth a phone call. Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    I've got a stainless Vaquero in .45 Colt. Its one of my favorite guns.

In case you didnt know, those guns were produced with ridiculously high front sights and they usually shoot way low. They were made to file to the point of impact with whatever load you use. Mine took some trial and error, but after filing it down to were it needed to be, its pretty much dead on at 25 yards. You might already know that, but you would be surprised how many dont.

Its just fun to shoot.
    hogdaddy and WHEC724 like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hey, a single action revolver actually is a repeating firearm and enjoys the attribute of providing multiple shots. Just not as many as a high-capacity automatic.

They aren't all that much slower either if one practices with one and applies himself.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My Ruger Vaquero is the only gun I consider carrying when I backpack or hike in the woods. It is a superb gun and I have never felt out of place with it when in the woods.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I have a Colt SAA 5" in 32-20 with an action/trigger worked over and sights regulated by Hamilton Bowen. It is absolutely, positively the most fun of any firearm I have. I even carry it in a Mernickle. And before any of you start to think "32-20....HA!"...you ain't shot my reloads.

It's hell on rabbits. I guess in terms of self defense I could point it in the air and shoot the cylinder empty and try to scare somebody/some thing off....or shoot 'em with it and hope it makes em fall down and crack their skull.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've got a problem.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time & ammo, shooting a Vaquero .357 that I got last month.

I can understand why some people believe in reincarnation, because ever since the first time that I shot it, it felt like I'd been shooting it all my life. The fixed iron sights are perfectly true. The weight and balance is such that shooting even the most stout .357 load is plain fun.

Glad your going through a second childhood, Billy.....Billy the Kid that is!!!!!!!!

Have fun stay safe!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by hardscrabble View Post
    I have a Colt SAA 5" in 32-20 with an action/trigger worked over and sights regulated by Hamilton Bowen. It is absolutely, positively the most fun of any firearm I have. I even carry it in a Mernickle. And before any of you start to think "32-20....HA!"...you ain't shot my reloads.
    Yea for .32-20 revolvers! There's finally someone here on the Forum besides me with a .32-20 revolver. And yep, .32-20 handloads can make a good revolver "walk and talk." Think .327 Magnum. A .32-20 Colt Single Action Army would be a top choice for "enthusiastic" .32-20 handloads.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've got a stainless Vaquero in .45 Colt. Its one of my favorite guns.

In case you didnt know, those guns were produced with ridiculously high front sights and they usually shoot way low. They were made to file to the point of impact with whatever load you use. Mine took some trial and error, but after filing it down to were it needed to be, its pretty much dead on at 25 yards. You might already know that, but you would be surprised how many dont.

Its just fun to shoot.
    Good point - and of course, the POI will be a lot lower with .38 spl, than .357. BTW, I haven't had to file anything off (although I had bought a nice set of files for that purpose). I put the front sight up to look about like a BB when shooting . 38 spl, and then drop it into the groove for .357. I've been popping clays set into the hillside with little effort at 50', and still hitting them if I took my time at 25 yards and out. I had read that some had noted that the high front sight was just about right for a full-hop .357. I don't know if the 4 5/8" barrel plays into that geometry or not...

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Good pick!

I'd love to grap up a birdshead model, or maybe the matching CAAS set.
    The birdshead model is on my 'list'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links