Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ordinarily I would never even look at the Taurus line of handguns, generally alway's looking to increase my collection with H&K, Sig, S&W, Kimber, SA, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP

Ordinarily I would never even look at the Taurus line of handguns, generally alway's looking to increase my collection with H&K, Sig, S&W, Kimber, SA, or some other upscale 1911. This past friday I had decided that another pistol was the order of the day with a few of my disability checks that had stacked on my kitchen counter after a few months.

I proceeded to my local dealer, again , thinking that I would leave with a Sig, or another H&K, maybe even a Kimber "Warrior" but not the case as I glanced at the Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP. I handled it, I looked at the Sig P220R SAO, I handled it again, then relized for the price, perhaps it was time to give a Taurus my serious consideration. After discussing the various feature, the "UNLIMITED" life time warranty, and the high capacity of the 24/7 PRO series I decided to give in make the purchase. After all, for just under $500 I would save myself another $500 or better by forgoing the Sig, or the Kimber Warrior. No doubt about it, the Sig or the Kimber are fine handguns, but I do own them already.

WOW !! Taurus is no longer the "BUDGET" persons handgun. The PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP comes with a stainless slide, rubberized over molded grip, 11 degree grip angle (1911), 2 12 round mags +1 in the chamber, frame mounted safety, on fire indicator, SA/DA operation for the off chance of dud primer, Heinie "Straight 8" rear and front sights, chambered round indicator/visual/tactile, built in 1913 Picatinny rail, and a slide mounted key lock safety. All for just around $515 after the tax !!

First, the 24/7 PRO's ergonomics are outstanding !! Certainly better than the H&K USP and the Sig Classic. The frame mounted safety is easily engaged or disengaged with the thumb. Mags are aluminum and easy to fill with all 12 rounds. (some mags require a hammer to get all the rounds in when there new). Racking the slide seemed a bit stiffer than most, but after some manual break in, it seems to get worked in. The satin finish on the stainless slide is impressive for a lower priced handgun, and the polymer frame with steel inserts is no less impressive than an H&K or Glock frame. Dual recoil spring, with steal and platic insert guide rod are more than you'd expect.

RANGE REPORT: With 50 rounds of Mag-Tech 230 grain and 50 rounds of CCI Blazer 230 grain, both FMJ the Taurus 24/7 PRO was flawless out of the box, not one hicup, stove pipe, nose dive, FTF, or FTE !! At 10 and 15 meters with a B-27 target I was able to place 10 groups of 5 shots all within a two inch group !!! Although is does seem to shoot slightly to the left, but enough that it's not easily remedied by some slight shift in the front sight and. The recoil is impressive in that is feels like the gun is pushing you back, not flying out of your hands with the usual high degree of muzzle lift from standard 1911's or Sig P220 .45 ACP's. This enabled the shooter a quicker acquisition of the front sight to target on second and subsequent shots fired from the Taurus. Reloading the mags using a standard tactical and combat reload were much easier than the Sig or Beretta with full mags..............no more stripping the mag of a round to better seat into the mag well.

I believe after this purchase of the 24/7 PRO .45 ACP Taurus has shown me that they are no longer the "CLONE" 92FS manufacturer for the "BUDGET" buyer. They are merely a low priced, quality, top of the line handgun.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

VIP Member
    Nice report...thanks.

I agree about the ergonomics of the 24/7....it feels good in my hands too.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have a pt145 mil pro I bought about 3 month's ago.So far I have put 600 rds through it without a single problem of any kind.I picked it up for $359 out the door.It is the same size that my defender was.Out to 15 yards I can keep them all in the 10 zone,so its plenty accurate.Its a great ccw.sj

At one point I had heard that the lock would work its way locked after firing alot. Is this true or just hearsay BS that gets passed around?

Jester,I've never heard of that happening to anyone.I know on mine it hasn't,it takes a defenite turn of the key to lock it.I tried on mine just to see how it locked and unlocked,then stuck the key in my gun junk drawer,where its been ever since. sj

Good report SkyGod. I've been looking at the Taurus line for several months now wondering if I should pick one up. Your report has now brought me a little closer. Now I've got to decide if I want another 1911 model or a 24/7 Pro.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 9mm and I absolutely love it. Again as stated Taurus was not my first choice, but after firing it and looking at the price tag I took it home.

The straight 8 sights were called some nasty names at first, but it was just ME not being used to it.

Not sure if you had noticed, but the sights seem more tactical than target. I was always told "tactical" sights you have to cover the target at certain ranges, rather than stack the target on top of the front sight. Took some getting used to, but shoots like a dream now.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

PT1911

Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob View Post
    Good report SkyGod. I've been looking at the Taurus line for several months now wondering if I should pick one up. Your report has now brought me a little closer. Now I've got to decide if I want another 1911 model or a 24/7 Pro.
    I cant speak for the PT1911 from Taurus. By all acounts on the net, it too is a steal for the money. I was able to get to the range tonight and threw another 200 rounds of WWB 230 grain through the Taurus. Still flawless !!

The Surefire X200 fits nicely on the 1913 Picatinny rail. Given that this gun so far has not hiccuped, it certainly is not only a "GOOD LOOKING" weapon with the Surefire handing off the end, it's proving to be 100% reliable. It may early in the making, but I'd say that I'd take this gun anyday over a standard out of box Glock !! This the first "TWO TONE" firearm that I have owned, and I must say that I like the look of the firearm as much as a liked the price and the current reliablility. Matter of a fact, it's sitting right here in front of me with the Surefire X200 on it !!

My son is only 14, but I may purchase the PT1911 to break him in on fireing larger caliber auto pistols. What's the worst than can happen? He doesn't like it, and I get to keep yet another 1911 in my collection He's ready to start firing larger calibers, after spending the last two years with a Walther P22. Might as well get a .45 ACP into his hands !
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

What the old timers are up in the air about is they have paid a grand or two for their 1911/.45 and you got one cheap. I heard the frist ones out are going through their custom shop. They are trying to make them work good. I just hope when they get them on line they stay that way. Their service department is bad, and that's a fact.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Have had my PT 24/7 PRO 45ACP for over a year now and it has been flawless. My only complaint is that there is not a aftermarket sight for it. I keep e-mailing Millett in hopes of pursuading them to make one. I am getting used to the combat sight picture " W " though.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I like the 24/7 a lot, but I found this thread:

http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53

I won't consider purchasing one until I know this problem is solved.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Wow, I am going to look at mine now, thanks for the link. I have about 400 rounds through mine and not a glich. But I will be keeping a close watch, I think a trip to the rang this weekend is in order.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

I have seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I like the 24/7 a lot, but I found this thread:

http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53

I won't consider purchasing one until I know this problem is solved.
    I have seen this particular sight before. I have not this problem with 350 rounds thus far, but racking the slide to simply unload a mag is a different story. Most rounds bet cought on the lip of the ejection during manual racking. My 1911's were like this also, however they did not prove to problematic with firing the weapon.

Another couple of hundred rounds should prove rather mine is still flawless or not. I'll be sure to let anyone know if performance of the PT 24/7 PRO becomes a lemon. Thus far it's not, I'll cross my fingers since I do have a new affection for the firearm.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I just looked at the magazine follower on both my magazines and they stop way above the the front lip of the magazine. I red a lot of the posts on the thread that medic put up and they all seem to stem from the mags. Before you buy any pro I would look at the mags that come with it.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Taurus PT24/7 4" barrel

I recently bought a new 24/7 Pro .45ACP with the 4" barrel. I caught it on sale (10% off) and ended up paying right at $400 with ammo. I have had no problems with the weapon, myself. But, it seems that three of the other five people who have used it have trouble with jamming.

I have figured out their problem, with surprising ease- they do not insert the magazine properly. That is the only problem I have found with the 24/7. Other than that, it has been a dream. I have only put 150 rounds through it so far (.45s are NOT inexpensive target rounds) but there are no real complaints. The 4" barrel is easy to conceal, and so far, beautifully accurate at any reasonable range.

My only difficulty is getting the 12+1 capacity. I can get 10+1, or I can get 12. But NOT 12+1. I can insert the 12 round magazine with the slide open and a full 12 rounds, or with one in the chamber and 11 rounds in the magazine. But not 12 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links