Help a newbie sort out his CC equipment & plan!

This is a discussion on Help a newbie sort out his CC equipment & plan! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to defensive carry, and I think I'm ready to take the big step. I have a handgun permit. I need some advice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help a newbie sort out his CC equipment & plan!

Hello, I'm new to defensive carry, and I think I'm ready to take the big step. I have a handgun permit. I need some advice on the sort of equipment that will best fit my needs! You'll see that I have a number of questions, and I'm appealing to the collective experience and knowledge of this forum for assistance.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment. I am considering carrying a pocket gun. Here's why:

1. My office does not allow guns, and this is a given I'll need to work with. (Please don't suggest ignoring this rule.) So if I want to carry during the commute, I'll need to leave the gun in the car in the parking lot. It's hard for me to imagine undoing my pants, strapping on an IWB holster, and putting in a compact or full size pistol every time I arrive at or leave my office. So this suggests a pocket gun.

2. We wear at least a jacket, if not a suit & tie, at work. In winter, typically we wear long coats. Even if I am allowed to carry a big gun in an IWB, it's hard for me to imagine how I'll get it out on the street. ("Hold on there, Mr. Mugger. Let me button my coat and fumble around with all this heavy fabric so I can pull out my intimidating government 1911 in .45 ACP.") It seems that a pocket pistol in the outside pocket or in the chest pocket would mean faster access.

Is there a way to carry a bigger gun, given the restrictions of my office and my work attire? I really would prefer something bigger than a pocket gun. Here are the reasons against carrying a pocket gun:

1. I have a Ruger LC9. I hate it. I especially hate the long trigger that breaks so close to the grip that the gun shifts in my hand. I shoot poorly with it, even though I have decent accuracy with my full size 1911. So when I've carried, I opted to carry the 1911 instead. I have no confidence in my ability with the LC9. This makes me wonder whether I'll be a similarly shooter with other pocket pistols. Right now I think it's mostly the LC9 trigger. But I'm sure I shoot better with a bigger gun.

2. Obviously, a pocket gun is in a weaker caliber, and a shorter barrel doesn't help. This is kind of like my first objection: it doesn't help to carry a defensive tool that is insufficient, whether because I can't use it well, or because it's just a weak tool. It really would be nicer to have a bigger gun with more powerful rounds, and just more rounds in the magazine.

If a pocket gun is the compromise I must make, I'm leaning towards the Sig P238 in .380. I'm primarily a 1911 shooter, and I like P238's similarity to the 1911. It seems small enough to pocket, whereas the LC9, for me, is too big to pocket, and outside of the pocket it's too small compared to compact guns. I'd like to either move down or move up in size from the LC9. The Sig P238 also seems big enough of a mouse gun so I can actually have a hold of the mouse. I thought about the even tinier NAA and MPA guns, but they look too small for shooting comfort.

If I can manage to carry a compact gun, I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P 9c. But then here's something else I'm wondering about. Guns like the 9c, the Glock 26, or the Springfield XD subcompact, all have short barrels -- not much longer than the LC9. LC9's barrel length is 3.12". Glock 26's barrel length is 3.43". That 0.31" difference probably won't translate to greater muzzle velocity, greater impact energy, reliable expansion of the JHP and all that good stuff. So basically with a compact gun, I'm just looking at a more comfortably shooting gun with more rounds, compared to the LC9 I already have?

I guess on a non-workday, I can carry my full size 1911, though I'm not sure how to CC this successfully. without a butt-length jacket to conceal the pointy bits poking out from underneath the shirt/pants. And, again, I'm not sure how to carry a big gun in winter when I'm wearing a big coat. If there is a good thread on conceal carrying the 1911, please do share.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of people carry a full size 1911 (but I don't) so I think that you'll get help there.

I personally carry a snub nose .357 in my pocket. If I am wearing a big jacket (which isn't often in Lower Alabama) I carry in my coat pocket
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you are going to be pocket carrying, a snubby is my suggestion.

Easy in, easy out, and it can shoot right through a jacket pocket if need be without jamming. Autos have to eject and cycle, so they need to be drawn. Autos also won't fire if not in full battery, which can easily happen in a close quarters tussel. A wheel gun, by contrast, can go bang with the barrel pressed against a perp's torso.

As for the full size IWB in and out of the car... I don't find it to be too much of a hassle. Out is not a problem. In is a bit more difficult, though. Especially if you plan to tuck the shirt in.

OH, and I learned from experience that it is best to work out the old public restroom thing before you the need arises.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Mb1911,
    A sub compact Glock or Springfield Sub-Compact Springfield xd would probably suit you pretty good. As far as a pocket gun I carry a kel tec as a backup. It is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun but I would recommend finding a range that rents guns or someone to let you shoot one first before you make the commitment to purchase one. We make a pretty neat pocket holster for the Kel tec, ruger lcp and S&W bodyguard. As far as concealing the full size 1911 check out our ECS-Hybrid holster, you will be surprised how much full size 1911 can be concealed inside the waistband. You can check out the Hybrid HERE

VIP Member
    Since you'll be wearing a coat most of the time to and from work, something like this would work. Easy on and off, you can adjust the cant of your gun, 3 different type hooks to make it work for how you want to carry.

"Cover Up" IWB - Tucker Gun Leather Store

While leaving it in your car, you will want someplace to secure it. I'd recommend something like this.

gun storage.jpg

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

For pocket carry in a jacket a hammerless revolver would be my 1st choice. In the winter time I'll slip my wife's S&W 642 in my jacket pocket if I need to take the dog out in the middle of the night. I can't carry at work either, I carry my Beretta PX4 Storm SC 9mm in between my truck seat. I have 60/40 split seat's and I just shove it in between the split. It work's for me. When I'm able to carry all day it's an all steel Para Black Ops 1911 .45 in a Kelley Gunleather C-flex IWB holster.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

sgb
    Based on your limitations a .38 snubby in a pocket holster sounds like your easiest option.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

+1 on a hammerless snubbie such as S&W 642/442 or Ruger LCR. The .38 Special is much better for self defense than .380. When I was making these same decisions I found The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob to be very helpful. Cheers.

Two good options for pocket holsters I found reading on this forum:
    DeSantis Super Fly
    Mika's Pocket Holster

I'm not sure about revolvers, or a snubbie in particular. I did all my training with semi-autos (first Glocks, but then I discovered I'm a 1911 man), and I've shot a revolver only once in my life. I've also noticed courses offering instruction on the special demands of using a snubbie, which makes me think there is something I don't know about it. (It also seems that the really short barrel might be a disadvantage.) So I'm reluctant to carry a weapon that I'm not so confident with -- at least until I get some training with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    +1 on a hammerless snubbie such as S&W 642/442 or Ruger LCR. The .38 Special is much better for self defense than .380. When I was making these same decisions I found The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob to be very helpful. Cheers.
    Hey, I was just reading it!
    gasmitty likes this.

If your looking for a 9mm hold out fot the Sig P938. It is just a little bit larger than the P238.

And a light trigger pull in SA.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I guess I'll +3 on the snubby. I pocket carry a Taurus TCP, and while I like the little booger and it has been about flawless for me I REALLY REALLY want a snubby for pocket carry. 38 spl is almost in the 9mm realm of effectiveness and the snubnose is a tried and true weapon thats been around forever, and from all I've read and heard it fits really nice and draws a whole lot better from the pocket (the draw is a big selling poing for me).

BTW, good luck trying to conceal any of those compacts in a pocket and being able to draw quickly. My M&Pc is just way to big for my pockets.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    I'm not sure about revolvers, or a snubbie in particular. I did all my training with semi-autos (first Glocks, but then I discovered I'm a 1911 man), and I've shot a revolver only once in my life. I've also noticed courses offering instruction on the special demands of using a snubbie, which makes me think there is something I don't know about it. (It also seems that the really short barrel might be a disadvantage.) So I'm reluctant to carry a weapon that I'm not so confident with -- at least until I get some training with it.
    If you are not comfortable with revovlers then a snubbie is not for you. Although I would suggest that you get familiar with them.

I have IWB holsters that snap on and off with easy no taking my pants off. So this shouldn't be an issue and if you have a lock box in the car you'll have no worries.

Winter carry is better left to members who dela with temps below freezing regulary
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links