Can't decide between the PM9 and P380...

This is a discussion on Can't decide between the PM9 and P380... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't make up my mind on which gun to purchase first. I need/want deep concealment ability, but will be carrying IWB as much as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can't decide between the PM9 and P380...

I can't make up my mind on which gun to purchase first. I need/want deep concealment ability, but will be carrying IWB as much as pocket. I really like the PM9 but fear it may be a little large and heavy for consistent pocket carry. Whichever I choose, I'll likely purchase the other in a year or so... Any advice on which way to go for my first dedicated CCW would be appreciated. I currently own an XD40, which I don't plan to carry often once I figure out which Kahr to purchase.

Not the 380....... this is the "minimum" for self defense and I wouldn't want to take my chances with this. My .02

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    zonker1986 likes this.

Start with the P380. With it, you can at least have something on you all the time. After you add the PM9, you have the P380 for when you just don't have room for the slightly larger PM9.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Certainly a concern I share, I just wonder if I'll end up not carrying in certain situations where I can't conceal the PM9... Tough decision, wish I could buy both right now!

In short: If it were me, I'd do the PM9, a proper custom holster, and appropriate clothing choices.

I've carried the Kahr PM9 and the P380. Went through multiples of each. The P380 is quite a bit less bulky around the slide, and certainly it's thinner and smaller overall. If you're going to go with either, strongly consider evaluating the pinky extension for the magazine. IMO, it makes all the difference in controlling the little guns under fire, particularly if you're going to use hotter ammo choices (ie, the Winchester Ranger T, DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, CorBon and the like).

The PM9 can be a good choice, so long as the holstered gun is going to fit decently into your pockets on your selected pants, and so long as you'll be able to easily grab/draw the gun if needed.

As for 9mm vs 380, that depends on what you're comfortable with. My first purchase out of the two was the PM9, and I quickly switched to the pinkie-extension floor plates on the magazines. IMO, the most important factor between the two is going to be reliability, whichever you find you can get running sufficiently well to bet your life on. I'd suggest acquiring one and then running it through its paces. Once you've blessed it as ready for carry (reliability-wise), then get a decent holster made and evaluate it with your clothing choices.

The holster design can make a decently noticeable difference in comfort and ability to conceal. I've had holsters from K&D, Fist, Kramer. I tend to like the Fist options, since you can specify features you want or don't want, so long as they can achieve it on the holster (for a modest up-charge for the feature change that's different than 'standard').

Your clothing selection will also dictate what "concealable" means, given how tight/loose the pants pocket area is, how it moves when you walk or sit. Not all "square" holster shapes, for example will work well in a pocket (at least so far as I've found), given how a more-curved holster that's molded to the shape of your leg at that spot can print much less. Depends on the holster maker's design, the thickness of leather used, how the holster's edges are curved into the leg's shape, the thickness of your pants material (ie, khaki/cargo canvas, dungarees, thinner business-type slacks, all of which will have a different 'printability' factor with the same holster/gun combo. With any holster built to your order, I would ask some of these questions prior to purchase, to be sure you're getting a holster made with those factors in mind. While not everyone will agree, I have found it makes a difference.

As for the pocket/size/shape, keep in mind that you can generally have these customized to accommodate a pocket-holstered gun. Of course, the pocket opening will need to accommodate it, but the pocket material inside the pants can generally be reinstalled with a shape that keeps the gun at the proper angle, allows the gun to ride deep enough in the pocket to avoid peeking out and being seen, etc. It'll depend on the specific pants, as to whether this is even necessary. Something to keep in mind, though.

Good luck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the help, I will definitely invest in the pinky extension. I haven't really put much thought into the adaptability of pockets as I haven't carried yet, but it sounds like I can customize to my individual needs.

I'd be comfortable with either the 9mm or .380 as it is better than what I currently carry, nothing... All things equal I'd opt for the PM9. I'll have to go handle it some more and see how I can make it work.

Thanks again.

If your going to primary IWB and occasionally pocket carry then I say go with the PM/CM9. If your going to primary pocket carry and occasional IWB carry then start with a Kel Tec p3at or ruger LCP. They are both smaller and lighter than the p380.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    Start with the P380. With it, you can at least have something on you all the time. After you add the PM9, you have the P380 for when you just don't have room for the slightly larger PM9.
    This was my initial thought process... Just need to make a decision!

i was extremely interested in the p380 when it first came out since i had very good luck with my cw9 but after doing some research found the p380 had its share of problems..not sure if the issues have been fixed or not but i'd go with the pm9 and maybe look into the lcp down the road..

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If your going to primary IWB and occasionally pocket carry then I say go with the PM/CM9. If your going to primary pocket carry and occasional IWB carry then start with a Kel Tec p3at or ruger LCP. They are both smaller and lighter than the p380.
    I like the LCP a lot, but am in CA and am not sure how the SSE thing works... And they are both much cheaper than the Kahr I've noticed.

If you're open to other choices, another tiny option might be the newly-introduced Boberg XR9-S 9mm. Being a new kid on the block, it's likely going to experience some teething pains the first year or so, but it's 9mm and a great size.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i was extremely interested in the p380 when it first came out since i had very good luck with my cw9 but after doing some research found the p380 had its share of problems..not sure if the issues have been fixed or not but i'd go with the pm9 and maybe look into the lcp down the road..
    The many reports of problems certainly make me reluctant to spend so much on the P380. The PM9 seems to be more reliable out of the box.

If you get the 380, it will just be a matter of time when you say you should have gotten the 9. The ammo is more expensive for the 380 than the 9mm and less common, so it just seems wrong to be paying more $$ for less, IMO. The PM9 is very small and easily concealed, and the recoil is manageable. If the only thing you are looking to gain (or lose) is size, you will not be gaining much with the 380. But go with what you are comfortable with. It's not like you can't trade or sell it later for something else.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you're open to other choices, another tiny option might be the newly-introduced Boberg XR9-S 9mm. Being a new kid on the block, it's likely going to experience some teething pains the first year or so, but it's 9mm and a great size.
    I've seen it online, not sure if its CA legal, couldn't find it on the list in a quick search. I'm leaning towards the PM9, but will compare both again tomorrow.

I own the PM9 and P380. I don't consider the PM9 to be a comfortable pocket carry, which is why I bought the P380.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links