how are the S&W Shields doing?

This is a discussion on how are the S&W Shields doing? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like many people on this forum were interested in the S&W Shield.... was wondering now that it has been out a few months, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: how are the S&W Shields doing?

It seems like many people on this forum were interested in the S&W Shield.... was wondering now that it has been out a few months, what sort of experiences have people had? thanks. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I love mine! No mechanical issues. Eats whatever I feed it. Comfortable to carry and very easy to conceal.

www.getcorded.com

cj
    The two complaints I've seen about performance (besides all the complaints about the safety...either that it has one, or that it is right-handed only) are:

When loaded, if pushed out of battery, it's possible for some to stay out of battery. After testing this on the range, I discovered that yes, mine stays out of battery, but when pressure is applied to the trigger, the slide fully returns to battery and it shoots as expected. I'll wait for any official 'fix' before bothering to send mine in.

Other issue I hear about in the .40 is that some people have experience magazines dropping while firing. I haven't been watching this as closely as I have a 9.

Still haven't gotten as many rounds through mine as I'd like (probably only 50 or so, as I've had other guns to get up and running), but so far no problems with it.

Well, I have 1250 rounds thru my first one. And, the gun sucks so much that after 2 months of major searching, I FINALLY managed to buy a 2nd one this past weekend

Seriously - I have owned a lot of subcompacts over the years - this is by far my favorite, and its even smaller than many of the others I have had. I do not feel like I am at a disadvantage over my normal carry gun - a fullsize Beretta 92. I shoot the Shield very well out to 15 yards (the maximum distance at my indoor range). 1 handed doubletaps are fine. Lower recoil than the Kahr PM9 I previously had. Very accurate.

I cannot say enough good things about it - and this is from a guy who has hated regular M&Ps. I hate the factory trigger on an M&P. But, the trigger on the Shield is different from the rest of the M&P series...

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post

When loaded, if pushed out of battery, it's possible for some to stay out of battery. After testing this on the range, I discovered that yes, mine stays out of battery, but when pressure is applied to the trigger, the slide fully returns to battery and it shoots as expected. I'll wait for any official 'fix' before bothering to send mine in.
    I've gone on long tangents about this "issue" on other forums, and I won't do that here. But, I have had many, many handguns over the years that do this. Many of them do, and have for years. This was never an "issue" until the Shield came out and one guy posted about it and then it took off.

On many semi autos, if I manually push the slide back a teeny, tiny bit - quite often the recoil spring doesn't have the "oomph" to push the slide back closed. You have to push it shut by hand. Not every semi auto does this, but many do. Only time this has ever been an issue is when I am breaking in a new, tight leather holster. And, everyone knows to keep your thumb on the back of the slide while holstering in this case.

This is not a "problem" as far as I am concerned. The post that started this whole thing was someone new to guns with a new pocket holster that was probably either too tight or not broken in yet. I've pocket carried my 1st one for over 2 months now and never had this happen in actual usage of the gun (only MAKING it occur by hand)

If I'd heard of it when I bought my G23 in March I would've given it some serious consideration. The regular M&P was too expensive and I didn't like the features of the SD line so I didn't buy American.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Mine's doing just fine. It is easier to carry under an untucked shirt than the Glock 26. That 1/4" thinner makes a noticable difference in both comfort and concealment. The Glock feels like a 2x4 in my kidney in the SuperTuck sitting in the car, the Shield doesn't. I'll go back to the Glock as soon as sweatshirt weather returns, but for now, the Shield is getting it done.

If I'd gotten a Shield before I bought the G26, I wouldn't have purchased the G26, but now that I own them both, neither one is going anyplace.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    LOVE mine... it's by far my favorite concealed carry firearm, and I've tried quite a few!

Great shooter.
    Solid capacity.
    Reliable.
    Shoots everything I feed it.
    Easy to carry.
    Comfortable to carry.

I'm a lefty, so my only gripe is the lack of an ambidextrous safety like my M&P 9C.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I love my Shield. No malfunctions whatsoever. I have the M&P9c also and the thinner Shield is even more of a joy to carry. I am not a big fan of manual safeties, but it's not an issue with the Shield. You would have to be trying pretty hard to engage that safety accidentally.

Bought one for the wife in May. She has been pleased with performance and the way it carries for her. The dual recoil spring does make racking the slide a little difficult for her though. I am looking for one in 40 S&W for me.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Distinguished Member
    My wife loves hers. She previously had not wanted to go practice when she had a Kel-Tec PF9 and then a S&W Sigma 9F. But now she loves to go and she's getting good with it too. We went out last Saturday and set up some clays and she was taking them out quite well.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    LOVE mine... it's by far my favorite concealed carry firearm, and I've tried quite a few!

Great shooter.
    Solid capacity.
    Reliable.
    Shoots everything I feed it.
    Easy to carry.
    Comfortable to carry...
    ^^^ What he said!!! (I'm not a lefty, so that part didn't count).

While it's not the absolute smallest 9mm out there, I think S&W has come up with just about the perfect CC pistol. The ergonomics are second to none in the subcompact class. I might still reach for my CM9 if size was the determining factor, but the Shield is perfect for 90+% of the time.

Regards,
    Jim

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    I just sold my Glock 27. I'm looking at the Shield and the Walther PPS. Thoughts?

Been looking at the Shield for a 9mm pocket carry.
    Shipwreck - you noted PCing the Shield and apparently like it. Anyone else doing Shield pocket carry?

Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    I just sold my Glock 27. I'm looking at the Shield and the Walther PPS. Thoughts?
    the trigger on the PPS is garbage compared to the shield

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
    Been looking at the Shield for a 9mm pocket carry.
    Shipwreck - you noted PCing the Shield and apparently like it. Anyone else doing Shield pocket carry?
    you are not going to pocket carry this gun. it is ever so slightly too big for doing that realistically

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links