I fell in love at the gun shop

This is a discussion on I fell in love at the gun shop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to decide which .45 pistol to get as my new carry gun. I currently carry either ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I fell in love at the gun shop

I fell in love at the gun shop

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to decide which .45 pistol to get as my new carry gun. I currently carry either a G23 or a Colt SAA (yes really) and there is not a thing wrong with either but I've always loved the .45 acp cartridge and mainly,I just wanted one.

I had narrowed the to a Glock 30 or 36, Springer compact or XDs or a S&W compact and I had gone back and forth between all of them. I had to go into town to load up at the feed store today and decided as long as I was in the neighborhood I'd drop by the gun shop. While I was there I asked to see the Glock 30 & 36,Springer's and a S&W compact.

After coon fingering all of them I decided that none of them fit my hand just right and the compact models were all too short for me which was a let down because I was just about positive that's the type I was gonna' get. Then the owner handed me a S&W M&P mid size .45 with the 4 inch barrel and standard (I think) size grip.

That thing fit my hand like it was built just for me! It's not going to be any harder to conceal than my G23 but my gosh the difference in the way it fits would be worth it even if it was and besides the Smith is Made in the USA which is a huge plus to me. The downside was that the one he showed me was already spoken for So I've got to wait until the one he ordered for me gets here.

Oh well, that just gives me something to look forward to I guess.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats.

I sometimes carry a G30 (and have no complaints), but have always had amorous feelings toward the M&P lineup. 'Hope you enjoy it - let us know.

Happy you found what you wanted! The wait will be worth it, enjoy.
    SmokeEater2 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Congrats.

I sometimes carry a G30 (and have no complaints), but have always had amorous feelings toward the M&P lineup. 'Hope you enjoy it - let us know.
    Read that as 'armorous' rather than 'amorous'... I guess both work.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

sgb
    S&W M&P 45 (Mid-Frame)

Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 10 Rounds
    Action: Striker Fire Action
    Barrel Length: 4”
    Front Sight: Steel Ramp Dovetail
    Rear Sight: Steel Lo-Mount Carry
    Overall Length: 7-1/2”
    Weight: 27.7 oz. (Empty Mag: 3.0 oz., Full Mag: Appx.10 oz.)
    Grip: (3) Interchangeable Palmswell Grip Sizes
    Frame Material: Polymer
    Slide Material: Stainless Steel
    Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
    Finish: Black Melonite®, 68 HRc

M&P 45 mid-frame v Glock 19

109306a.jpg

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7068&filename=G19_M&P45mid.jpg

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%u002520on%20M&P45mid.jpg
    SmokeEater2 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    May I ask what "Coon Fingering is?" That just not an expression I have ever heard up here in the north.
    multistage likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    May I ask what "Coon Fingering is?" That just not an expression I have ever heard up here in the north.
    Fondling, playing with etc..
    SmokeEater2 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Yeah, I suppose not. I guess I type like I talk sometimes.

Well, you ever see a coon (maybe Raccoon up north?) digging around in the water? They pick up whatever they come across and roll it around in their front paws while deciding if it's something they want to eat. The expression "coon fingering" comes from that, Handling something a lot and trying to decide if you want it or not.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post

Well, you ever see a coon (maybe Raccoon up north?) digging around in the water? They pick up whatever they come across and roll it around in their front paws while deciding if it's something they want to eat. The expression "coon fingering" comes from that, Handling something a lot and trying to decide if you want it or not.
    Exactly sir, better description than mine. It deals with Raccoons, has nothing to do with race, as some people try to make folks believe.
    Remy and SmokeEater2 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Glad you found one you like, and were also smart enough to realize what you thought you wanted wasnt what you really want/need. Coon fingering...sounds like there would be a lot of scratches after that!
    SmokeEater2 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post

Makes total sense now that you say it. They have very agile fingers.
    SmokeEater2 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

you really need to get out more
    OldVet likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    you really need to get out more
    As soon as I read it I was going to ask the same exact question. Then I saw some one else was as confused as I was. Only difference is I was going to say "I'm almost afraid to ask... But could someone please explain what <GULP> coon fingering...is?"
    WHEC724 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I know what you mean. I went into my LGS and saw a S&W E Series 1911TA. I went back the next day and bought the sucker at $1,035.00, which is a fair price but still over a grand just for falling in love with a handgun. Heck, I fell in love with many women that I didn't spend that much on.
    SmokeEater2 likes this.

I'll try to refrain from using any more local expressions, Just need to proof read my posts before I hit the reply button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links