XDs issue already...

XDs issue already...

This is a discussion on XDs issue already... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys I went to the range today with my brother who has expirience shooting rifles but not much with handguns. I let his shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: XDs issue already...

XDs issue already...

Well guys I went to the range today with my brother who has expirience shooting rifles but not much with handguns. I let his shoot the XDs. Just about once every 5 rounds he had a light primer strike to where the round wouldn't fire but you could see the strike on the primer when you took it out. And obviously the trigger was pulled and set back all the way as if dry fired. I put 50 rounds through before and 50 after without a single problem and had previously put 100 rounds through with no problems.

Since the problem only happens when he holds it I have a strong feeling its not the gun but him. My thoughts are that maybe as he is pulling the trigger he doesnt have the grip safety held tight enough and somehow re-egages it while pulling the trigger, not allowing the gun to fire. The weird part is that the primer is striking the round every time but not hard enough to fire it. The internals look good along with everything else so Im assuming user error at this point.

Distinguished Member
    Normally, I have found that is caused by "limp-wristing." What happens is that if there isn't enough force to hold the pistol in place when firing, the recoil isn't allowed to push the slide back completely or with enough force to reset the striker fully.

Now, I may be wrong about that, but tightening up her grip sure made significant changes in that for my wife. (this was with an older Sigma 9F)
    USM1976 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Normally, I have found that is caused by "limp-wristing." What happens is that if there isn't enough force to hold the pistol in place when firing, the recoil isn't allowed to push the slide back completely or with enough force to reset the striker fully.

Now, I may be wrong about that, but tightening up her grip sure made significant changes in that for my wife. (this was with an older Sigma 9F)
    Ah! Ok that's what I figured. And so I asked the guys in the store if limp wristing would cause that and they told me that it shouldn't. I know I dont do it but it appeared my brother was as the gun was shaking everytime it was fired. I would have assumed a jam to occur too if that were the case but your theory seems to make sense.

I just suffered a similar problem with a Rental EMP (compact 9mm 1911).

In my case, I can assure you it was not from limp wristing. 1) I don't limp wrist guns (this I know for certain because I had my wife take a video so I could see just how much muzzle rise there was between two different pistols of the same caliber...), and 2) I had it happen multiple times on the first shot.

Of course we are comparing a striker fired gun (I think the XDS is striker fired, at least), and a traditional 1911 hammer.

I don't know what the problem was with the EMP. I was disappointed that the range wrangler put the EMP back in the rental case after I explained the problem and showed him the tiny dings on the primer.

Interesting thing, was that the spent rounds all had a healthy dent from the firing pin, so the gun was operating inconsistently. (As opposed to hitting light every time but having half of the ammo go off anyway).
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Hmmm. I just find it really odd that I couldnt get the issue to occur with me but every time my brother put a magazine in, it would happen for him

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    I just suffered a similar problem with a Rental EMP (compact 9mm 1911).

In my case, I can assure you it was not from limp wristing. 1) I don't limp wrist guns (this I know for certain because I had my wife take a video so I could see just how much muzzle rise there was between two different pistols of the same caliber...), and 2) I had it happen multiple times on the first shot.

Of course we are comparing a striker fired gun (I think the XDS is striker fired, at least), and a traditional 1911 hammer.

I don't know what the problem was with the EMP. I was disappointed that the range wrangler put the EMP back in the rental case after I explained the problem and showed him the tiny dings on the primer.

Interesting thing, was that the spent rounds all had a healthy dent from the firing pin, so the gun was operating inconsistently. (As opposed to hitting light every time but having half of the ammo go off anyway).
    Your situation may mean that the pistol has a firing pin issue (dirty inside so not able to return to its fully set position, or something else). I know that in my wife's case, we sent it back to S&W for service and they checked it over and returned it as within specs and it still did light strikes for my wife. It didn't do any for me. Watching her it was fairly apparent that she was not holding it so that it wouldn't rise to an almost 60 or 70 degree angle upwards.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    Hmmm. I just find it really odd that I couldnt get the issue to occur with me but every time my brother put a magazine in, it would happen for him
    Matches up exactly with my experience with my wife and the Sigma.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

ok. Im going to break down the firing pin block and see if there is gunk up in there just in case as the gun was heavily oiled when purchased. Hopefully its just a user issue

The XD is really a single action gun. The striker is fully cocked by cycling the slide. Pulling the trigger does nothing but release the striker.

That said, the striker is either cocked, or it is not. I do not think there is a way to have it "partially cocked." Unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun.

Was he firing the same ammo as you? Maybe hard primers? weird...

Hope you get it figured out. I've learned the hard way to avoid brand new guns when they first come out. Bugs. Always bugs...
    farronwolf and JerryMac like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The XD is really a single action gun. The striker is fully cocked by cycling the slide. Pulling the trigger does nothing but release the striker.

That said, the striker is either cocked, or it is not. I do not think there is a way to have it "partially cocked." Unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun.

Was he firing the same ammo as you? Maybe hard primers? weird...

Hope you get it figured out. I've learned the hard way to avoid brand new guns when they first come out. Bugs. Always bugs...
    Same ammo. Broke down the firing pin block and it had a bunch of oil and gunk up in there. Cleaned it all out but still think its weird that the problem wouldnt occur with me

Just got my XDS today and took it to the range. Out of 100 rounds, 8 had light strikes. All 8 rounds had an indention on the primer but the gun did not go off. I have been shooting handguns for 15 years and have never experienced this. I would like to think it is something I am doing wrong but I can figure out what it is. I tried two different types of ammo and both types had the problem. Has anyone spoke with Springfield about this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by zombieslayer View Post
    Just got my XDS today and took it to the range. Out of 100 rounds, 8 had light strikes. All 8 rounds had an indention on the primer but the gun did not go off. I have been shooting handguns for 15 years and have never experienced this. I would like to think it is something I am doing wrong but I can figure out what it is. I tried two different types of ammo and both types had the problem. Has anyone spoke with Springfield about this problem?
    No I didnt call them but I will be going back to the range friday most likely and throw 100 rounds down and see if I can recreate the problem. Im not sure about you but when I got the gun, the first thing that struck me was how much oil was on it, there was even oil coming out of the extractor channel. I didnt think much of it but I took out the firing pin and it was pretty bad in the firing pin channel.

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    No I didnt call them but I will be going back to the range friday most likely and throw 100 rounds down and see if I can recreate the problem. Im not sure about you but when I got the gun, the first thing that struck me was how much oil was on it, there was even oil coming out of the extractor channel. I didnt think much of it but I took out the firing pin and it was pretty bad in the firing pin channel.

I did notice a lot of oil everywhere. I took it apart when I got home and cleaned everything up. I plan to head back to the range next week and shoot 100 more and see what happens. If the problem still persists I am going to call Springfield. Whatever ends up happening I will post on this thread.

Yeah it was oddly over oiled for me, even more strange for the firing pin channel to be oiled. I thought the shop I got it from did it.

I will post a report also.

hope it works out for you, i can't wrap my head around the actual issue is except maybe a out of spec striker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links