Recommendation for upstate NY

This is a discussion on Recommendation for upstate NY within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to help a friend of a friend of a friend: Extremely short version here: A friend of mine is looking to acquire a concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommendation for upstate NY

Trying to help a friend of a friend of a friend:

Extremely short version here: A friend of mine is looking to acquire a concealed carry weapon for protection against the suddenly psychotic soon-to-be-ex-husband who recently tried to murder her. She's asked my recommendation on something small, suitable for her purse or a pocket. Cost is also an issue, as she's got a lot of expenses on her plate right now.

After a swift look around, my preliminary thought is to suggest a Ruger LCP in .380. It's compact, light, an adequate caliber, and can be had for $300. I'd looked at the Kel Tec PF9, but I was put off by some of the reviews suggesting that it needed a lot of breaking in and preliminary maintenance. My friend isn't in the position to do regular range runs, and the thing HAS to work, because if she needs it it's probably because her ex is trying again to kill her. I'm also reluctant to suggest anything more powerful than a 380. She's not entirely inexperienced with guns, but she's not a very large woman.

Any thoughts?

any references to instructors or shops that will steer her right?
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I think she should move.

If that's not an option, the Bersa Thunder .380 is a good shooter and is reliable.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Is she in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area? If so, PM me, I can recommend instructor & shop. I own an LCP & am very happy with it...

Rochester personal defense is probably the best carry class around, and they have classes for beginners as well as advanced shooters. They used to be a sponser here, and i have presonally taken their CCW class here in Broome County. They teach all over the state. Make sure she is legal to carry, as most counties in upstate NY will not allow carry permits, such as Onondaga. Its up to the county judge to make the decision whether or not citizens are able to protect themselves or not. As far as guns go, have her carry whatever she feels she can shoot accurately, and make sure she plans on using it if she ever brings it out... if she is unsure of herself, the gun may be turned on her. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I have to 2nd the Bersa Thunder. Most women who have shot my LCP don't like it because it's so small and light = harsh recoil. The extra size and weight of the Bersa may serve her better, and the cost is about the same as the LCP.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

I've been shopping for a .380 or a small 9mm. I agree that something more shootable, like the Bersa, would probably work better.

But if you're considering Bersa, you might as well consider the baby Glock (~$500+) or the Springfield XD subcompact (~$475), which are roughly the same size. They shoot a more powerful round, too. They are somewhat more expensive. The Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Carry (~$400) is a possibility, but it's bigger, and the decocker may make it harder to operate.

I am assuming your friend has pursued all the usual legal recourses (a restraining order, making the police aware she has some sort of stalker, she might be in grave danger, and so on). I'm also assuming she understands something about self defense law, and she knows that if she shoots someone, she might end up putting her attorney's kids through college.

The lady in question is in the Rochester area. Thanks all, I have passed your info to the person in direct contact. I also recommended Cornered Cat to them.

Please, any other suggestions anyone has I will be happy to send.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

The Bersa Thunde 380 is not the same size as a Glock 26 or XDsc. The Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is closer in size to those.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My daughter lives in Rochester and has her CCW there, so do my Sister, Niece, and brother in law. You don't need a class to get a CCW in the Rochester area. But it does take about six months to get it approved.

Recommend she goes to the sherrifs office with the completed application and a copy of the police report from when the ex tried to harm her and ask for expidited approval. The LCP and P3AT are good reliable easy to conceal guns. For winter time, an LCR, 642, or similar that can be fired from inside a coat pocket is better.

Don't worry about a big formal class. Get the permit, get the gun, get someone to sit down with her and give her a manual of arms orientation. Time is of the essence. In the mean time she needs to go get herself a Mossberg 20ga to have at home. She doesn't need anything but the money to pay for it and it will protect her better at home than a handgun if she keeps it loaded and accessible. That's what my daughter did while she was waiting for her permit to be approved.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    I'll also recommend the Bersa .380, although not the smallest or lightest out there, it is reliable.

Does NY have the provisions for an emergency carry permit. If her ex's violence against her is documented she may be able to get one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm going to get my daughter something like the Bersa Thunder .380 once she gets her CCP. But whatever she gets, she needs to get it and get trained soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    In the mean time she needs to go get herself a Mossberg 20ga to have at home. She doesn't need anything but the money to pay for it and it will protect her better at home than a handgun if she keeps it loaded and accessible. Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Does NY have the provisions for an emergency carry permit. If her ex's violence against her is documented she may be able to get one.
    Here in NY it take s6 months almost to the date. No reason other than the papers sitting on a desk . +1 for the shotty. Maybe if she explains the situtation they may be able to push thing thru faster.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

It simply going to come down to how much she is willing to train. If she plans on putting in the time then any mid sized 9mm will do. If she plans on minimal training you cant beat a revolver such as the Ruger SP101 with 38 special or 38+P rounds for purse carry.
    Took me and my wife 9 months of wait here in Rochester for the permit but that was several years ago.

i'd suggest the Ruger lcr in .38 caliber for its ease of use,reliability,and the option of.38+p ammo..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I recommend Florida; after all, that's where all the NY'ers end up anyhow. Then she can carry whatever she likes without all that NY BS.
    merlin82plus likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links