Revolver vs Semi automatic

This is a discussion on Revolver vs Semi automatic within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [i] Just an example Win value pack 9mm 100/$9.95 45acp 100/$19.95 I prefer 45acp myself. Sorry to detour this thread.... WHERE are you getting Winchester ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver vs Semi automatic

[i] Just an example Win value pack 9mm 100/$9.95 45acp 100/$19.95
    I prefer 45acp myself.
    Sorry to detour this thread....

WHERE are you getting Winchester ammo at those prices? I was on the verge of getting 9mm/1000 for $120; .45/50 for $13.00

lemme know here, or email. guninfo@thgworks.com

2. Remove Ads

Winchester white box value pack, These are 115gr/230gr FMJ the JHP are appx 24.95/100. Get mine at Walmart,

All I can add is, what Betty said..:)

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Betty hit it right on.

As some others have already said, it is really just a matter of preference. Although I theoretically prefer an autoloader with hi-cap mag, I have found a S&W J frame Airweight to be the one I\'m most likely to drop in a pocket. Although I\'m sure there is a lot of validity to the statement about, a gun should be comforting, not comfortable, I still think the gun on your person is better than the one you leave at home because it can\'t be conveniently/discreetly carried in virtually any setting. If it came down to having to use a gun I would prefer a fast autoloader in 9mm or larger with a couple of quick reloads, but still find the J-Frame a good compromise in power/size when compared to a autoloading mouse gun, or the larger heavier gun I\'ve left at home.

Originally posted by Rem700
    Winchester white box value pack, These are 115gr/230gr FMJ the JHP are appx 24.95/100. Get mine at Walmart,
    White box wal mart ammo in the 230 gr. variety is 19.95 here in central Texas. It comes out to about $44 after tax for 200 rounds here, thats what my last receipt says.

WWB 230gr .45 sells for $17.96/100rds here in Vegas.

~A

I can\'t recommend one over the other as I carry both depending on what I am going to wear that day. I carry on a regular basis the following:

FN Five-seveN 5.7x28
    3\" Kimber Ultra Carry 45 ACP
    2 1/2\" S&W 386PD .357 magnum
    2\" S&W 360PD .357 magnum

Weather and what I will be doing that day dictates what clothing I need to wear. As soon as I know that, I can choose the gun easiest to conceal.

Just my .02
    MadDog :kay:

I agree with Mad Dog Dan- I would prefer a full-size autoloader if I were to ever be involved in a high stress situation, but either my S&W 637 or Kel-Tec P3AT seem to be easier and more discreet to conceal on a daily, regular- carry basis than many larger full-size autoloaders. (For my comfort, anyways...) As others prior have said, practice and comfort with the weapon(s) you choose to carry is truly essential,IMHO.

Originally posted by Euclidean
    I like automatics and I think they have their place. I think it\'s important to own at least one and learn how to use it.

My personal experience has been, with my own gun and many others that I\'ve borrowed and shot, that be it a Glock, Kimber, Ruger, Smith, whatever, if it\'s an auto it WILL jam. You may have to fire 100 rounds before it does, but it can and will.

Now I have come to the conclusion that with proper maintenance and preparation, an automatic pistol of any quality will fire at least one entire magazine before it jams. That has been my experience.

I\'ve never ever seen or had a revolver misfire on me. Not once. I\'ve seen automatics jam up more times than I can count. Most of the time it was cleared in two seconds or less, but I do not think I have the gun skills to deal with such a malfunction in a real altercation.

That\'s one of the reasons I still consider myself a revolver person for the defensive situation where it is absolutely 100% vital that thing goes off.

I WANT to trust the auto better because it\'s better in some important ways, but I can\'t bring myself to believe any auto can be as reliable as a revolver at any given price point.

The strange part is, a DA revolver is, in my mind, for all intents and purposes just as mechanically complicated as an automatic when it comes to number of parts.

I haven\'t completely written off the auto... I want a small carry piece in an automatic someday. I really like my P89... but I just don\'t trust it as much as I trust my 686 yet and I possibly never will.
    I carry a semi auto myself but I see your point. If you have a problem with a bad round all you need to do with a wheel gun is pull the trigger again and you have a fresh round. That is why it is important for people that carry autos to practice clearing jams and racking the slide to get a fresh round in case they have a failure to fire.

My Sig 226 has never jammed or experienced a FTF in well over 10k rounds, and my day at the range will run somewhere between 150 and 1500 rounds depending on whether I\'m there for a short visit or a leisurely day of blasting at everything downrange.

My S&W 296 (little .44 special) has been flawless for over 1k rounds.

So in answer to the original question, both. It\'s not a \'or'question.

Then again, most of my semis have been good - or I didn\'t own them long.

I\'ll trust my life with either, but if I have a choice, I bring a rifle.

Both the high-capacity auto and the large-caliber revolver have their place for CCW - depending upon the situation and/or mode of dress.

As for the reliability of semi-autos - I guess I\'ve been rather fortunate on that score. I currently have three of them that have NEVER malfunctioned. I\'m sure that sooner or later one of them will. I expect that in time the revolver will malfunction too. Mechanical things break down and wear out - nothing lasts forever.
    And that\'s why I also carry a BUG.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I carry a 5 shot 38 special S&W J frame revolver. Because it is to hard to shoot a semi auto from inside a pocket. ( slide gets stuck on burning clothes ) :O

VIP Member
    The only thing I see that hasn\'t been covered is this. When a semi-auto has a stoppage, if you have practiced a little you can clear it and get it running again. When a revolver stops, it usually needs tools to get running again. I had one out of time and you had to manually advance the cylinder to get it running. So that one didn\'t need tools. Other ones have though.

My experience is that it is about a wash on either for reliability. Super Trucker has a good point about pocket carry. A revolver should allow multiple shots, where a semi-auto likely becomes a single shot if fired inside the pocket.

-Scott-

It seems like most thoughts have already been covered in this age old debate, but I will share my experience. When I first started to carry, a little over a year ago, I wanted to carry an auto. I got a Sig P229 9mm and a good IWB and a good belt holster and a good belt. I found when I was off work that a loose shirt, vest or jacket was great, but at work I wore Dockers and a tucked in work shirt and it was difficult to conceal. I tried a tuckable type holster (VM-2) and a Galco, but it just did not feel right. I really could not carry my Sig without a wardrobe change and that would raise suspicions at work. Even though it is my business I do not want anyone to know. I still wanted an auto so I picked up a Seecamp .32 because I live in MA and small autos are very limited (no Kahrs, Kel-Tecs etc). I carried it in either a pocket holster or an ankle holster. The concept worked great, but the .32 was just too small, I wanted a little more punch. Finally I said what the hell and picked up an S&W 342 .38 +p, it was perfect. So at first I carried the S&W at work and the Sig the rest of the time, but when I posted on some site or discussed it at a seminar or class I would always say that the Sig was my primary carry because I desperately wanted the auto idea to work, but it didn\'t. Gradually I got tired of switching around and also felt that I would rather stick with one style of gun as my primary carry and to practice and get good with that weapon. I finally moved to full time snubby carry because it works for me based upon my own experience. I did get a 649 Bodyguard in .357 which I switch off with, but the function and feeling is the same. I still shoot autos, as well as, larger revolvers because I love to shoot. However, my carry gun is a snubby, usually in a pocket holster or a belt holster and on rare occasion in an ankle holster for deep concealment or bug. At 25'a can shoot double action rapid fire and keep 5 shots inside a 5.5\" shoot-n-c. I practice to get better, but I feel that I can shoot well enough for personal protection. Last Saturday I was shooting the Bodyguard at 25 yards with .357 Federal Hydra Shoks in single action carefully aimed mode and my best 5 shot group was 3\" (most were more like 5\" - 6\"). Bottom line is I like my snubbies and that is what I practice with. Other guns and methods of carry work better for other individuals, but as a businessman who wants to be discreet and yet be armed the snubby really works for me. I carry an extra speedloader, a Surefire light and pepper spray to complete the picture. Unfortunately the training classes that I have taken all focus on the auto, so one of my goals for 2005 is to find a good combat revolver course or seminar. My final comment is that we can all share our experiences and advice, but at the end of the day I feel that one should experiment and find out what works best based upon personal experience and that may take some time and some money. Extra guns are never a bad thing, but the holster drawer is a real killer. LOL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links