Revolver vs Semi automatic

This is a discussion on Revolver vs Semi automatic within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; since you are new to shooting I would recommend getting a full size revolver or auto. As stated before which ever feels better. Get good ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revolver vs Semi automatic

Lead Moderator
    since you are new to shooting I would recommend getting a full size revolver or auto. As stated before which ever feels better. Get good training and shoot lots. Then look to buy a smaller , lighter carry gun similar or the same as your full size. A short ,light gun may just frustrate ya because they are more difficult to shoot. Also I like to carry a full size when clothing and weather conditions allow.

2. Remove Ads

Hi There
    Betty and the gang have said it all, and rightly so. I've hav over 350 handguns in my time since I was 21 yrs old <LONG time ago BTW> You said your first experience with a handgun was a Glock 40Cal? Although it's a REALLY GOOD and durable weapon, I would say to shy away from it for your first weapon. I would ask you to go to your range where you test fired the Glock, and see if you can rent a few different types. Being you'r looking a first issue weapon, I would probably suggest that you invest in a revolver, preferably in the 357 Mag variety, so that you may practice with 38Spl, and then carry with 357mag ammo. Secondly, if you're stuck on a semi-auto, then I would look into a double action type, either S&W, Beretta, H&K etc. with something you could control the hammer. The Glock, although it's a first quality weapon, has an internal firing pin system, and the "safety" on the Glock is on the trigger system. I know.some of the shooters here will disagree with me to the end, but The Glock, like most semi-autos, is more for the advanced type shooter. Either way, the BEST thing you can do for yourself, is go try as many as you can, and learn more through the message boards and possibly a few Tactical training courses before you considering a major money purchase. I for one carry a H&K p7 9mm squeeze cocker, a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact V10 45, and also an early model S&W 39 that was converted to the ASP design with the Guttersnipe sight system (VERY custom handgun and very expensive) BUT I started out with a Ruger 4 inch Security Six 357 Mag that I would stake my life on, should that arise.

Whatever you choose........practice,practice, practice. Know that gun inside & out.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Moderator
    I was at Gunsite this past summer for their Advanced Tactics course. A discussion came up about revolvers and autos. My instructor was a retired border patrol officer with many years of field experince. He said when they were required to carry revolvers, he used to carry a spare under his jacket even though it was against regulations. The reason? Because if he got into a struggle and wound up on the ground with a BG, the dirt/sand would likely disable his service revolver!

I was pretty surprised that he felt that a quality auto was more reliable and dependable than a revolver. This comes from a man that carried and used both.

I was the only one in the class with a revolver. At the end of the course, a fellow student said that he was impressed with how well and fast I could shoot a revolver but, it just seems too complicated. What prompted his response, was how many things the instructor told me about caring for the revolver to keep it going through the week - and I was shooting a S&W 686 SS revolver.

When we got to one hand malfunction drills, after the instructor explained the autos, he looked at me and said, if you get a case under the ejector star during a reload, I don't know of any fix for it with one hand except to go to a BUG if you have one. He told me about numerous things that can happen to a revolver, especially when you shoot lots of rounds through them between cleanings like we did. And, I did experience many of the very things he warned me about.

One of the things I observed about the experience was that with lots of practice speed loading before I went and a lot of speed loading throughout the week, reloading the revolver under pressure conditions was still iffy.

We didn't have many students in the class so we got to do some extra things. One was the air marshal and marine qualifying drills. The guys with the autos had no problem passing the drill. I came close, but the slow, iffy, reloads caused me a lot of problems. I remember one time where the fresh rounds seemed to jump out of the cylinder before I could close it.

I took a revolver to Gunsite to learn about it and I did. When I got home, I put the revolver in the safe and have carried my Sig 226 ever since. After working with a revolver for a week at Gunsite, I see no reason for me to carry one.
    Last edited by Tangle; February 2nd, 2005 at 06:31 PM.

Lead Moderator
    good replies. I carry autos but it should be what suits ya best. Autos definately need more training and practice to operate at peak efficency.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links