Bowie Tactical Concepts HK P30S w/ Delta Point RDS

This is a discussion on Bowie Tactical Concepts HK P30S w/ Delta Point RDS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle when I sent my m&p9c in to btc, I asked mr bowie about this... 2 reasons 1. Moves the rds further ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bowie Tactical Concepts HK P30S w/ Delta Point RDS

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    when I sent my m&p9c in to btc, I asked mr bowie about this...
    2 reasons
    1. Moves the rds further away from the ejection port thereby protecting in from ejecting brass more.
    2. More unobstructed view of rds window to acquire the reticle faster.
    I've played around with both designs.

Neither is a valid reason, IMO.

2. Remove Ads

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I've played around with both designs.

Neither is a valid reason, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Must have been later than I thought last night.....

The reason the Deltapoint get's the rear mounting is that there are two set screws in the rear that secure the mount to it's base.
    That one is. I have more reasons, but not sure if they are wished to be kept proprietary, but rest assured in looking at the slide of this pistol and the internals there of, mounting in the rear makes sense.

Now, regarding holsters, I'm pleased to say that the gun still fits in my VMII darn near perfectly.

Well, yeah. Due to internals, some guns can't have the RDS mounted forward. Some can't have one at all.

When TSD was milling for the DP, they drilled holes in the rear suppressor sight to allow access to the adjustment screws and a forward mount.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    When TSD was milling for the DP, they drilled holes in the rear suppressor sight to allow access to the adjustment screws and a forward mount.
    Seems like it would be at least as easy to mount the DeltaPoint behind the rear suppressor sight.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Lead Moderator
    Wow, that looks great JD. I might have to consider adding one to the M&P pistol I got.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice looking setup JD!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

JD you are freaking killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The H&K P30 is on the top of my dream pistol list! I have never felt a gun that fit my hand so perfectly as the P30 and now you have one that is on its way back to you from Bowie?? I am burning with jealousy and envy. BURNING!!

I hope you LOVE it because if you don't, I will drive to your place and I will kidnap that beautiful P30 and give it a home where it will be completely loved and appreciated.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    JD you are freaking killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The H&K P30 is on the top of my dream pistol list! I have never felt a gun that fit my hand so perfectly as the P30 and now you have one that is on its way back to you from Bowie?? I am burning with jealousy and envy. BURNING!!

I hope you LOVE it because if you don't, I will drive to your place and I will kidnap that beautiful P30 and give it a home where it will be completely loved and appreciated.
    The green eyed monster rears its ugly head! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Seems like it would be at least as easy to mount the DeltaPoint behind the rear suppressor sight.
    At the cost of losing the traditional position of the sights.

But, as mentioned, the internals of his HK doesn't seem to allow a more forward mount.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Bowie P30S Update

Time for an update. I originally wanted some time to get acquainted with the set-up prior to really starting to get into the meat and potatoes of it, but that didn't turn out too well.

First and foremost the original Delta Point died on me before I could solidify the zero. I had shot the gun several times with just the irons as to not just jump into the optic part of it and forget the basics. While I was finishing up the final zero of the Delta Point died on me due the reticle emitter (the thingy that projects the reticle on to the lens) crapping out. I got in contact with Leupold and got an RMA that day and returned the unit which they replaced without question. I didn't have time to zero the gun for a couple of days but was finally able to get it zeroed.

During the zeroing process I was encountering a couple of issues. Early on with the gun I had two "troubling" types of failures. One was some intermittent failures to return to battery. Shooting the gun some more fixed that issue. It looks like I've got some exaggerated wear on the bottom of the slide where the disconnector has worn down the Cerakote which is what I suspected the culprit to be. Issue no.2 was intermittent failures of the trigger group during single action fire where the trigger would stop in rearward travel and not trip the sear. When releasing the trigger the hammer would de-cock. Two possible suspects for this where some sort of issue resulted from pressure being applied to the bottom of the magazine while being shot from the rest. The 2nd possible culprit was that the installed over-travel stop was amiss and that the trigger was being stalled in it's movement. Trouble shooting with the slide off and observing the trigger / stop operation proved this to be a non-issue.

When I got the Delta Point remounted and proceeded to zero the gun I had the trigger group failure return. On a whim I removed the factory firing pin block spring (heavy spring) and installed a light firing pin block spring that I obtained from HKParts.net, this eliminated all trigger group issues that I was having. My guess is that with the altered slide geometry, particularly where the channel for the firing pin block is that there was too much tension on the firing pin block spring and that sometimes when "babying" the trigger" (I did not that I had zero failures of the trigger group on double action shots or when purposely jerking the trigger) that the guts would bind. The lighter spring fixed that.

I got by zero in, but found that the windage adjustment screw almost coming out of the optic as a result of too much adjustment to the left. I attribute the extreme windage due to my severe left eye dominance.

So...optic installed and zeroed. Gun issues all worked out.

How does it shoot? Really, really nice.

The lighter firing pin block spring actually cleaned up the trigger pull a little bit and is a common add-on for an Hk trigger job, I had actually purchased the spring to install in my Hk45, but trouble shooting the P30S took precedence.

I've painted the front sight of the BUIS a bright green (using Lima's nail polish complete with a clear coat over the green, I've found this to help longevity of any paint job) I typically use orange or red, but something about the lens of the optic made it not stand out so much, I find myself picking up the green better.

I was able to run the gun in our October pistol match, it was a mash-up of IDPA and USPSA where we welcomed our USPSA shooters to come and run their guns and kind of had a mixed theme of USPSA and IDPA....it was a zombie match. Lord help me I was match director of a zombie match.

We had some interesting stages, double taps were required to the head box of all "Z" targets and we had two steel stages (video of the match is being tweaked on) and I smoked them running the red dot and had some really good times on the other stages. I can honestly say that I would not have done so well without the optic.

The one issue I'm having is a matter of rebuilding my draw-stroke to bring the gun up a little higher and get my head lower. With winter coming up I'll be doing a lot of dry fire in the basement.

Here's some other pics.

Still fits my VMII, please note that if the optic where forward of where the sight cut was, it would probably not fit so well.

Misc.

Trigger guard mod:

The pics above were with the original Delta Point

Here's some new ones also including my slightly modified Garrett Industries Silent Thunder that I've been using as and appendix carry rig.

Here's the green paint on the front sight.

Here you can see how I re-shaped the sweat shield, that's the only modification I've done and it accomplished two things: Cleared the Kydex out of the way of the optic, and when warmed up I was able to remold it around the safety lever. I'll snap some more pics of that part later.

Gun and Holster

Looks slick. That is a fancy gun! Weird about the issues with the trigger....

How's that holster working out for appendix carry?

Austin

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Looks slick. That is a fancy gun! Weird about the issues with the trigger....

How's that holster working out for appendix carry?

Austin
    There's some improvements that could be made, but it's doing the trick for now.

Well let me tell you how well my btc m&p9c shoots... Oh wait...

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well let me tell you how well my btc m&p9c shoots... Oh wait...

Hold one, let me call you a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Hold one, let me call you a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.
    man that's just mean... Of course I could be in a bad mood for other reasons right now that I'm sure most of us share...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links