Pocket Carry --- LCR .357 opinions wanted

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry --- LCR .357 opinions wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, New to the forum, so hello from Texas! Anyhow, just received my Texas CHL. Now I'm looking into pocket carry. I think I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry --- LCR .357 opinions wanted

Hey all,

New to the forum, so hello from Texas!
    Anyhow, just received my Texas CHL. Now I'm looking into pocket carry. I think I want to go with the Ruger LCR .357 for a few reasons. First my grandfather gave me his nickel-plated .38 special 6-shot revolver before he died, and I love the gun. Second, I also have a 4" .357 Mag at home. I have tons of practice ammo and Speer Gold Dots stocked up at home, both in .38 +P and .357 mag. By going with the LCR 357, I will be able to use both kinds of ammo I already have stockpiled in my carry gun and not have to buy new ammo.

So, my question is, does anyone pocket carry this? I work where slacks/khakis and a shirt and tie are required. I've tried IWB tuckable, but I have a back issue, and no matter the size of the gun, it always seems to bother my back --- yes I have tried with a smaller sized 9mm in the past. Is this concealble in my pocket with a good holster, like the Nemesis or Super Fly?

Let me know guys! Thanks!

How big are your pockets. A 357 even a LCR are a bit on the heavy side when loaded. A 38 can be much light and smaller much easier to put in a pocket.

Another smaller choice is Smith 442 or 642. They are a bit flatter and have smaller grip. In your pocket they should disappear easier.
    I have 357 LCR and LCR. They nice to shoot but their grips make them feel bigger than they are. Another choice is Kahr CM9 in 9mm.
    Vodek

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    How big are your pockets. A 357 even a LCR are a bit on the heavy side when loaded. A 38 can be much light and smaller much easier to put in a pocket.
    Ahhh, but the problem is, I want the power of the .357! And my pockets are pretty big. They can hold a cell phone, wallet, mace and eye drops in one pocket.

DC
    I pocket carry a LCR .38 easily. As long as your pockets are deep enough and your pants aren't too tight, easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
    Ahhh, but the problem is, I want the power of the .357! And my pockets are pretty big. They can hold a cell phone, wallet, mace and eye drops in one pocket.
    If you physical size is one that it fits in your pocket and pants don't fall down you have chosen a fine weapon The Ruger LCR is as good as it gets.
    keep in mind a .38 plus P with the right round is an often over looked round that will do the job. There are times when a revolver fits my needs better than my auto.
    I carry this little .38 +p Front left IWB tuck. So light you hardly notice it but I sure would not want to be on the receiving end of it..

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar

Someone correct me if I am wrong but a .357Mag out of a short barrel snub will only have as much power as a 9mm out of a 3inch barrel. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but a .357Mag out of a short barrel snub will only have as much power as a 9mm out of a 3inch barrel. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the load. With Cor-Bon 125gr. JHP or Remington 125gr. SJHP, I get 1400fps.+ out of a 2 1/4" SP-101. If you can duplicate that with a 3" 9x19, you'd suprise me a lot.

Might I suggest you go to the local gun shop where you might purchase the LCR, ask to try out a couple pocket holsters with the gun in the slacks style you usually wear. Walk around, sit around, look in a mirror, see how easily (or not) you can draw, etc. Even if they don't carry the specific pocket holster you're considering, it will still give you a feel for the advantages/disadvantages of pocket carry.

I occasionally pocket carry a S&Wm60 using a Blackhawk nylon holster with a grippy-strip. It always stays put when I draw, unlike a leather pocket holster I have, and I can get my finger into the holster atop the trigger guard before I draw, again, unlike the leather pocket holster. It's a particularly handy way to carry in a jacket or winter coat, but I find it tends to weigh heavy in a sport coat pocket and is obvious I've got something there. During the winter months I like the idea that you can use a revolver while it's still in a coat pocket. Try that with a 1911!

Keep in mind, whatever pocket you carry in, it should be the only thing in that pocket, meaning your keys, change, tic-tacs, speed strips, speed loader, pocket knife, etc, will have to be distributed to other pockets.

One other thought: if you've never shot a light/moderate-weight .357, rent one at your range and see if you feel as eager after fifty rounds. If you're gonna carry .357s, you should practice with .357s.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Some of my clothes will take my .38 LCR, others will not - pocket not quite deep enough. That issue can be addressed with a quick trip to the tailor.

I use the Desantis Superfly. It has an anti print panel that helps break up the outline of the gun. The panel does not cover the whole gun like it does with the versions for semi autos (the curved revolver grip makes getting a grasp more difficult with the full panel) but it still helps with printing.

I'd say the .38 is plenty, but if you insist on a .357, then go for it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I pocket carry the LCR 357 in a DeSantis Nemisis or Galco leather pocket holster. It is easy to pocket carry and does not print. It feels lighter than my Sig 238. I love my LCR and it is my preferred carry piece.

i pocket carry the lcr .38 version daily in a Desantis Nemesis,no problem at all..the .357 lcr does weigh about 4ozs more which is substantial when pocket carrying.for that reason,i'd go with the .38 and load it up with +p ammo.

Ahhh, but the problem is, I want the power of the .357!
    Have you actually shot a full-house .357 from a snub? It's a handful - "snappy" doesn't begin to describe it.
    Rollo likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Have you actually shot a full-house .357 from a snub? It's a handful - "snappy" doesn't begin to describe it.
    You're right it doesn't. I don't regret for a minute buying mine. It is by far the most comfortable gun I have carried and it pocket carries very nicely. But, you won't shoot a whole lot of .357 in it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I carry an LCR 357 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. You can't tell that I am carrying a weapon of any kind. This setup fits well into cargo pants or Docker style pleated pants. I have full confidence in either the 38 +P or the 357 ammo. It helps that I am a big guy but if you dress accordingly you can conceal just about anything. So far, I haven't found any IWB or OWB that conceals that well for me or is comfortable ( and please don't give me the comforting instead of comfortable line )! My advice........Go For It!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links