My first Colt

My first Colt

This is a discussion on My first Colt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When 5 shots just aren't enough. Colt Cobra 38 special. Very nice shooter....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My first Colt

My first Colt

When 5 shots just aren't enough. Colt Cobra 38 special. Very nice shooter.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

Very nice!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I happen to have this colts older brother the detective special. They are fantastic little shooters. Plus have 20% more firepower then aj frame. I happen to find they are quite nice to carry

Gunnie,
    I was looking for a detective special when they brought this pistol out. I would like the detective special too.
    NRA Life Member

Very nice Colt Cobra! In better than average condition too!

The six-shot Colt snubs are the best kept secret out there in a sea of Smith & Wesson and Ruger five-shot models. The Colts hide just as well and are easy to shoot.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Looks like a nice weapon! Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Very nice Colt Cobra! In better than average condition too!

The six-shot Colt snubs are the best kept secret out there in a sea of Smith & Wesson and Ruger five-shot models. The Colts hide just as well and are easy to shoot.
    I wonder what the difference in size are though? If there is very little or none,...then I wonder why the standard Smith, Taurus, Ruger, Charter,...et. al. snubbies rock 5 shots not 6. (I'm not 100% on which Smiths are 5, and which are 6. I know my dad had an old Smith snubbie with a wood grip that was 6 that was gifted to my brother, not me )

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

The five-shot Smith & Wesson revolvers are built on variations of their smallest frame, the J-Frame. Their newish Bodyguard .38 Special revolver is also a 5-shot model. The Ruger, Taurus, and Charter models are similar. These revolvers are small enough that five is all the cylinder can be configured to hold. The Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolvers chambered for .38 Special are large enough to be designed for six shots. The Smith & Wesson Models 10, 12 (airweight), and 15 (adjustable rear sight) all could be had with 2-inch barrel.

The Colt D-Frame snub models which include the steel-framed Detective Special and aluminum-alloy-framed Cobra and Agent are very slightly larger than the J-Frame Smith & Wesson guns yet noticeably smaller than the K-Frame Smith & Wesson guns. These Colts are "just right" as far as snubbies go and superior to all other snub revolvers in my personal opinion.

Colt desperately needs to bring back their famous snubs.
    BugDude likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Nice old Colt, congrats.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Colt Cobra v S/W J frame model 36

It appears that the 5 shot j frame and 6 shot cobra are almost identical in size. The cobra's cylinder is obviously larger than the j frame cylinder, but not by much.
    I recently read an article that the Smith and Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special was smith's answer to Colt's Detective Special.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

Nice pair!

And I don't say that to dudes very often.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    It appears that the 5 shot j frame and 6 shot cobra are almost identical in size. The cobra's cylinder is obviously larger than the j frame cylinder, but not by much.
    I recently read an article that the Smith and Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special was smith's answer to Colt's Detective Special.
    Nice comparison, not as much difference as I thought. And I have both, just never compared them side by side. Thanks for showing us.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The five-shot Smith & Wesson revolvers are built on variations of their smallest frame, the J-Frame. Their newish Bodyguard .38 Special revolver is also a 5-shot model. The Ruger, Taurus, and Charter models are similar. These revolvers are small enough that five is all the cylinder can be configured to hold. The Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolvers chambered for .38 Special are large enough to be designed for six shots. The Smith & Wesson Models 10, 12 (airweight), and 15 (adjustable rear sight) all could be had with 2-inch barrel.

The Colt D-Frame snub models which include the steel-framed Detective Special and aluminum-alloy-framed Cobra and Agent are very slightly larger than the J-Frame Smith & Wesson guns yet noticeably smaller than the K-Frame Smith & Wesson guns. These Colts are "just right" as far as snubbies go and superior to all other snub revolvers in my personal opinion.

Colt desperately needs to bring back their famous snubs.
    Wow. Thanks for the information. I didn't know,..

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures. They do look pretty similar. How different are the two when you shoot them?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I carry the mod 36 and I am comfortable with the way it shoots. I've only fired the cobra a couple dozen times. It's raining outside and I shot while standing on my porch. I hope to put the cobra through it's paces this weekend. The cobra is lighter than the model 36. Seems to have more buck.
    NRA Life Member

That's a really nice example. I just passed on a 4" .357 MKIII Trooper with additional 2" Bbl. It was in fantastic condition, (Colt's blue is sharp), but I didn't pull the trigger; LGS had it listed for $540 which I think is a decent deal. We won't be seeing anymore of the Colt Revos again unfortunately.

Way to go Jeff, now get back to making your beautiful holsters, i have a few guns on order that i will need holsters for!!!!! bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links