How much do you practice with your EDC?

This is a discussion on How much do you practice with your EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a firm believer in the statement "Perfect Practice Makes perfect". How much do you practice your EDC guns? What distances do you practice ...

Thread: How much do you practice with your EDC?

How much do you practice with your EDC?

I am a firm believer in the statement "Perfect Practice Makes perfect". How much do you practice your EDC guns? What distances do you practice from? My main carry guns (Glocks) get about 200 rounds a month spread over the 3 of them. My BUG gets about 100 a month. They are not all carry loads, I can't afford that much factory ammo.

I usually do about 1/2 of that square range and 1/2 during IDPA matches. I believe in running my carry guns. I am under no illusions that I will ever win a match, but it is fun and it is practice running my guns and reloading under simulated stress. What I really notice is when people have a malfunction (myself included) it takes a second or two just to realize it, then it is usually cleared within another second or 2, you may be out of the fight for 5 seconds. I think that is something to practice and prepare for.

I try to limit my range sessions to about a box of ammo, after that I may start to get sloppy, I do not wish to practice sloppy moves. Dry fire is an indispensable practice method. I dry fire daily when I don't get to the range.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My signature line - well that deserves some explanation. I carry a number of different guns, so technically I guess I don't have an EDC. I have a bunch of guns which I carry and shoot.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I practice with my EDC's as much as I can, i.e. when I can afford to, which usually comes out to a couple hundred rounds a month. Of my common EDC's my LCP and CM9 get the least attention (they are also the least carried), and my Glock 26 and 19 get the most. The drills I do vary.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I have learned that "practice" comes in several flavors. Obviously, live fire drills are the most "fun", but of even more importance is dry-fire and manipulation drills.

Once a certain level of proficiency is achieved, constant, high-round-count live-fire is less useful. You already know "how" to shoot properly, now it is about "running" the gun proficiently. Practicing your draw stroke so that it is fast and consistent will be of more use on the street that 20 slow-fire bulls-eyes. Training your self to assess and clear malfunctions efficiently is not nearly as much fun as blasting away on the range, but I still spend twice as much time on that as I do on live-fire.

These days, unless I am just out for a fun range day with friends, I usually do a "tune-up" once a week consisting of 30-50 rounds in various drills. I will do a more intensive day once a month of around 150-200 rounds.

The bulk of my "practice" is done at home, though. I dry-fire most every day for no more that 15 minutes, and work on manipulations and malfunction clearance another 15 minutes or so. Some days I do more, some less. Life dictates the actual amount of time in a given week, but I usually can manage 2-4 hours per week of dry-fire/manipulation practice for every 1-2 hours of live-fire.

Some might call that too much time for a "civilian", but if you think about it, 3-6 hours a week is less time than many of us spend sprawled on the couch watching the idiot box - in just one day.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member
    We practice with all of our regular shooters and especially our EDC's very frequently. While much of the practice/drilling is done unloaded or with snap caps, we try to get to the range at lease once or twice a month, where between the two of us we generally go through a 200-300 rounds of each of our common defensive calibers (.380, .40 .45, 5.56mm, 12g)... and 500-1000 rounds of 22LR just for fun :) Fortunately, the range we visit the most has no rules against deploying from concealment, multi-tap shooting, etc. (3 round bursts, full-auto and slidefire stocks are common there). After one of these range sessions we'll generally enjoy a nice meal and discuss the range time, then perform a thorough maintenance on the firearms and load all the mags with SD ammo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Every other week.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    At least twice a month,about 2-400rnds. And Always a good cleaning afterwards.

Distinguished Member
    I try to go every week, but its usually more like every other. I do practice more with my M&P than my TCP, need to work on that a little. I also try to get in some dry fire practice as well. Unfortunantly I get alittle bored with that quickly.

I have set up a little bb range in my garage and really enjoy getting some practice with that. I find I'm mostly working on drawing, point shooting, engaging multiple targets and stuff. It doesn't really help me with accuracy, trigger control and such but its still good practice and really fun. I have actually learned a bit from it. My indoor range doesn't allow anything in any real kind of practice. Not near as fun as live rounds though, and the bb gun is a bit far off from the feel of either of my EDC guns. But I think I get something from it.

But I think every little bit helps and its all fun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Practice with my EDC once a week: 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ, since I carry 147gr Gold Dot, and the two have the same weight and velocity. I use an 8" Shoot-N-C at 12, 10, and 5 yards. I practice double taps, triple taps, and single shots, picking the gun up off the table, disarming the safety and engaging. That's about it though. No movement of the target, or of me.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I go to the range once a week (every Sunday Afternoon) I normally bring two different guns mostly carry guns but once in while I bring out the classics and give them some range time

i put one mag through every 2 days just to keep the trigger feel and groupings tight

twice a month with one box of duty ammo and several hand full of reloads. i shoot between 2 to 20 feet. use to be more but they are getting tight on giving out duty ammo for practice. the money is now going to food stamps so we can feed the dead beats, sorry i got off topic.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Not nearly as much as I should or would like to.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen4 G21, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, S&W M&P 9, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

I use to hit the range every other week, now it's once a month, couple hundred rounds, I dry fire a couple times a week. If I could afford the ammo I would go every week.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Links