Carry Ammo recommendations for a Glock 36.

This is a discussion on Carry Ammo recommendations for a Glock 36. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a good day. I wanted a .45ACP, but I wanted something I could carry. A Glock 36 will fit in all the same ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carry Ammo recommendations for a Glock 36.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I had a good day. I wanted a .45ACP, but I wanted something I could carry. A Glock 36 will fit in all the same holsters I have for my Glock 19 (and G26), so I asked the propriator of my favorite gun store if he could get me a Glock 36.

He said, "Sure." Turned 180 degrees, picked up a box off the back counter, turned around, opened it and inside was a Glock 36.

"What took you so long?" I asked. He chuckled. We've been doing business for years.

It's an older Gen 3, in a pop top plastic box, not hinged. He left me alone to look it over. One magazine had a faint line on it indicating that at least one bullet had been fed out of it. The other magazine was virgin. It's never had a round in it. I field stripped it and found it still had the factory colored grease in the rails, essentially no powder residue in it or even on the feed ramp. Everything that comes with one was in the case.

He bought it as part of an estate collection. Near as I could tell it hadn't been fired by the previous owner. Anyway, it followed me home. I wiped it down, put a couple of patches through the bore, took a quick look and discovered, with no surprise, it's perfect in in there.

I have a box of WWB I'll put through it first. And I have 1.000 brass, 1.200 bullets, and dies for the Dillon 550 so I can make practice ammo.

What I'm wondering is what works well as carry ammo. It's a Glock, and if it's like my 19 and 26, it will probably eat whatever I put in it and work fine. Left to my own devices, I'd probably get 185g COR-BON DPX +P (I carry COR-BON +P DPX in my 19 and 26) and be done with it, but I don't want to find out what feeds and what doesn't by buying and trying. I'd sure appreciate it if you folks that have a 36 would tell me what works well in yours, and what doesn't. I'll test it of course, but testing one or two recommendations to confirm and testing a box of everything as an exploration are two entirely different things in terms of cost.

Thanks
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have a G30SF that I carry equaly as much as my G23 and that takes up all of my carry time. And I carry this:
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Auto +P :: 45 Auto+P 230 gr HP XTP® TAP® FPD™

It works awesome in my Glock. And... Well Done on your G36! Awesome pistol!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Federal HST 230 grain

I bought a Glock 36 a few months ago, have tested it several times, and am now carrying Federal HST 230 grain ammo in the gun. I like HST ammo and have some in 45, 40 and 9mm. It feeds well in my guns and the ballistic data on the Federal law enforcement website looks impressive - 13 inches of penetration and expansion to over one inch. I buy the ammo at Streichers online, which is in Minnesota. I think you will like the Glock 36 if you are a .45 fan. It is small enough to conceal well, but large enough to shoot well.

Here is the Glock alongside a Colt Defender of similar size that I have also carried:

Gforty and Ranger45 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I also carry Federal HST 230 Gr. but I feel equally prepared for anything with Speer 230Gr. Gold Dot. No +p.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Any major manufacturer 230 grain JHP. I like Speer Gold Dots, but any of them should do just fine.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

On the rare occasion I carry my G36, I carry it with Remington Golden Sabers 230 gr.
    revldm likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm using this now until I have a chance to test some others later this year.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

DPX feeds good in mine. That's what I have in it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Wow. That's a really informative link. A guy could go thorugh a whole pot of coffee studying that, and I probably will. Thank you very much.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It's great to know what feeds, though I expected nearly all to feed well since it's a Glock. The caveat was it's a single stack and might have issues due to being unique in the Glock line up. Apparently it doesn't which is a good thing.

Thanks Again Folks. Much appreicated.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have a glock 36 that eats anything I feed it. You should be fine with any good ammo.

160 grain standard pressure DPX would be my choice in a G36. Look it up and compare, you will be surprised at its performance.

I shoot 230 grin Speer Gold Dot out of my model 30. I tried some 165 grain Hydra Shock they were OK but I went with waht has good track record in Law enforcement with actual shootings.

When I carry my G 36 I use Winchester Ranger 230 gr T series. When I practice with my G 36 I use WWB 230 gr FMJ. I've not had any problems.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have good results with Speer gold dot 230 grain also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links