My pocket pistol - Kimber Solo Carry

This is a discussion on My pocket pistol - Kimber Solo Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is a Kimber Solo Carry With Crimson Trace Lasergrips in a Desantis Super Fly holster. Here's a few pics:...

Thread: My pocket pistol - Kimber Solo Carry

My EDC is a Kimber Solo Carry With Crimson Trace Lasergrips in a Desantis Super Fly holster.

Here's a few pics:

VIP Member
    Hi,

So I am not known as a real Kimber fan, but I am known to love me some 1911. Please stay tuned for my full Kimber Solo review.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    A lefty with a Solo + laser? Interesting!

Thoughts on that combo?

Nice. 6+1 in the gun, 6 in your pocket. 13 rounds should stop most attacks.
    How is the Solo working for you ? Really been wanting to try one out. Hopefully getting one soon.
    Last edited by Bazinga; July 22nd, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

C hawk Glock, I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the Solo. I hope that yours is performing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Thoughts on that combo?
    Although I practice with both hands, I usually shoot right handed. No issues with the laser when shooting southpaw, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
    Nice. 6+1 in the gun, 6 in your pocket. 13 rounds should stop most attacks.
    How is the Solo working for you ? Really been wanting to try one out.
    The short answer is, I like it more every time I shoot it.

When Kimber announced the Solo, I was interested in the gun because of size and the fact that it's chambered in 9mm. As you know, initial reviews of the Solo were less than stellar. I honestly feel that Kimber changed something with the Solo soon after their release. I say this for 2 reasons; after the first few hundred hit the shelves there were none to be found, and reviews of newer serial-numbered guns reveal much better reliability. I don't think Kimber will ever admit it, but I'm convinced they retooled something. Mine has been flawless. It is incredibly accurate for a small gun, and it has cycled every round I've fed her, including ammo that is not on Kimber's recommended list.

The Solo was simply one of those guns that "felt right" the fist time I put it in my hand. If you find one at MSRP or less, buy it; if you don't like it, they are still selling for well over MSRP on Gunbroker due to lack of availability.

I usually have 15 rounds on hand; my second mag is the 8 round extended mag.

Awesome. I personally feel that CT lasers on carry guns are a must. When you're confronted by a violent situation, it's going to be very hard to stay focused on the front sight only. The natural inclination is to focus on the target, which as we all know, creates follow up issues , just like with golf, lol. The bright red dot on the target is easy to see, easy to follow, and provides you a sight picture where you can still see the target.

I have one on my XD40SC, and love it. Now I just have to figure out a comfortable way to carry it.

I personally feel that CT lasers on carry guns are a must.
    I agree 100%. I've owned several types of lasers, but every since I bought my first Crimson Trace for my LCP I've never considered another brand. When/if you are involved in a life or death situation, instinct and adrenaline take over. Activating a CT is purely instinctive by design.

The natural inclination is to focus on the target, which as we all know, creates follow up issues , just like with golf, lol.
    You must have played 18 holes with me. I always hit the ball straight/long, but rarely on the same stroke.

How many rounds have you put thru your Solo, and what have you decided on for your carry ammo with it? It sure looks like a great pistol. I have had a few small 9mm pistols, and the Solo is awfully tempting.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post
    How many rounds have you put thru your Solo, and what have you decided on for your carry ammo with it? It sure looks like a great pistol. I have had a few small 9mm pistols, and the Solo is awfully tempting.
    Sorry for the delayed response, Skeeter64.

I have 550 rounds down the pipe, zero malfunctions.

My carry ammo is Remington Golden Sabers. 124 grain bullet, +P load.

The Solo is very comfortable to shoot, not nearly as punishing as you would expect from a small gun. It is amazingly accurate for a short barrel.
    Last edited by Sontag; September 2nd, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

The Solo looks like it might be one of the best options for a pocket pistol in 9mm, but the only ones I've seen around here are the CDP models for $1200+. The prices have to level off eventually, or at least I hope so.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Thoughts on that combo?
    I'm also a lefty using the CT grips on my Kimber Ultra Carry II. It works great because it gives you a very consistent grip where your left thumb rests just at the bulge for the laser. The other bonus is that I don't hide the laser with my trigger finger like I sometimes do shooting right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post
    The Solo looks like it might be one of the best options for a pocket pistol in 9mm, but the only ones I've seen around here are the CDP models for $1200+. The prices have to level off eventually, or at least I hope so.
    It seems like the CDP models are easier to find. I'm guessing it's because most people probably think that $500 is a lot for CT grips, night sights, and a melt job added to a $750 pistol. Keep looking, you can find the non-CDP models. I have well under $900 in mine, including the CT grips.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    It works great because it gives you a very consistent grip where your left thumb rests just at the bulge for the laser. The other bonus is that I don't hide the laser with my trigger finger like I sometimes do shooting right handed.
    I agree 100%, pir8fan.

Truth be told, I've been a bit leary of spending $1,000 on a pistol and not having it work well and I've owned several Kimbers previously.

I haven't shot the Solo but I have been hearing great things about it. Enjoy it in good health!

Sponsored Links