Survival rifle questions --- 7.62 x 39

This is a discussion on Survival rifle questions --- 7.62 x 39 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Buddy of mine is selling his SKS to pay for another project (customizing a 1990 Jeep Wrangler). It's bare-bones, with iron sights and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Survival rifle questions --- 7.62 x 39

Hey all,

Buddy of mine is selling his SKS to pay for another project (customizing a 1990 Jeep Wrangler). It's bare-bones, with iron sights and wood stock. It's only had about 400 rounds through it.

My question is this: I like to prepare for emergencies/SHTF. I have about a year of canned goods and bottled water stocked in my garage, a comprehensive medical kit with some sterile surgical equipment, water sanitization tablets, kindling and fire starting materials, and a few winter parkas. Just in case, ya know.

I also have my handguns x2 (signature) to defend against home invasion, a 12g to double for home-defense and hunting rabbits, birds, and squirrels. There are a ton of deer in my area, but I have nothing to bring one down with. That's why I'm interested in my friend's SKS. Can a 7.62 x 39 take a deer? I wouldn't be taking more than 100-150 yard shots.

Thanks, guys :)

Not what I would get as a rifle dedicated for that purpose, but it would work fine for that.

Yep, it's adequate for deer, and often compared to a .30-30. Just use soft-point ammo for hunting, and practice with those open sights. Or - check out the TechSights replacement rear sight - it's like a Garand aperture sight.

The SKS is a great gun, if a little heavy for the round it fires, but that pretty much goes along with its durability. Very few close-tolerance parts and a very robust design. Pick up a bag of good stripper clips and get used to charging the gun with them - do it a few times and you'll be surprised how quickly you can manage a reload. (Some of the el-cheapo strippers are a little rough, so I spray 'em with a dry lube [in the track that grabs the cartridge rims] that I use for lubing brass cases for reloading, and that helps a bit.) Way better IMO than the clunky conversions which allow you to use AK mags.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

SKS's are used as deer hunters every where. Yes it will drop a 150-200# whitetail. Hornady Zombie 7.62X39 would work just fine, they have polymer tip. SKS as my first choice....no. But it will do the job. Make sure you adhere to hunting magazine capacity laws. My SKS is scope equipped, but at 100 yards it has trouble holding a 4-5" circle. The SKS's are for slinging lead in a military gunfight. A word of caution with the SKS. This is a military weapon and as such must have certain precautions. It is safety equipped, but the SKS is known to fire a round when a round is chambered. The firing pin is a free floating pin in the firing pin block and if gummed up the firing pin can be stuck in the forward position. When a round is chambered the force is enough to fire the round being chambered without pulling the trigger. Also, you can have a firing pin gummed or dirty that does not fire when you chamber the first round, but when the first round is fired the pin remains forward and you basically have a full auto function without holding the trigger down. Ask me how I know this, haha. On the SKS always have the barrel pointing downrange when you chamber a round. Never chamber a round in the house unless you need a new roof.

Good luck to you.

I don't particularly have a problem with the sks, but I'd just pick up a good supply of 12 gauge slugs for deer. An approximately 3/4" piece of lead drops deer and just about anything else on this continent in it's tracks. 100 yards is doable with just a bit of practice. My can has a dedicated slug gun that has replaced his 30/30 as he gets close to the same range out of the two with a lot of stopping power from the slug as well. It does a number on large hogs too.

But yes, the sks is plenty capable for for task at hand.

sent via iCarry

Sks will for your need fine if it ever came to it. I love mine, eats everything I feed it and never had an issue. As smitty said, stripper clips are the way to go, you can get very fast wit reloading. As I can only get neutered versions of ARs here it is one of shtf guns.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

What do you guys think about the AK-47 platform? Also saw some of those online for $525 for the M-10 version w/chromed barrel.

VIP Member
    The 7.62 (.30 cal) X39 will work fine for deer at 100-150 yards. Back in the 80's when Norinco was importing the surplus Chinese SKS I bought one for $90. I replaced the wood stock with a Butler Creek composite stock and put a reciever scope mount on it, with a 4X scope. Made for a sweet brush gun. I still kick myself for ever selling it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
    What do you guys think about the AK-47 platform? Also saw some of those online for $525 for the M-10 version w/chromed barrel.
    How about one of these little AKs for less money? They're one of the best deals currently going in AKs.

Chrome-lined bore, and they fold up pretty small.

AK AMD 65 Rifle Part #AKAGUN-AMD

Bud's even has free shipping on them: TG International FEG AMD-65 7.62x39 AK Variant $439.00 SHIPS FREE

Not necessarily the best way to go, but it's an option if you've got the pieces....

VIP Member
    The SKS is a good, solid rifle. Very robust and fairly accurate.

The 7.62X39 is an outstanding cartridge and would be great for deer hunting or for zombies.

The AK47 is a legendary platform. Lots of people love them.

You didn't mention the price your buddy is selling his SKS for.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

GH
    If you think the price is a good one then go for it. If you think it's a bit high save your money for a rifle dedicated to hunting deer. If you want something that will keep bad guys at a distance if the SHTF as well as for hunting then it'll work out okay. As always there are better rifles for anything you want to use them for. I'd recommend optics after you zero in the iron sights.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Your current 12 g will take deer just fine. That's how "buck" shot got its name!...
    atctimmy and marcclarke like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    The SKS will kill lots of deer. It should be really low cost. The can go for 200 buck range. They shoot pretty good for hunting purpose. I would rather shoot one than 12 ga slugs. it probably has better accuracy than most 12 ga slugs. But 150-100 yards shots are easy with either the 12 ga or SKS rifle. Plus for hunting you can take it in the woods and not worry about a a scratch in it and it an easy rifle to haul around.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Your current 12 g will take deer just fine. That's how "buck" shot got its name!...
    Lol, good point 10th MTN. By the way, where is the 10th stationed? I live in Durango, CO for part of the year.
    ANd secondly, how close would I need to be to a buck for buckshot to work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links