Big Problems w/ My Little XDs - Page 3

Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

This is a discussion on Big Problems w/ My Little XDs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Same here,,,, I have 3 XD and one XDM. Never an issue. Sorry that you have. One of the reasons I chose Springfield is their ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

Same here,,,, I have 3 XD and one XDM. Never an issue. Sorry that you have. One of the reasons I chose Springfield is their outstanding customer service just in case. Good thing is I have never had to use them with a XD model. I have with one of their 1911's. They make it right. I also agree with with the comments on the XDS. Completely different gun than XD or XDM. Trust all my Springfields with my life.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    I want to start off by saying that I'm not usually a "gun basher". I understand that guns are machines and any machine can break down (including whatever machine made my SA XDs). With that said, I bought the supposed gun of the year, the XDs on Friday. I was like a 12 year old kid I was so excited to get my hands on one. I'd been doing my research on forums, reputable magazines, YouTube, and had talked to 3 guys I know who have them. All gave sterling reviews and I couldn't wait to get mine and throw some lead down range. Once at the Range on Saturday, my balloon got popped real quick! I had a failure to fire about every 5th round. I would pull back the slide enough to cock the gun and it would go bang after the next trigger pull. I inspected almost all of the spent brass from the FTF's and they would have a light firing pin strike right next to a heavier strike. I used 3 different kinds of ammo and put a total of 220 round through it with the same problem every 5th round or so. I took it back to the guy I bought if from and got my 90% refund (minus 10% for restocking fee) which I was happy about. I then went straight to the Glock 36. I fondled the Kahr CW45 and the PM45 but the CW45 was too tall for my liking and the PM45 was too expensive for my budget. I walked out the door having joined the Glock family and couldn't be happier with my G36. Took it out on Sunday for its inaugural run and it performed true to it's reputation. Flawless. I was so so sad to see the XDs let me down because I know almost everyone else out there has been great with it, but I guess I just had bad luck. I will say that the recoil was exceptionally manageable on the XDs (identical to the taller, thicker G36) and it was wicked accurate for only a 3.3" barrel. I shot the bullseye out of my Shoot-N-C with the rounds that did go off. The grip was a bit small for my hand, but hey, that's what you buy a pocket gun for anyways. The G36 is a nice happy medium as I always IWB carry anyways. Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.
    ITS YOUR FAULT! ! !

i got my XDs and it was a lemon
    Shipped it back and it was shipped back to me and greased up like a wheelbearing !!!!!!
    again a LEMON.......traded it for a Kahr which rocks!@ Springer cant even copy a glock right

Springer claimed it was ME and I dont know how to shoot their SPECIAL 45,quote unquote.....
    Well,if it wont work for me and it wont work for my buddy and it wont work for my wife we dont want any.......

buybye

The MGT at Springfeild has a lot of balls telling there inside people to blame everyone but the gun
    and thats LAME,im just glad to be rid of it and the whole mess....

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Hate to tell you this, but Kahr and its loyal followers are much worse at blaming the owner.

What sources do you have that are saying management at Springfield is telling their people to blame everyone but the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Hate to tell you this, but Kahr and its loyal followers are much worse at blaming the owner.

What sources do you have that are saying management at Springfield is telling their people to blame everyone but the gun?
    ME IM THE SOURCE....@ different ladys said it to me in 2 different times.....that means in my eyes they were trained to state it as fact...
    How are Kahr fans worse? Where is YOUR source? sound kinda grey if you ask me

I dont understand the point of your fanboyish reply,I own lots of guns and they all go bang and if they do not they are sold
    and noted as JUNK,by ME.....

So I'm a fanboy and kind of grey now, awesome... I have over 1800 posts on this forum and have owend Kahr, Springfield, S&W, Walther, Ruger, Rock Island, CZ and a few other hanguns, not to mention the long guns of various brands such as Bushmaster, Remington, Ruger, CZ (must be a CZ fanboy too right?).

Enjoy your Kahr, I've had 3 of them (does that make me a Kahr fanboy too?). I hope you never have issues with it, because if you think it's bad with Springfield (who is known for exceptional customer service) you're in for a rude awakening with Kahr,. in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket
    @ different ladys said it to me in 2 different times.....that means in my eyes they were trained to state it as fact...
    So because you think it was two different women, 2 different times, it's fact that management is training them to say it's user error all the time, and well, because it's now on the Internet is has to be true.

Then explain how other folks have sent theirs in, had it repaired, and it now functions perfectly?
    I wonder what were they told?

It's not that I don't believe you, but I also believe there's 2 sides to every story and I have a very hard time with the thought that anyone at Springfield is telling people to blame the users, and based on your responses here I have to wonder how you spoke to them.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    The only XD's I've found to be steadily reliable are the 9mm's. I've had trouble with both the .40's and .45's.

James Yeager over at Tactical Response has gone on the record saying that he's noticed the same thing with XD pistols coming through his training classes. The 9mm XD's run good but the .40's and .45's have problems. I believe he's said he's yet to see a single one make it through one of his classes without a failure.

Some people make the mistake of firing 50-100 rounds through their handguns at an indoor range every few weeks or month and since it doesn't have a failure they think it's super reliable. That's not much of a test of a guns reliability, IMHO. Taking it to a fighting pistol course where you'll fire 1000 rounds through it in 2 days in a dusty, dirty hot, humid environment (or freezing depending on the time of year) is a more valid test of a pistols abilities, or so I believe.

I want extreme reliability in a carry gun. I want to know for sure *my* copy is reliable, not all guns are manufactured equally -- even when they come from the same manufacturer. I will put no less than 1000 rounds through a new pistol before wearing it out of the house as a defensive arm. If it has one failure in that 1000 rounds it won't get carried. I've never carried a XD 45 because my copy couldn't do 1000 rounds without a failure. I personally would be reluctant to trust the XDS given my past experience with sub-compacts. If a full-size handgun has the occasional reliability issue, when you chop the gun down to sub-compact size it only increases the likelihood of a failure.

I do have a XDS on order through my gun shop. I think I have about 20 people in front of me in line. But when I get my hands on one I will put it through its paces and report what I find. Until then, my comments above about the reliability of the XDS are pure speculation.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

My carry requires 6 rounds fire reliably, 11 tops. 1000 rounds and a dirty gun would be a nice test, but not a requirement by any means for my personal carry choice. I'm not carrying in combat or chugging through the swamps, after all.

A gun not making it a whole day in a course really doesn't mean squat since I'll never be in that situation and I keep my guns clean.

Come on, when would you have 1000 rounds handy when carrying?

Posted using Tapatalk 2

If you carry for ideal conditions, then yes - your testing may be sufficient.

However, if you carry for the unknown your tests are lacking IMHO... I would go so far as to say it's not much of a test at all. You can't determine reliability by firing 6 trouble free rounds any more than you can determine accuracy by firing a 3 shot group.

I have no idea what situation I will find myself in should I need a firearm. If you rarely venture out of the city and go straight from the house to the car and back to the house, never stepping foot into a rain storm, muddy environment, etc. then perhaps you're good to go. I however often times find myself hundreds of miles from home, out in the weather, out in the country, and since I lack a crystal ball I really have no idea what fate will throw my way. As such I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

100% functioning XDs

My XDs is sitting around 500 rds fired w/o a single issue. It is splitting duties as my EDC with my XD40. All I did was lube it and hit the range!
    [B] AIRBORNE REDLEG(B)
    SA Ultra Compact SS Carry Gun
    S&W 327 Night Guard 8-shot .357
    SA GI High Cap Range Gun
    SA XD40 All Purpose
    Benelli Nova Pump 12 Ga / DPMS M4 .223

Regardless, how many rounds do you carry? I don't care if a dirty gun shoots 1000+ times, I only have 11 rounds at any given time.

If I need more I'm in over my head and/or brought the wrong gun.

I could get caught in a tornado too, but don't put armor and ground piecing spikes on my car to aid in surviving it.

Posted using Tapatalk 2

eb
    I've never had a single failure with my XD 45 compact. Granted, I've never shot 1000 through it without cleaning it, but that is an unrealistic scenario for me. When I bought it, I put 500 through on day 1 over the course of an hour to test it out and verify operation. Since then its had several hundred more put through in batches of 200-300 typically during range trips. I have no problem trusting that gun.

You're completely missing the point.

You fire 1000 rounds to see what the probability of having a failure is. If a handgun is prone to periodic failures Murphy's Law dictates it will happen at the worst possible time. No one is suggesting you will carry or fire 1000 rounds in a self defense situation, that's absurd.

It's an attempt to define a statistical average of failures.

People that rarely fire their defensive arms (6 rounds before carrying) probably don't train to clear malfunctions or even practice reloads. In essence you're carrying a firearm you have little experience with. When I do a 1000 round test on a new carry gun I'm not only assessing the reliability of the weapon but I'm also learning to use it.

You should fire at least 50 rounds of your carry ammo as a bare minimum to confirm function too.
    guardmt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post

You should fire at least 50 rounds of your carry ammo as a bare minimum to confirm function too.
    I am a SUB....... :)
    for CCW it needs to be 200 rounds of trouble free service for myself as well as
    what seems to be suggested by several companies......except my revolver which went into service
    for me after a day at the range. The XDs would not go one mag without issue.....even after 200 rounds (wasted my money and time)

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    THIS! I have a feeling that many XD-S complaints are due to the operator not field stripping and cleaning the gunk out of the firing pin channel area. Yeah, it would be neat if all guns operated straight from the factory case...but sometimes one has to field strip and lube...first!
    Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    I started a thread about a week ago and I had the same issues. Only I never personally had the issues when I shot the gun, my brother did and the issues are identical to yours. I opened up the firing pin block and to my surprise there was oil and gunk everywhere! I dont know about you but when I got mine it was oddly over oiled. That could have been part of the issue but nevertheless on the XD forums they talk about the exact same issues you have and most of them sent it back and they work fine now. I would try getting all the oil out of the firing pin channel and then oil the slide really generously. I noticed that a few times when my brother shot it, it was just ever so slightly out of battery, enough to cause the light primer strikes I assume.

I would try that and then if the problem persists, give springfield a call and send it in.

I also noticed that before breaking down and cleaning the firing pin channel, the pin would move slightly and when pushed down it would feel "stuck" if you pulled up

Sonnycrocket, thanks for the sub.

I just picked up a XDs today. I put 100 rounds through it right out of the box. No issues. I found the gun to be surprisingly easy to shoot with a good trigger and very manageable recoil.

I have another 900 rounds to go before I do a video, but so far so good. I posted a pic and a video over on my Facebook page.

Http://www.facebook.com/militaryarms
    pittypat21 likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links