Defensive Carry banner

Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

97K views 162 replies 80 participants last post by  Woodwrkr221 
#1 ·
I want to start off by saying that I'm not usually a "gun basher". I understand that guns are machines and any machine can break down (including whatever machine made my SA XDs). With that said, I bought the supposed gun of the year, the XDs on Friday. I was like a 12 year old kid I was so excited to get my hands on one. I'd been doing my research on forums, reputable magazines, YouTube, and had talked to 3 guys I know who have them. All gave sterling reviews and I couldn't wait to get mine and throw some lead down range. Once at the Range on Saturday, my balloon got popped real quick! I had a failure to fire about every 5th round. I would pull back the slide enough to cock the gun and it would go bang after the next trigger pull. I inspected almost all of the spent brass from the FTF's and they would have a light firing pin strike right next to a heavier strike. I used 3 different kinds of ammo and put a total of 220 round through it with the same problem every 5th round or so. I took it back to the guy I bought if from and got my 90% refund (minus 10% for restocking fee) which I was happy about. I then went straight to the Glock 36. I fondled the Kahr CW45 and the PM45 but the CW45 was too tall for my liking and the PM45 was too expensive for my budget. I walked out the door having joined the Glock family and couldn't be happier with my G36. Took it out on Sunday for its inaugural run and it performed true to it's reputation. Flawless. I was so so sad to see the XDs let me down because I know almost everyone else out there has been great with it, but I guess I just had bad luck. I will say that the recoil was exceptionally manageable on the XDs (identical to the taller, thicker G36) and it was wicked accurate for only a 3.3" barrel. I shot the bullseye out of my Shoot-N-C with the rounds that did go off. The grip was a bit small for my hand, but hey, that's what you buy a pocket gun for anyways. The G36 is a nice happy medium as I always IWB carry anyways. Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.

See less See more
#105 ·
ya im sitting in front of this stupid computer trying to figure out how to remove the oil, and or clean the spring assembly. I really should have listened to everyone else and saved 100 dollars and bought an ugly glock. ya know.
Sorry this things really ******* me off now.

#106 ·
I feel your pain. After owning an XD service that was/ is flawless, I decided to add an XDS to my collection. It turned out to be a mistake and I ultimately traded the pistol. My first day at the range was a nightmare, having run 200 rounds with a light strike with every magazine. I took it home, cleaned and lubed it as SA suggested and took it back out to the range the next day. No problems. Unfortunately, I have found that if I didn't keep this pistol well lubed (wet), I would consistently have problems. It just annoyed me and decided that their are better options out there for me. Good luck

#107 ·
Im wanting to do that but a friend of mine Trapper keeps telling me it will work out. He thinks the chewing up on the back side of the spring assembly can be fixed. He buffed out the jagged edges with a small buffing wheel today. Tomorrow will try to figrure out what is causing this. Im going to do the same later. Im not sure this things gonna work if i need it. ya know.

#108 ·
Reading through this thread is kind of interesting. I bought an XD40 when I worked armed security, back around the time Springfield started selling the XD line. I put countless rounds through it without a single problem EXCEPT for one of my magazines. The gun shot flawlessly with one mag but with the other it would jam, stovepipe, all kinds of problems. Turned out the spring was actually installed upside down. Once I figured that out I never had another problem. I ended up selling my XD but I loved mine so much I'm buying another one.

#109 ·
Bought my XDs on Tuesday, cleaned and oiled it that night. Wednesday went out and put 100 rounds of range ammo through it and 15 rounds of Federal HST. Not a single failure to fire or load.

I'm curious as to why these issues are happening for some and whether its a QA issue or the gun is very finicky about being cleaned and oiled.

#111 ·
or the gun is very finicky about being cleaned and oiled.
As mentioned above, that's unacceptable for an EDC pistol. I put up with that garbage years ago with my (now gone) Kel-Tec P3AT. Since I've retired and now live in cargo shorts/pants, I carry a G26 and never have any concern if it's oiled/greased "juuuuust right". I never even had that problem with my little PM9 when I carried it before the Glock.

#114 ·
Wet Lube Recommended by Springfield, not me

I would normally lube the gun lightly, too, and most people's firearms run great without the excessive 'wet lube' that Springfield recommends for those who report light strikes. There must be something different between part dimensions, tolerances, or something to leads to part damage and eventually light strikes. I'm glad you don't have these issues.

and I put grease on the slide.

mine runs fine.

steve

#115 ·
ok so my buddy trapper found the problem. Remove your take down pin. Pry with a small screwdriver and swing the pin up and down. It is held in by a spring, that wont go anywhere. When you do you will see the culprits that have been beating your spring assembly to death. 2 sharp and shiney sides that are cutting the spring assembly most of the time.

#118 ·
I just can't believe that you guys are saying that having to keep your carry gun clean and lubed is unacceptable??? I'm sorry but the pistol I carry to defend me and my family is always clean and lubed!!! It gets cleaned after a range trip and before it gets put back on my hip...and wet or well lubed does not mean oil dripping down your leg!!

#119 ·
No, the unacceptable part is that Springfield is recommending the gun be kept and shot 'wet', not like a typical lubrication on a well kept gun.

I commented back to the tech that recommended the change on my first complaint.

Ours are always clean and lubed, too, but they don't appear 'wet'.

#123 ·
love my xds 45

For the record. I have had zero problems with xds! I moved up from a 9mm and it is comfortable to carry, has eaten any ammo I have feed it. I did install some rubber Talon grips for better grip. Overall, very happy with my choice. Its not a range gun though, it does wear on you after about fifty rounds.

#138 ·
Springfield Armory is a Stand Up Company

I had issues with my XDS Bi-Tone and sent it back to Springfield twice. They paid to ship back and forth both times with no questions asked nor hard time given. The techs said they could not duplicate my problems (light pin strikes, off center pin strikes, slide not fully going into battery, slide getting stuck back after racking a new magazine). After the second return SA offered to exchange my XDS for an XDM. I figured the XDS was an early release of a new model so I jumped at the offer and got an XDM45 compact which works flawlessly so far. Still breaking it in.

Springfield's service is exemplary and keeps me coming back. My experience with my XDM's has been mainly positive (My XDM40 compact and my XDM45 did need to be sent to SA for some adjustments when I first got them (extractor issues both times I believe)). After the kinks were fixed my XDMs have worked flawlessly since.

The bottom line is SA stands behind their product and they took care of my problems to my satisfaction whether it was repair or replacement!

#125 ·
In my small world, I expect something I paid big bucks for to work. Anyone ever buy a new car that would not start ? I bought a new kel-tec .380 once. After about 30 rounds the slide flew forward. I sent it back and they treated me right. But when I got it back I sold it. I had lost trust in the product.

#126 ·
I have one of this family of guns and it's superb. I closely examined one of the model you bought and was very impressed and know a few people with no issues at all. Too bad the problem couldn't have been diagnosed. This report doesn't help determine any type of issue. The finest brands made have defects or issues. Been nice if you'd had better luck and able to get with customer service, might have missed out on owning a very nice little gun. I still want one.... I did install a drop in trigger kit on my XDm but it wasn't difficult and I was able to choose the spring set I liked best. Nothing on that gun can't be swapped and fixed in minutes.

#131 ·
Bummer on the XD experiences.

I have had several Springfield pistols with a couple XD models. I have had nothing but flawless performance from this brand as well as several close friends. I shoot at least once a week and mine have passed thousands of rounds. Never had an issue to contact SA on, but have had to contact on my other arms.

Generally speaking, SA, Glock, S&W, most of their guns will be excellent performers. All of them on occasion are going to put out a flawed piece or even a flawed model that requires refinement. Over the years I have seen all of them have issues at one point. Customer service is key, and this post is one of the very few that I have seen that leans to SA having poor service. All others seem to rate them very high.

#134 ·
Bought a XDs about a month ago. it was pre-owned so I got a good deal on it . I had a bought a XDm 9mm 2 months prior and loved the way it shot. The day I got the XDs , I took it to the range and put 100 rounds thru it without any problems. Since then I have put 500-600 rounds thru it without any problems. However , after 200 rounds thru my XDm 9mm I started getting the light strikes. Disappointed I put the gun up and searched the net for others with same problem and if they had any solutions. I found that some times the factory gums up the striker channel with lube that will cause the light strikes. I checked the XDs just to be sure and it was clean . I checked the XDm 9mm and it was all gunked up and dirty.... I cleaned out the striker channel in it and took it to the range and haven't had any problems with it anymore. Both guns are nearing or have surpassed 1000 rounds with no problems... for light strikes, check the striker channel to see if its gummed up.... seems from what I've read and and experienced thats usually the culprit. Hope this helps...

#140 ·
I'm gonna throw a "what if" out here, and may get flamed for it but:
Suppose with the "Back-strap Safety" the firing pin block may be falling during recoil? if the XD is not held clear up to the top of the dovetail on the handle? Possibility? That could wreak a lot of damage to the firing pin.

We recently purchased the XD9 Subcompact and the XD40 Subcompact for my wife, also the Ruger SR9c and the SR40c for myself. They have been flawless so far, only 100 rounds each.
I will be paying extra attention when I field strip and clean them next for the issues mentioned here.

#136 ·
Just the same off the cuff ideas about being my fault, or send it to SA? I put it on consignment. Not my problem anymore. Just saying. Either gonna get a kahr or glock, dont care which as long as it goes bang when i pull the trigger. p.s. I cant believe so many experts cant take the time to read ANY of the other pages of this thread. Pics and all. really? My buddy has a xdm 9mm and yes it fires perfectly. Along with my toyota that runs well. This experience here has been an eye opener to say the least. Now i know why this countrys ran by obamas. Now i know my spelling is bad, BUT i can make the EFFORT to read a whole thread before i type something.

Good god this country is doomed. :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.