Big Problems w/ My Little XDs - Page 7

Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

This is a discussion on Big Problems w/ My Little XDs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am really wondering why Springfield keeps telling users their gun needs to be soaking wet. I see that in the XD forums as well ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

I am really wondering why Springfield keeps telling users their gun needs to be soaking wet. I see that in the XD forums as well and it does not make sense and I wonder why they are saying this.

Of the 3 XDs that I have seen fired, one of which is mine; they were not wet. They did not have these light strike problems. I put 350 rounds into mine as it came out of the box, very light on oil, very light the way many poly guns run. I cleaned it and put very light 4 drops on the key parts of the rail/slide. Put 100 more thru it. No light strikes. No complaints from the other XDs users at the club.

However, I noticed something that is a design feature that needs considered. You can't rack the slide to load it from a non-chambered storage position every time and be reliable; like on a night stand or if your carrying in condition 3. It is written in the manual you must load from a slide lock release on a magazine, then top off and carry in condition 0. When racking the slide by hand, 1 out of 5 or 7 times the live round will jam on the feed ramp, in a reverse stove pipe. This is not a defect,but a design based on the short action, and why its part of the manual of arms. The more practice you do the better, but it still happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
    I am really wondering why Springfield keeps telling users their gun needs to be soaking wet. I see that in the XD forums as well and it does not make sense and I wonder why they are saying this.

Of the 3 XDs that I have seen fired, one of which is mine; they were not wet. They did not have these light strike problems. I put 350 rounds into mine as it came out of the box, very light on oil, very light the way many poly guns run. I cleaned it and put very light 4 drops on the key parts of the rail/slide. Put 100 more thru it. No light strikes. No complaints from the other XDs users at the club.

However, I noticed something that is a design feature that needs considered. You can't rack the slide to load it from a non-chambered storage position every time and be reliable; like on a night stand or if your carrying in condition 3. It is written in the manual you must load from a slide lock release on a magazine, then top off and carry in condition 0. When racking the slide by hand, 1 out of 5 or 7 times the live round will jam on the feed ramp, in a reverse stove pipe. This is not a defect,but a design based on the short action, and why its part of the manual of arms. The more practice you do the better, but it still happens.
    I'm not sure where people get the idea that the gun needs to be soaking wet. The owners manual only mentions light lubrication at a few key points on the gun. The striker channel is supposed to be left dry according to the manual.

Racking the slide is listed as an alternative method for making the gun ready to fire. On page 15 of the manual it points this out along with the importance of pulling the slide all the way back and then releasing. It also mentions that it's important to let the slide go and not "ride'' it forward.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimneb View Post
    I'm not sure where people get the idea that the gun needs to be soaking wet. The owners manual only mentions light lubrication at a few key points on the gun. The striker channel is supposed to be left dry according to the manual.

Racking the slide is listed as an alternative method for making the gun ready to fire. On page 15 of the manual it points this out along with the importance of pulling the slide all the way back and then releasing. It also mentions that it's important to let the slide go and not "ride'' it forward.
    Because its a problem gun......I can run the crap out of pretty much any poly gun
    DRY......I dont but I can,Glock all day long,shoot my SR9 i cleaned once since its new and it runs
    like a champ..The XDs is a primidonna and for personal protection folks want a gun that goes bang
    every time

Sorry to read of your XD problems OP and I'm even more disappointed that Springfield wouldn't fix them.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Well im still going to try my luck with my problem xds. Going to the range wednesday with a white box from walmart. Ill post pics of the back of the rounds after im done. And maybe some of the gun soaking wet with oil running out of it before i start shooting. To tell you the truth i love the way this thing feels and handles. Little sore on the finger action but im 5`11 250lbs. And feals good ya know. Like you got a handfull when you fire Lawman ammo ya know.
    I just wish it would fire everytime i pull the trigger.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    huh. who woulda thought. Its no secret that I dont think much of the XD line, but Springfield does have a decent customer service dept.

^^^^^^Me neither^^^^^^^^^^

Glad I'm a S&W follower.

Sorry you had troubles.
    I guess I am fortunate to have decent luck when it comes to buying firearms.
    Heck, I even have a Kel Tec P11 that has not given me any trouble.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Running XDS wet

Quote Originally Posted by jimneb View Post

Jimneb,

I wouldn't have tried it normally, I told Springfield I have never run a 'wet' gun before in my 30+ years of shooting; competitive, combat, etc.. Not to mention it doesn't make any logical or useful sense to have a wet gun under concealment. I told the guy at Springfield I hoped it would only be during break-in, because it doesn't make sense to have a 'wet' gun to permanently print on your clothes!

Anyway, that was the only reason I did it, because Springfield Warranty Service told me to...it did reduce the light strikes, but didn't fix it.

Stumbled on to this late. I have 2 XDs. Never had a failure to X. Don't know what to say other than you you should have given them a chance to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by douglanders View Post
    Jimneb,

I wouldn't have tried it normally, I told Springfield I have never run a 'wet' gun before in my 30+ years of shooting; competitive, combat, etc.. Not to mention it doesn't make any logical or useful sense to have a wet gun under concealment. I told the guy at Springfield I hoped it would only be during break-in, because it doesn't make sense to have a 'wet' gun to permanently print on your clothes!

Anyway, that was the only reason I did it, because Springfield Warranty Service told me to...it did reduce the light strikes, but didn't fix it.
    It seems that several people have been told the same thing when talking to SA on the phone. I haven't had any issues so I have been following the suggestions in the manual.

Hopefully you will get things worked out at some point.

i totally understand what the OP is saying... when i buy something that is suppose to work and it doesn't, i won't even give it a 2nd chance. It's a refund.. I would hate to buy a brand new corvette and the tranny breaks down after 100 miles. It may be a rare case, but that still wouldn't change my mind.

if i bought a brand new TV and breaks down within a few days, I'm refunding that TV. Not even going to do an exchange for a new same model .

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Sucks that you had issues, however you gave them 0 chance to make it right, therefore any loss of respect is perceived, not earned.
    Sorry, but if I spent a bunch of hard earned dollars on something and it's malfunctioning crap, as delivered, then there is a DEFINITE loss of respect for that company, its products and, most certainly its quality control. And, I don't care if it's an "easy" fix like buying an extra power mag spring or something. It shouldn't be like that in the first place.

ok, so i went to a diffarent gun rang today. I bought a box of ammo there. And explained about my failure to fire every magazine and how, i sent it back to SA and them telling me i didnt lube it properly. He said its your spring assembly. I said what? He said that he had fixed many xds`s and the spring assembly is a common problem. I said as in? And he stated this and i quote. [ if the spring assembly gets just 1 drop of oil on it, it acts just like a hydrolic cylinder. All kinds of wild things happen. Hes even seen the assembly fly apart from the compression.] I guess the tolerances are to tight. And after firing mine at there rang i did notice on some of the misfires and light primer strikes the Rod or piston was sticking out atleast a quarter inch at times. Best way to describe it. Sorry

This does explain the chewed up end of the spring assembly. as in its compressing and vise versa. ie. doesnt want to compress, or extend when needed.

i can give you the guys name and number if you like? He did say to me lube the hell out of these guns everywhere. But dont get ANY oil ANYWHERE NEAR. that spring assembly.

ya im sitting in front of this stupid computer trying to figure out how to remove the oil, and or clean the spring assembly. I really should have listened to everyone else and saved 100 dollars and bought an ugly glock. ya know.
    Sorry this things really ******* me off now.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links