Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

This is a discussion on Big Problems w/ My Little XDs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kzrider ya im sitting in front of this stupid computer trying to figure out how to remove the oil, and or clean ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

Quote Originally Posted by kzrider View Post
    ya im sitting in front of this stupid computer trying to figure out how to remove the oil, and or clean the spring assembly. I really should have listened to everyone else and saved 100 dollars and bought an ugly glock. ya know.
    Sorry this things really ******* me off now.
    I feel your pain. After owning an XD service that was/ is flawless, I decided to add an XDS to my collection. It turned out to be a mistake and I ultimately traded the pistol. My first day at the range was a nightmare, having run 200 rounds with a light strike with every magazine. I took it home, cleaned and lubed it as SA suggested and took it back out to the range the next day. No problems. Unfortunately, I have found that if I didn't keep this pistol well lubed (wet), I would consistently have problems. It just annoyed me and decided that their are better options out there for me. Good luck

2. Remove Ads

Im wanting to do that but a friend of mine Trapper keeps telling me it will work out. He thinks the chewing up on the back side of the spring assembly can be fixed. He buffed out the jagged edges with a small buffing wheel today. Tomorrow will try to figrure out what is causing this. Im going to do the same later. Im not sure this things gonna work if i need it. ya know.

Reading through this thread is kind of interesting. I bought an XD40 when I worked armed security, back around the time Springfield started selling the XD line. I put countless rounds through it without a single problem EXCEPT for one of my magazines. The gun shot flawlessly with one mag but with the other it would jam, stovepipe, all kinds of problems. Turned out the spring was actually installed upside down. Once I figured that out I never had another problem. I ended up selling my XD but I loved mine so much I'm buying another one.

Bought my XDs on Tuesday, cleaned and oiled it that night. Wednesday went out and put 100 rounds of range ammo through it and 15 rounds of Federal HST. Not a single failure to fire or load.

I'm curious as to why these issues are happening for some and whether its a QA issue or the gun is very finicky about being cleaned and oiled.
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

As I stated in my post a few above, my experience was that the gun ran fine as long as it was very well lubed and clean. For me, this was not practical or acceptable in an everyday carry pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaramis View Post
    or the gun is very finicky about being cleaned and oiled.
    As mentioned above, that's unacceptable for an EDC pistol. I put up with that garbage years ago with my (now gone) Kel-Tec P3AT. Since I've retired and now live in cargo shorts/pants, I carry a G26 and never have any concern if it's oiled/greased "juuuuust right". I never even had that problem with my little PM9 when I carried it before the Glock.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

I sure like the looks and feel of this gun. I think I would just by some aftermarket mags for it.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I run mine with very light lubrication

and I put grease on the slide.

mine runs fine.

steve

Wet Lube Recommended by Springfield, not me

I would normally lube the gun lightly, too, and most people's firearms run great without the excessive 'wet lube' that Springfield recommends for those who report light strikes. There must be something different between part dimensions, tolerances, or something to leads to part damage and eventually light strikes. I'm glad you don't have these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post

mine runs fine.

steve

ok so my buddy trapper found the problem. Remove your take down pin. Pry with a small screwdriver and swing the pin up and down. It is held in by a spring, that wont go anywhere. When you do you will see the culprits that have been beating your spring assembly to death. 2 sharp and shiney sides that are cutting the spring assembly most of the time.
    Drivin_Dave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post

mine runs fine.

steve
    I rented one at my range today. This is exactly how the maintain there's. Ran flawlessly (and we know how range rentals get treated ). Traded my Sig P238 in on apparently the last XD-s in my town. I'm sure if I have any difficulties, I'll reference others' posts here, thanks everyone for sharing. I'd rather hear about a few problems in a particular model (especially the newer ones), than to hear nothing but fanboys/girls with only glowing reports.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

i wish you the best of luck on your purchase. i hope you get a good one. They either work or they dont straight out of the box bud.
    MamaMaria likes this.

I just can't believe that you guys are saying that having to keep your carry gun clean and lubed is unacceptable??? I'm sorry but the pistol I carry to defend me and my family is always clean and lubed!!! It gets cleaned after a range trip and before it gets put back on my hip...and wet or well lubed does not mean oil dripping down your leg!!

No, the unacceptable part is that Springfield is recommending the gun be kept and shot 'wet', not like a typical lubrication on a well kept gun.

I commented back to the tech that recommended the change on my first complaint.

Ours are always clean and lubed, too, but they don't appear 'wet'.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I just can't believe that you guys are saying that having to keep your carry gun clean and lubed is unacceptable??? I'm sorry but the pistol I carry to defend me and my family is always clean and lubed!!! It gets cleaned after a range trip and before it gets put back on my hip...and wet or well lubed does not mean oil dripping down your leg!!

Thanks, kzrider, I'll check mine out tomorrow when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by kzrider View Post
    ok so my buddy trapper found the problem. Remove your take down pin. Pry with a small screwdriver and swing the pin up and down. It is held in by a spring, that wont go anywhere. When you do you will see the culprits that have been beating your spring assembly to death. 2 sharp and shiney sides that are cutting the spring assembly most of the time.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links