Defensive Carry banner

Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

97K views 162 replies 80 participants last post by  Woodwrkr221 
#1 ·
I want to start off by saying that I'm not usually a "gun basher". I understand that guns are machines and any machine can break down (including whatever machine made my SA XDs). With that said, I bought the supposed gun of the year, the XDs on Friday. I was like a 12 year old kid I was so excited to get my hands on one. I'd been doing my research on forums, reputable magazines, YouTube, and had talked to 3 guys I know who have them. All gave sterling reviews and I couldn't wait to get mine and throw some lead down range. Once at the Range on Saturday, my balloon got popped real quick! I had a failure to fire about every 5th round. I would pull back the slide enough to cock the gun and it would go bang after the next trigger pull. I inspected almost all of the spent brass from the FTF's and they would have a light firing pin strike right next to a heavier strike. I used 3 different kinds of ammo and put a total of 220 round through it with the same problem every 5th round or so. I took it back to the guy I bought if from and got my 90% refund (minus 10% for restocking fee) which I was happy about. I then went straight to the Glock 36. I fondled the Kahr CW45 and the PM45 but the CW45 was too tall for my liking and the PM45 was too expensive for my budget. I walked out the door having joined the Glock family and couldn't be happier with my G36. Took it out on Sunday for its inaugural run and it performed true to it's reputation. Flawless. I was so so sad to see the XDs let me down because I know almost everyone else out there has been great with it, but I guess I just had bad luck. I will say that the recoil was exceptionally manageable on the XDs (identical to the taller, thicker G36) and it was wicked accurate for only a 3.3" barrel. I shot the bullseye out of my Shoot-N-C with the rounds that did go off. The grip was a bit small for my hand, but hey, that's what you buy a pocket gun for anyways. The G36 is a nice happy medium as I always IWB carry anyways. Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.
Sucks that you had issues, however you gave them 0 chance to make it right, therefore any loss of respect is perceived, not earned.

#4 ·
I disagree. You can have a loss of respect for the quality of ones product without giving them the chance to fix a issue. You can't justifiably have a loss of respect for the customer service because there wasn't a chance given.

#13 ·
Ruger and Taurus, both ended up running flawlessly when all was said and done, and neither cost me a dime to have fixed.

I give Ruger credit for fixing it right the first time, while Taurus on the other hand 'adjusted' instead of 'replaced' an ejector even though that was stated as the issue... 3rd time it was replaced.

#11 ·
Just curious... did you thoroughly clean and lube the XDs before taking it to the range?
SA test reports on returned XDs pistols indicated that all of the units submitted for testing worked as designed after being properly lubed?

I don't own an XDs, but my 4" XD-40, with thousands of rounds through it, has yet to show me a single malfunction.

Reactions: CharlesMorri
#12 ·
I had an XD .45 Compact that wouldn't run reliably enough for me to keep.

Had a Glock 21 that I ran the same ammo in, and it ran rings around the XD.

Traded the XD for a mint condition Bulgarian Makarov and never looked back.

#151 ·
I had the exact opposite events with mine. The Springfield XDM's, the XDS, The Colt New Agent, = FLAWLESS, the Glock 21, and 36 Not So Much, about 30% failure for both. I lost a lot of confidence in Glock.

Shoot Straight, Keep your Powder Dry

#14 ·
There has been a few threads here and there on different gun forums with people with the new XDS .45ACP 3.3" stating some occasional (no rhyme or reason to the pattern) failure-to-fires (resulting in light primer strikes). I'm almost wondering if SA has chosen too light of a spring(s) in the captured recoil rod assemble for the new XDS. Almost like the gun is not going fully into battery every so often after the slide is returned back to rest by the recoil spring and causing the light strikes on the primers (firing slightly out of battery per say, since the breach face is not completely up against the case's primer). Strange.

#96 ·
huh. who woulda thought. Its no secret that I dont think much of the XD line, but Springfield does have a decent customer service dept.

^^^^^^Me neither^^^^^^^^^^

Glad I'm a S&W follower.

Sorry you had troubles.
I guess I am fortunate to have decent luck when it comes to buying firearms.
Heck, I even have a Kel Tec P11 that has not given me any trouble.

#16 ·
I bought an XD9 SC for my wife. Shoots great, except she really has a problem working the slide due to spring tension. It fits me a bit more comfortable than my Gen 4 G19. The XD sits in the night stand on her side of the bed unused. She prefers my LCP.

Regardless, when I plop down the cash for a name-brand firearm, it is my expectation that it works right out of the box. A malfunctioning handgun you intend to stake your life on is like a cheating spouse - can you really trust either one again? Of course, thats just me.

#17 ·
I started a thread about a week ago and I had the same issues. Only I never personally had the issues when I shot the gun, my brother did and the issues are identical to yours. I opened up the firing pin block and to my surprise there was oil and gunk everywhere! I dont know about you but when I got mine it was oddly over oiled. That could have been part of the issue but nevertheless on the XD forums they talk about the exact same issues you have and most of them sent it back and they work fine now. I would try getting all the oil out of the firing pin channel and then oil the slide really generously. I noticed that a few times when my brother shot it, it was just ever so slightly out of battery, enough to cause the light primer strikes I assume.

I would try that and then if the problem persists, give springfield a call and send it in.

I also noticed that before breaking down and cleaning the firing pin channel, the pin would move slightly and when pushed down it would feel "stuck" if you pulled up

#44 ·
THIS! I have a feeling that many XD-S complaints are due to the operator not field stripping and cleaning the gunk out of the firing pin channel area. Yeah, it would be neat if all guns operated straight from the factory case...but sometimes one has to field strip and lube...first!

#18 ·
On the XD forum there also is a thread regarding light strikes. Shows some pictures of the firing pin and some impact type damage on a collar. It is a new gun so maybe this is a small bug to be worked out. None of this has deterred my interest in the gun. I will just wait until they have been out a while. I have used Springfield customer service and it was a very good experience.

#19 ·
Just got my Xds last week and I am having the same problems with the light strikes. 8 out of 100 rounds failed to fire. I have cleaned it up and am going back to the range tomorrow to see what happens. I will give Springfield a chance to make it right if need be but this is my first Springfield so needless to say I am less than impressed. I like the feel and size of the gun but I dont trust it at all and that will take a few hundred rounds without any problems. I own and have owned several Glocks through the years and have never had one fail to go bang. Looks like for the time being the G33 will stay by my side.

#20 ·
Did you disassmble and clean the gun beofre going to the range , have read on the xd forum, that the firing pin channel is oiled heavily, and causes that problem, just something i read ...thought i would pass it along....

#21 ·
I'm just waiting for the Kahr CM45. That will be in my waistband the month it comes out! I love all the Kahrs I've owned and would recommend them to everyone. They make the guns we only wish Glock would make as far as a reliable, thin, lightweight carry piece.

#24 ·
Hey Guys, In regard to the FTF and Light Strike issue:

This is due to a few factors. The XDS is a completely different gun than all previous XD and XDM models. It is a small frame 45 with tight tolerances. Any limp wristing in the weapon will cause a Failure to Fire. The light strike that you are seeing, are usually off center. This is due to the slide not returning fully into battery. If you pay close attention to how you are shooting, and check between each round, you might find that the slide is just slightly out of battery. The gun will still reset the trigger, and it will still fire, but not completely hit the primer.

Solution:
As per Springfield Armory: Clean the weapon, including the striker chamber. Get all that gunk out. Then Lube the slide rails, a light coating of oil on the barrel, the top of the barrel, on the slide where the barrel touches the side wall of the slide, the feed ramp... basically any metal on metal friction points. The one thing I noticed on this weapon is that it tends to like more rather than less lubrication. DO NOT LUBE THE STRIKER CHANNEL.

Try a thumbs forward grip and make sure that recoil isn't getting the best of you. This should solve your issues.

#26 ·
I don't post much on here, I lurk a ton. But I've got an XDs, have had it since late May, my serial number starts with a "5" so I know it's not one of the first issued, but it is the first one available in my area to my knowledge.

I've fired in excess of 1000 rounds out of mine, not one FTF or light strike in the entire lot, Defense ammo, +P, Reloads, and some IDPA light loads - This gun is my EDC, and I'll tell you I am impressed with mine. Not a single issue, and it gets cleaned once a week by hand, and once a month in my sonic cleaner.

I did pull it out of the box and clean it with CLP, I use an air compressor set at 25psi to blow out the excess cleaner and oil before I reassemble. With several other SA weapons in my collection, I will say not a single one has had issues from my 5.25 Comp 9mm (over 10,000 rounds) to my 1911 GI A1 (in excess of 16,000 rounds) - no issues, the 1911 gets a new recoil spring every 3500 rounds if it needs it or not.

We shoot a metric F ton in this household, one of the benefits of duel income no kids, and a wife that likes to run brass as much as I do. We shoot like clock work once a week, and more often than not twice a week. I think your issue could be chalked up to a bad apple, and IMO you cut the process short by not taking advantage of the exceptional warranty and service available through Springfield.

For each bad example you find, you will also find 30 people that don't have any issues, and never post about how great this gun really is. Game changer for me, I truly hope others dont base an opinion of this stellar weapon off your experience.

NachO

#28 ·
When I first bought my Ruger SR9c a few months ago, I took it out to the range and put about a 100 rounds through it. I had all sorts of FTFs. I took it back to the store first chance I got. One of the guys that works there took it out back to their berm and fired 2 or 3 magazines off without a single issue. Turns out it was just user error. After learning a better grip and stance, I never had a problem with it.

Now of course, the XDs and the SR9c are two different weapons, but the situation may be the same for some people that are experiencing these malfunctions.

#29 ·
I've got an XD 9 subcompact, XD 45 compact, and an XDm 45 compact... no less than 3000 rounds across them with zero failures. They are some of the best guns I own, period. Sounds like the usual 'new gun' woes to me. We've seen Kimber and Glock pull this in the past few years too, so nobody is immune. I've been looking at the XDs for a while, but I'm giving it another year before I seriously consider biting... I have too many on the list to buy, lol.

#30 ·
Sucks that you have had troubles,give springfield a chance to make it right .I have delt with their customer service dept over a small issue with my 1911 and they did a good job.As far as the XD goes i bought a XD45 the original design back in 2007 i think it was and the only time it has failed to fire is when i fail to seat the mag correctly on reloads.

#31 ·
Same here,,,, I have 3 XD and one XDM. Never an issue. Sorry that you have. One of the reasons I chose Springfield is their outstanding customer service just in case. Good thing is I have never had to use them with a XD model. I have with one of their 1911's. They make it right. I also agree with with the comments on the XDS. Completely different gun than XD or XDM. Trust all my Springfields with my life.

#32 ·
ITS YOUR FAULT! ! !

i got my XDs and it was a lemon
Shipped it back and it was shipped back to me and greased up like a wheelbearing !!!!!!
again a LEMON.......traded it for a Kahr which rocks!@ Springer cant even copy a glock right

Springer claimed it was ME and I dont know how to shoot their SPECIAL 45,quote unquote.....
Well,if it wont work for me and it wont work for my buddy and it wont work for my wife we dont want any.......

buybye

The MGT at Springfeild has a lot of balls telling there inside people to blame everyone but the gun
and thats LAME,im just glad to be rid of it and the whole mess....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.