Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

This is a discussion on Big Problems w/ My Little XDs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to start off by saying that I'm not usually a "gun basher". I understand that guns are machines and any machine can break ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 163
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

  1. #1
    Member Array indykid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    137

    Big Problems w/ My Little XDs

    I want to start off by saying that I'm not usually a "gun basher". I understand that guns are machines and any machine can break down (including whatever machine made my SA XDs). With that said, I bought the supposed gun of the year, the XDs on Friday. I was like a 12 year old kid I was so excited to get my hands on one. I'd been doing my research on forums, reputable magazines, YouTube, and had talked to 3 guys I know who have them. All gave sterling reviews and I couldn't wait to get mine and throw some lead down range. Once at the Range on Saturday, my balloon got popped real quick! I had a failure to fire about every 5th round. I would pull back the slide enough to cock the gun and it would go bang after the next trigger pull. I inspected almost all of the spent brass from the FTF's and they would have a light firing pin strike right next to a heavier strike. I used 3 different kinds of ammo and put a total of 220 round through it with the same problem every 5th round or so. I took it back to the guy I bought if from and got my 90% refund (minus 10% for restocking fee) which I was happy about. I then went straight to the Glock 36. I fondled the Kahr CW45 and the PM45 but the CW45 was too tall for my liking and the PM45 was too expensive for my budget. I walked out the door having joined the Glock family and couldn't be happier with my G36. Took it out on Sunday for its inaugural run and it performed true to it's reputation. Flawless. I was so so sad to see the XDs let me down because I know almost everyone else out there has been great with it, but I guess I just had bad luck. I will say that the recoil was exceptionally manageable on the XDs (identical to the taller, thicker G36) and it was wicked accurate for only a 3.3" barrel. I shot the bullseye out of my Shoot-N-C with the rounds that did go off. The grip was a bit small for my hand, but hey, that's what you buy a pocket gun for anyways. The G36 is a nice happy medium as I always IWB carry anyways. Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.
    sonnycrocket and kzrider like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't hate Springfield but I have lost a good bit of respect for them.
    Sucks that you had issues, however you gave them 0 chance to make it right, therefore any loss of respect is perceived, not earned.

  4. #3
    New Member Array jeepman1320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hurst, Texas
    Posts
    7
    Get extra power magazine springs and see if that solves the problem. I had a similar problem with my XD45 and so have several of m fellow Officers. Changed mag springs and problem was solved. Weak mag springs are the XD's Achilles Heal and is well documented...

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Sucks that you had issues, however you gave them 0 chance to make it right, therefore any loss of respect is perceived, not earned.
    I disagree. You can have a loss of respect for the quality of ones product without giving them the chance to fix a issue. You can't justifiably have a loss of respect for the customer service because there wasn't a chance given.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,830
    Given that Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty and a good rep for customer service, I probably would have sent it back to them with instructions to make it right, but I understand your experience.
    Hakkaa päälle!

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,146
    I would have had the Dealer send it back and have it fixed. At our store we buy from Davidson's. They overnight us a replacement if it has a problem.
    Philly Boy likes this.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I disagree. You can have a loss of respect for the quality of ones product without giving them the chance to fix a issue. You can't justifiably have a loss of respect for the customer service because there wasn't a chance given.
    Intended action vs a one off slip is hardly a reason to lose respect for an entire company, if that were the case there would be no companies worth your respect. Glock has had the same issue or similar, yet it's OK to buy one of those? That line of thinking makes no sense whatsoever.

    I've sent a new gun back 3 times in 3 months under warranty before it worked right - in the end I was satisfied, because they made it right, and on their dime. That's what warranties are for, the chance that something is not quite right with a product, it gives you a chance to have it fixed and working properly, vs taking a 10% loss from returning it.

    To each their own.

  9. #8
    Member Array indykid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I disagree. You can have a loss of respect for the quality of ones product without giving them the chance to fix a issue. You can't justifiably have a loss of respect for the customer service because there wasn't a chance given.
    +1 is all regards. I didn't mention that I had 3 FTE's and lockback issues with an XD9 4" too. I think Springfield has some quality control issues to to work though.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Intended action vs a one off slip is hardly a reason to lose respect for an entire company, if that were the case there would be no companies worth your respect. Glock has had the same issue or similar, yet it's OK to buy one of those? That line of thinking makes no sense whatsoever.

    I've sent a new gun back 3 times in 3 months under warranty before it worked right - in the end I was satisfied, because they made it right, and on their dime. That's what warranties are for, the chance that something is not quite right with a product, it gives you a chance to have it fixed and working properly, vs taking a 10% loss from returning it.

    To each their own.
    I didn't say that it wasn't ok to buy one after a issue. I said that it's perfectly fine to lose some respect for a company when their product fails out of the box.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  11. #10
    Member Array indykid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    137
    What guns did you have to send back Thunder71?

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member
    Array whoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    1,258
    Just curious... did you thoroughly clean and lube the XDs before taking it to the range?
    SA test reports on returned XDs pistols indicated that all of the units submitted for testing worked as designed after being properly lubed?

    I don't own an XDs, but my 4" XD-40, with thousands of rounds through it, has yet to show me a single malfunction.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------

  13. #12
    Member Array lowercase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    415
    I had an XD .45 Compact that wouldn't run reliably enough for me to keep.

    Had a Glock 21 that I ran the same ammo in, and it ran rings around the XD.

    Traded the XD for a mint condition Bulgarian Makarov and never looked back.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    What guns did you have to send back Thunder71?
    Ruger and Taurus, both ended up running flawlessly when all was said and done, and neither cost me a dime to have fixed.

    I give Ruger credit for fixing it right the first time, while Taurus on the other hand 'adjusted' instead of 'replaced' an ejector even though that was stated as the issue... 3rd time it was replaced.

  15. #14
    Member Array AZGlock13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    113
    There has been a few threads here and there on different gun forums with people with the new XDS .45ACP 3.3" stating some occasional (no rhyme or reason to the pattern) failure-to-fires (resulting in light primer strikes). I'm almost wondering if SA has chosen too light of a spring(s) in the captured recoil rod assemble for the new XDS. Almost like the gun is not going fully into battery every so often after the slide is returned back to rest by the recoil spring and causing the light strikes on the primers (firing slightly out of battery per say, since the breach face is not completely up against the case's primer). Strange.

  16. #15
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,724
    huh. who woulda thought. Its no secret that I dont think much of the XD line, but Springfield does have a decent customer service dept.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

problems with springfield xds
,
problems with xds 45
,
springfield xds 45 problems
,
springfield xds issues
,

springfield xds magazine

,
springfield xds magazines
,

springfield xds problems

,

xds 45 problems

,

xds magazine

,
xds magazines
,

xds problems

,
xds review
Click on a term to search for related topics.