My new toy ... FNX-9, with short review

This is a discussion on My new toy ... FNX-9, with short review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just figured I would share a little info on my newest toy, the FNX-9. It's my first FN, so I dont have a whole lot ...

Just figured I would share a little info on my newest toy, the FNX-9. It's my first FN, so I dont have a whole lot of experience with them. I've shot a few (including the .308 SCAR oh yeah, its that good, and an FNP-9). I typically carry a Kahr 9mm, and wanted another carry option with higher capacity. I've had the Glocks and XD's, but sold them. They're great guns and I love them, but i wasnt IN love with them.

So here I am holding my buddies FNX. It has about 100 rounds through it. First things first, and i'll start with the good:

It feels amazing in my hand. The small beavertail is the perfect size, and the bore axis is quite low. Not quick Glock low, but low nonetheless. It's lower than the FNP-9 by a good bit. I find that the controls are completely ambidextrous. The mag release, slide release and safety/decocker are all ambi. This is good since I'm a lefty. I play with it for a while and find it to feel very high quality. The fit and finish is great.

Capacity: 17+1. Nice job, FN. Also comes with 3 mags. Very cool.

Hammer fired: Nice. Second strike capability, plus some gun fight options for blocking the trigger or hammer in a hand-hand encounter. I love my striker fired guns, but I also love hammer fired. Each has its merits and demerits, and again, not trying to get into a war about it.

Lots of backstrap options. Checkered, smooth, fat, thin... It's easy to find the perfect fit and feel. The downside is that once you find the one that works, it does not look like part of the gun. It's obvious that its an interchangeable piece. Oh well.

Accessory rail for tac light, laser, bayonet, or grenade launcher

Big ole 3 dot sights. Front dot is monster size. Very quick target pickup.

Now for some of the bad:

What in holy hell was FN thinking with this magazine spring?? Loading all 17 rounds is a physically and emotionally draining experience. I checked into this, and found that the magazine spring is the same part number as a Chevy Cavalier's front coil spring. I've got to find my speed loader. Never had an issue with the Glocks or XD's in this area. They are tight, but this is pushing it.

It's a total bear to clean. Buy stock in Q-tip if you purchase one of these. There are more nooks and crannies in this sucker than an English muffin.

The mag release is pretty tight. You have to really pop that sucker to get the mag to drop. It'll break in im sure.

The trigger. Huh? It feels like its made out of rubber bands and dish sponges when in DA mode. The single action is pretty nice though, and has a fairly short reset. It will take me a while to get used to the DA pull. I do tend to be over sensitive to triggers though. The only triggers I immediately liked were Kahr, Sig DA/SA, and Para LDA. All others took me some getting used to. This is no exception.

Magazine disconnect. I have mixed feelings. I like it some days, and dont other days. Input and thoughts on this are welcome, as I'm still on the fence. I know the pro's and con's, so opinions are most helpful.

All in all, I think this is a great defensive pistol. I put a few hundred rounds through it, and it's extremely accurate. It's a great shooter. The trigger will take some time to get used to, but thats ok with me. I ended up working out a partial trade / cash deal with my buddy, and IMO I ended doing extremely well. Walked away for about a total of $400. He gave me all the box / paperwork that it comes with, as well as a Serpa level II holster (wont use it though). The box is nice. Good quality and has the molded cutouts for mags etc.. Who cares though. Boxes all end up in a pile anyway

To sum it up. Great feeling and shooting pistol. Quality construction and fit/finish. Weird trigger, but i'll get used to it. I'm very happy with the aquisition. This is a great quality gun for a lot less money than one would expect.

Questions and comments welcome, so long as it doesnt start a caliber war or a hammer fired / striker fired war. Thanks!

GH
    About the only thing I can make any suggestions on is the tight magazine. What I've found that helps (from a suggestion that someone else gave me) is to load as many as you can in it. Let it sit a few days. Then try loading one or two more. Keep this up until you have the maximum loaded. Let it sit for a week or so. Empty it out by hand. Start all over again. I think that in time the magazine will start to load easier. It worked for me. If it doesn't work out then load it as full as you can & that will then become your maximum load. That would be hateful to me knowing I have a 17 round mag but I can only get 14 in it but what can you do? There might be a lighter spring available. By putting that in you run the risk of a misfeed, though.

Good luck!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

They're all loaded with 17 now, but it was a real pain in the behind without a speed loader. I'll fill/empty the mags a few times i'm sure it will loosen up a little. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a FNP40, great gun but the DA trigger action is as you noted. I have been thinking about sending it to this guy, he does trigger work on the FNP and FNX. Seems pretty reasonable.

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I have a FNP40, great gun but the DA trigger action is as you noted. I have been thinking about sending it to this guy, he does trigger work on the FNP and FNX. Seems pretty reasonable.

Great info, thanks! The DA pull is what I would want to change, and it looks like this guy does not change the DA pull. He works the SA pull, which although isnt perfect, isnt at all bad. I'll give this FN a few hundred more rounds to see if I get used to it. If not, I may send it to this guy. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post

I hate to be the guy who brings this thread up sometimes, but you may want to read this:

Caution -- Bill Springfield trigger work - M4Carbine.net Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I hate to be the guy who brings this thread up sometimes, but you may want to read this:

Caution -- Bill Springfield trigger work - M4Carbine.net Forums
    It's all good. Cant make an informed decision without both sides of the story. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Thanks for the information, makes me rethink. It is a firearm, not a golf club. Has to be perfect 100% of the time.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

UPDATE!

This FNX is no longer trusted for carry duty. I took it to the range today and ran it pretty hot. I put a few hundred rounds through it without a break. It got pretty hot, but I didnt think it was much of a big deal. I was running magazine after magazine (thus, it was always in single action). Here's the problem. After a few hundred rounds, and an admittedly hot gun (quick lubed once after 250ish rounds...just so I can sleep at night), I noticed a problem. The double action trigger was now mush. It wasnt stellar to begin with (rubber bands and dish sponge), but now it was almost useless. I could pull the trigger all the way against the trigger guard, and it would delay for a split second before firing. I have no idea why, or what might cause this, but it felt as if it just got mushy. After it cooled off a little, the double action was back to normal.

Either way, I love the gun, but it wont be in the carry rotation anymore. At least not until it gets diagnosed and fixed.

I have to ask. What magazine disconnect? Mine does not have that feature and FN USA does not offer it so I am confused. Are you sure about the model number? I cannot comment on the trigger/heat issue but I do carry my FNX on occasion. However I have never shot more than 100 rounds through it at a single range session yet as I do with some of my other guns but have stored it in my car safe in the Florida sun for hours without problem. I am not going to worry about it unless I start carrying over a 100 rounds on me when I carry it. :) I have a few high end guns that have to have their feed ramp cleaned after 100 rounds but I do not see that as a carry problem.

Links