Beretta Px4 Compact in 9mm. Any info?

This is a discussion on Beretta Px4 Compact in 9mm. Any info? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been searching for another EDC (winter version probably) and I've pretty well settled on the Beretta Px4 Storm compact in 9mm. I'm not comfortable ...

Thread: Beretta Px4 Compact in 9mm. Any info?

Beretta Px4 Compact in 9mm. Any info?

I've been searching for another EDC (winter version probably) and I've pretty well settled on the Beretta Px4 Storm compact in 9mm. I'm not comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked (and I don't want to start an argument about how safe that is or how you can get used to it after a while. I may buy a Colt Defender next and give it a try, but currently I'm liking the Beretta Px4). I especially enjoy the safety-decocker it has as well as the reputation for reliability.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's owned one, shot one, carried one. I'm sure there are some negative aspects to it, so if you have any of those, chime in also.

Thanks. But hurry with your comments because I may go pick it up tomorrow. It's NIB and they want $539 for it. I checked on Gunbroker and Grabagun. Their prices are less, but by the time you add shipping and FFL and tax, you're at about the same price.

Thanks so much for you input.

2. Remove Ads

I have a PX4 9mm in the Sub compact and absolutely love it. It is a great shooting gun, very smooth and accurate, have fired over 500 rounds without a single malfunction but in the SC. I have to use the mags with the pinky extender as I have big hands but other than that I love it. I also have a full size PX4 in .40 and it is wonderful too. I handled a compact 9mm when I was getting my .40 and liked it a lot. I am a fan of the safety decocker (I know many people here aren't) and primarily use mine for home defense (Momma gets the SC 9mm with a rail mount laser and me the .40) as I have a LC9 for EDC and she has her LCR.

I bought a 9mm PX4 Storm compact last year and I've been very impressed with its ability to eat and shoot all types of ammo. In fact, it has never failed to fire or stovepiped in the short time I've owned it. Not once. I've concealed carried it on a few occasions, but my main edc weapon is a Sig P238. This Beretta is primarily my nightstand gun and I sleep well because of it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Can the trigger be worked on?

I found a Px4 compact today NIB at Bass Pro Shops. I had to pull teeth to be allowed to take the trigger lock off so I could test the trigger. When I finally got to do it, I hated it. The double action pull was long, but not too heavy. The thing I didn't like about it was the reset. After pulling the trigger, I kept it back and racked the slide. Then I slowly released the trigger until I heard a click. Thinking this was the reset, I pulled it again. Nothing. The hammer didn't move. I repeated the procedure and released the trigger until I hear the first click, continued forward until I heard a second click. I found out this was not the reset point either. On the third try, I went past the first two clicks until I heard a much louder "clunk" that actually was the reset point. After reaching that point, I pulled the trigger back. There was a lot of dead space between the reset point and the release point. It just seemed very "mushy".

I like everything else about the gun, but I'm wondering if a gunsmith could do a trigger job on it and get rid of those issues. I called a local 'smith and he said he wasn't comfortable working on the new Beretta triggers. Is it possible the gun I was using had a problem that these guns typically don't have? So, any suggestions out there? If the trigger was fixed, I would most likely buy the gun, but I can't bring myself to purchase it at $539 with such a sloppy trigger.

Thanks for any input.

You just nailed it. I have sub in 9mm and loved everything about it until I shot it. The trigger pull is rediculous even in sa after the first shot. Therefore I coundn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I tried to get used to it but ended up giving it to my wife for home defense while i'm at work. She shoots it well and hasn't had any problems except for a few fte and I believe she was limp-wristing when these occured.

Besides the trigger, it's wide and heavy. Just my .02.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

I have a PX4 9mm with the 3 inch barrel. I had to send it back to Beretta and they replaced all the fire control part's and it was like that out of the box. It wouldn't fire in DA at all. I had to keep thumb cocking it untill it fired. As long as I didn't decock it was fine. I have about 700 without a failure. It's one of the few gun's I wished I never bought. I had to buy a bigger size pant's to carry it and it felt like it was going to fall out of pant's no matter how tight my belt was. I don't like the small grip and have small hand's. The mag that has the fold down pinky extension is uncomfortable. I would sell it but I'm not going to get raped on it. It serve's as my truck and boat gun. I just carry one of three all steel 1911's when I'm out and not going to work.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

I think I know an alternative for you.

Want a DA/SA with a decocker and a super short reset?

These will eat anything you can throw at them, too. Super accurate as well. Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro. Comes in 9mm, .40, and .45 flavors.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Heads UP!

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    I've been searching for another EDC (winter version probably) and I've pretty well settled on the Beretta Px4 Storm compact in 9mm. I'm not comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked (and I don't want to start an argument about how safe that is or how you can get used to it after a while. I may buy a Colt Defender next and give it a try, but currently I'm liking the Beretta Px4). I especially enjoy the safety-decocker it has as well as the reputation for reliability.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's owned one, shot one, carried one. I'm sure there are some negative aspects to it, so if you have any of those, chime in also.

Thanks. But hurry with your comments because I may go pick it up tomorrow. It's NIB and they want $539 for it. I checked on Gunbroker and Grabagun. Their prices are less, but by the time you add shipping and FFL and tax, you're at about the same price.

Thanks so much for you input.
    I believe I heard one big thing you'd better check out first: the rotary barrel is one of the main reasons these PX-Storms are both accurate and have low recoil BUT:
    I don't think the smallest model has the rotary barrel if that's the one you're thinking of. If true, you'd be buying a gun without the major feature of that model. SO I WOULD ADVISE VERY STRONGLY TO CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU BUY. If it were true, I'd get the middle size. Then again maybe there is a SUB-compact that doesn't have the rotary barrel, and you are looking at the mid-size. If so, forget the warning. Or ask just to make sure.

This is the exact gun I settled on for carry and I chose it for the same reasons you are. Great gun, no issues, highly recommend one.

I have the PX4 Storm Compact (JXC9F21), and it's been great. As stated above, be careful that you are looking at the Compact and not the Sub-Compact. Before I purchased mine, I had looked at several stores and they kept showing me the Sub-Compact and calling it the Compact.

Trigger on mine seems fine, and it has only had one Failure to Feed in over 700 rounds. That FTF turned out to be my fault, it was a reload where the bullet went in the case crooked.

This is my EDC and it has operated flawlessly on various factory loaded ammunition of various types. I typically practice at 10 yards and it shoots right where it is pointed, every time, even when it is not pointed at the center of a target.

The going price in Atlanta seems to be $489 - $539. Since you are right at the high end, I would suggest a little more looking.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I have the PX4 Storm Compact (JXC9F21), and it's been great. As stated above, be careful that you are looking at the Compact and not the Sub-Compact. Before I purchased mine, I had looked at several stores and they kept showing me the Sub-Compact and calling it the Compact.

Trigger on mine seems fine, and it has only had one Failure to Feed in over 700 rounds. That FTF turned out to be my fault, it was a reload where the bullet went in the case crooked.

This is my EDC and it has operated flawlessly on various factory loaded ammunition of various types. I typically practice at 10 yards and it shoots right where it is pointed, every time, even when it is not pointed at the center of a target.

The going price in Atlanta seems to be $489 - $539. Since you are right at the high end, I would suggest a little more looking.
    This is good advice, a lot of the shops I looked at seemed to be under the impression that the SC was infact the Compact, so if the compact is what you want, make sure that is indeed what it is.

Hey guys - Thanks so much for all the input. I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and picked it up yesterday. Price was $538 after tax, which seemed pretty fair to me after pricing it at Bass Pro. I'm very impressed with it, even though I haven't fired it yet. Very sexy looking gun and it seems to be made well. I did have a little trouble reassembling it the first time after the field strip, but I figured it out. It is the Compact, not the SC. In face, I made a YouTube video about it. I'm planning on making a couple more on it. Here's a link if you'd like to see it. I don't have any photos other than the video.

BERETTA 9MM PX4 COMPACT

Feel free to leave a comment on the youtube page if you'd like. Thanks a lot for all your input.

Michael

The take down pin is a P.I.T.A to put back in if you pull it out all the way.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    YES... my favorite all around, easier to shoot pistol. It is very easy to be accurate with it because it is soooo smooth. Great for carry and great for HD. I have owned many different brands by the way. I am even thinking of getting the .45 version in full size.

I always try to carry it first, if it prints too much I take the Glock 26.

Links