Suggestions please....

This is a discussion on Suggestions please.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for suggestion for a pistol or revolver for an ole maid retired school teacher who has a budget of $250. She just plans to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Suggestions please....

Suggestions please....

Looking for suggestion for a pistol or revolver for an ole maid retired school teacher who has a budget of $250. She just plans to use it as a house defense gun. And yes, she is scheduled to take a basic gun course on handling etc. I am thinking Makarov or small 38 but not sure I can locate one for that price. Thanks for any suggestions.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

You're talking pawn shops.

You probaly can find a derringer for way less, but, would spend an extra $50 and start with a Bersa 380.

Stubborn, 1959 and NH_Esau like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    If she's new to hand guns I'd probably steer her towards a DA revolver in .38spl - You might find something reasonable used at a local gun shop or even a pawn shop.

Mark's Outdoor Sports in Birmingham (not sure how far that is from you) has a used Rossi .38 revolver listed for $299... probably could haggle that down to $260-$275
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Senior Moderator
    You should be able to find a Taurus 738 or a Bersa in .380 for that price new, and your choices open up more if you go used.

Makarovs are not very shooter friendly
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    "Gene" has the answer right here. Doesn't get any simpler or any more reliable than this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Like pgrass, I would not recommend a Makarov or any other gun chambered in 9 Mak. While a decent defensive round, it is quite snappy. My wife shoots a 9mm, but absolutely hates my CZ82 chambered in 9 Mak. Before steering her towards a semi auto, make sure she rack the slide, if not go with a revolver.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    "Gene" has the answer right here. Doesn't get any simpler or any more reliable than this.
    Thanks. I really wasn't recommending that particular gun. I was just trying to give the OP an idea of what might be available in $250 price range. However, you're right for a home defense gun. .38 revolver would be a good choice.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

For an "Ole Maid" with no handgun experience, a Mak (or any other semi-auto) is a bad choice.

On her budget (or for a few bucks more), the best prospects I know of are a Rossi, EAA, or Taurus in .38 or .357. Any of these can be found for under $300.

Academy carries the Rossi's and Taurus. I've seen the Rossi .38 on sale for $200, and the .357 for (IIRC) $229. The .357 would be a better choice, due to the longer barrel (3" vs. 2"), and she can shoot .38's to reduce recoil.

Bud's has the EAA Windicator 2" .38 for $244, or the 4" .357 for $267. You might be able to find comparable prices locally, if you catch them on sale.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Mark's Outdoor Sports in Birmingham (not sure how far that is from you) has a used Rossi .38 revolver listed for $299... probably could haggle that down to $260-$275
    They're $260 brand new at Academy.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    How much ammo and price? I have one also but for my collection. I woouldn't recommend it to a somebody of they have a hard time with thier hands. The trigger pull IMO is significant. Ammo is normally hard to come by and is expensive. And as far as choices I beleive they are only FMJ. Much better choices out there.

If you click the link in Gene83's reply in box 4. Scroll down and look on the right. They have a new Ruger 380 for $299. Meets the budget and not as much recoil.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks guys....some great suggestions....probably go with a 38 wheel gun if I can get one in her budget.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links